Git extension for Windows

Guest TheLuda

Yes, finally there is some more Git love on Windows!

Check out this Git repository, you will find a shell extension that enables Git usage from shell, and a Visual Studio 2008 plugin for Git.

I think this is what all the SVN loving people have waited for :)

Give it a try.

I saw that yesterday myself however looking through the source code it still seems to be heavily reliant on running git through mingw or cygwin as it is only a wrapper for the process. Being an accomplished developer i'm sure you noticed that all it does is call the git.exe process and redirect in/output.

What would be REALLY nice is a git library/dll which could be used to build git enabled apps. in that way there would be no need to have mingw or cygwin installed at all and i'm sure that would also translate to a performance boost on windows as well.

I have been contemplating making such a library in c# along the lines of the jgit library but alas time eludes me :(.

At any rate this is a nice advancement on the windows side for git i might give it a go sometime.

• 6 months later...
What now..?

How come not a single one of your 4 posts makes any sense to me?

It has been noticed earlier, I plan to monitor such users and if they won't prove any non-bot like answers, they'll get deleted.

edit: 5th message proved it was a bot, so .. deleted and banned.

I've been trying out TortoiseGit recently, and I'm impressed. Works smoother than TortoiseSVN. The only issue I have found is tht you should use Git only with OpenSSH from msysgit, and not with Putty or TortoisePLink, as ssh authentication with those does seem to fail with TortoiseGit.

Yeah TortoiseGit is cool, but I don't know how to merge :mellow:

German language file would be nice, too ^_^

Can you tell me how to merge a branch?

Yeah TortoiseGit is cool, but I don't know how to merge :mellow:

German language file would be nice, too ^_^

Can you tell me how to merge a branch?

commit first to your local copy...

you right-click the source folder, then select "TortoiseGit > Merge"...

then select the branch to merge, ex: "remotes/origin/master"...

then press OK...

you'll get a list of merge results (Added, Modified, Conflict)...

you double-click an entry to view the changes in TortoiseDiff...

for conflicts, you must fix them in TortoiseDiff then choose "Mark as Resolved"...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use