A GUI for installing MaNGOS server

Guest FNoble

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't believe there exists a GUI for installing MaNGOS.

I know, atleast to those savvy to setting up MaNGOS, that its not too dificult to get started; however, to beginners compiling binaries, configuring .configs, and copying files leads to problems. So, I propose to create a program that does it for you.

Does anyone think it would be worthwile pursuing my idea?

Yes, this is worth the effort.

Suggestion: check out the MySQL server setup repository (Subversion repository url).

The installer is written using the Windows Installer Toolkit aka. WiX. Recent release are updated weekly, and a pretty much complete tutorial for WiX is available, too.

The MySQL server setup is a pretty good template for creating a Windows installer for MaNGOS.

Have a look at the repository, and enjoy the fun of Windows installer.

Another suggestion: look at NSIS.

It's used by literally hundreds of programs, both commercial and freeware. A partial list is here.

As of version 2.0, there is also a Linux version available.

NSIS would be fantastic, that's true.. But I had in mind something that would not include the sources, or a pre-compiled binary.

A simple [still easy to use and looking nice] interface that would simplify compiling and configuring mangosd.conf file.

The script would check all dependencies, eventual environment variables, prefix options, compile using gcc and install at the pre-defined directory.

Another screen would allow users to configure their servers.

I dont know.. But I have to admit that brainstorming now is better. Nobody likes to waste time developing something that could be better.

What do u guys think ?

:)

My initial concept is to develop an application that finds and compiles the MaNGOS biaries for the user via user input and Visual C++'s command line commands, asks the user where they wan't the server to be installed, then installs the SQL files.

Thats just my inital concept and came to me this morning. I'll check out your suggestions. Quite excited now.

Whichever route you choose, just a few things to keep in mind:

-MaNGOS changes frequently, so expect to have to update it constantly.

-compiling the installer with the UDX-packed option will make it smaller, but it will raise alarms with many AV software packages. In this case, bigger may be better just to avoid the "Zomg! MaNGOS has a virus!" false alarms. I'm speaking from personal experience here. :P

My initial concept is to develop an application that finds and compiles the MaNGOS biaries for the user via user input and Visual C++'s command line commands, asks the user where they wan't the server to be installed, then installs the SQL files.

Thats just my inital concept and came to me this morning. I'll check out your suggestions. Quite excited now.

I've never used the POSIX version of NSIS, but the Windows version can definitely do this. There are literally hundreds of plugins available to expand the basic features. You could even go so far as to run the MD5 plugin on the client before using AD.EXE in order to verify it's the correct client version, etc. NSIS has absolutely no problem reading/writing the registry and environment settings, so gathering required info about the system (do they have Visual C++ and MySQL installed, etc) would be fairly simple.

This would be pretty easy to do with just a batch file but I don't know if there is a git stub to just execute to get command. MySQL could be done the old NCDB way, C++ just the way you described, and finally extraction just need to provide AD. Batch files are awsome they are equivalent to scripts and the only diffrence is that you would need to include the executable to get the source. I like the idea though with all the complaints, I guess we can help people get started then they can learn by messing with the batch file.

If you develop an installer for Windows, please use Windows Installer and not NSIS. Windows installer supports everything needed, including verification of dependencies, merge modules for required libraries, it can create update packages - and those are needed if we want steady rebuilds for each commit - and it is supported inside Visual Studio.

Additional benefits of WiX include multi-language support, and easy installer creation from Visual Studio, as there is a plugin.

Please do not use non-standard installers like NSIS, or InstallShield. They all in some points violate the Windows rules for application deployment. I would prefer a clean installer more, even if it takes longer to create.

I just created a batch file turned it into a exe and packaged it using WinRAR and I also borrowed your icon if you don't mind. I also included the batch file so someone can make improvements it includes MSYSGIT which is why it is so large. This is perfect to put it on a USB drive. Currently it only checkouts the source and updates it. I could not figure out what was required and what wasnt so I just kept all the MSYSGIT files besides the docs if you can figure them out it would surely reduce the size of it by allot. Its not quite a GUI but it works for the people not willing to use command line.

EDIT: My AV gave off a warning better not try this ill fix it and put the new link up

EDIT2:

Fixed it it was the batch compiler so now ill just use the batch file

http://filebeam.com/567b6f785847e27a7499ed645c36d075

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use