[Q]How to spawn NPC's on moving objects?

WoW treats transports, such as the zeppelin at Icecrown or the Kraken that sails from Stormwind to Valiance Keep, as moving maps according to the discussion in this thread... [Patch] Support for npc on transport

There has been no further work on this in quite some time, to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully, someone will step up to continue development as it is sorely needed as much as Vehicles support for many quests and encounters. With some of the recent core commits that have improve movement splines and some other things, it may be possible to create a better solution.

I'd give my two front teeth to do it, but my C++ studies are progressing very slowly, thanks to a series of hardware failures and a case of pneumonia that laid me out for a few weeks. :(

If you feel inclined to do so, lay your hands on one of the many free C++ compilers, books, and tutorials, then jump right in and lend a hand, angeleyes! ;)

• 41 years later...

I have a question: how can you spawn an npc on a moving object? For example on the zeppelin's in icecrown and on the ghostship Sister Mercy in Howling Fjord.

When you spawn NPCs here, as soon as the object starts to move they stay behind and thus fall off. Any ideas?

I've already asked @ UDB forum and was told that it's not supported by Mangos yet. Someone working on it? Especially in Icecrown you miss a lot of NPC's and thus quests because they cannot be spawned on the zeppelin's.

I would love to, but unfortunately, between my job and my study at university there is only a small amount of free time left (if any) which I spend on fixing the bugs on our server on the database. I do know a lot about SQL, but C++ is just not something I have the time or the energy for to learn from scratch.

I hope to contribute by sometimes pointing out the things missing in Mangos that are in my eyes badly needed.

Hope you understand the situation. I do understand that the people that do development at Mangos have time restraints as well and I always think your private and professional (or student) life should come before working on Mangos.

Well, on one running server (fork of Trinity, I do believe, though it claim to be own core) do have NPC's at zeppelins and ships, though some of them may be laying dead on the deck. :/ So it seems it can be done, at least partially.

Great, so where can I find their source code? Otherwise this is useless information. Of course it can be done! In fact, I know of one server that had it implemented perfectly...