Wiki needs you!

Guest Toinan67

Hi,

I hope you're aware of the shiny new wiki created recently by TheLuda.

As you can see on this page, the wiki is growing a bit more every day, but I think it's not enough. I'd like to see more guides, tutorials, and other stuff that would help new MaNGOS contributors. When I say tutorials, it's not about how install the last great repack for your public server, but tutorial on the source code itself.

So I've recently started a tutorial about spells : MaNGOS spell system

It's just the beginning and what I'm asking for is the help of others contributors to :

-help me writing this tutorial : correct wrong translations, correct wrong statements, explain new things, etc. Actually I'm not a great C++ dev, what I write is just what I understand at the moment. I know some of you will find this page amusing, but keep in mind we were not all born "Vladimir" :P

-create others tutorials about whatever you want : items, guilds, units, quest, battlegrounds, or more generic stuff like maps/vmaps, sessions, world, grid, etc.

-create any other page you want, in any category you want (dev ideas need contribution!)

Those tutorials are not here to replace a documentation, just to introduce some ideas to people, in a accessible way, less "automatic" than a generated documentation.

Besides that, Electros has started to transfer all the DB structures pages from UDB wiki to this wiki. I think it's a good thing to have it on MaNGOS side, too (in case UDB wiki is down for example).

So I've continued the work, added some missing tables, renamed somes old ones, added some missing fields, modified some outdated fields type. But there is still work to be done

If you have some knowledge about MaNGOS db structure, don't hesitate to bring your contribution, you will have everybody's gratitude.

Thanks!

Take care

Update!

-it was a bit hard to access the wiki the last few days, so I wasn't able to do a lot

-Darkknight900 has recently created the DBC pages : click here to read them

-I've continued a very very little bit my spell tutorial, and added a few tables in the world structure

-new short dev idea about the normalization of Locations in MaNGOS

-I'd like to highlight 2 wiki pages written by freghar : Database layout improvements and Database storage in strings. They're very interesting and need some people to give their opinion. I also wanted to encourage freghar, other devs, and every mangos contributor to talk about substantive issues in MaNGOS. The "Development ideas" category is a great opportunity for us to rethink some basic (≠ simple) things that might have been badly done in the past.

Thanks for your future participation !

May I add a suggestion? MediaWiki.org has a pretty damn good page collection about the database behind MediaWiki, starting at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Database_layout. This page sums up which tables added / removed per MediaWiki version, and single table pages like http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Categorylinks_table have a great style for describing tables, and the changes.

What do you think? I'd copy the required templates over to our Wiki, and adapt them for our needs, if more people - except me - like the style :)

eventAI guide clearly

differences between eventAi and SD2 ("which to use when") can be already found at http://www.scriptdev2.com/showthread.php?t=2153

(perhaps a bit update would be usefull)

SD2 script-guides should in my opinion be handled atm at SD2.

And preparing a guide about usable functions for SD2 is part of the mangos interface, but that's too much in progress to be worth taking up the time to write a guide..

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use