Is WOW single or multiple servers per individual connection?[restored]

Guest VladimirMangos

Sorry, thread has been deleted by me by error. Original content:

I know MANGOS is setup as a single server but is that the way WOW also works? Basically, when one travels to another land does one stay on the same server/port? In looking through my captures for Lego Universe, I noticed that when I traveled from one world to another, the server IP and port changed. Lego Universe always had a loading screen when traveling to another world. I do not recall if WOW had a visible loading screen when traveling to another land. It has been many, many years since I played WOW. Thanks, Patrick

Here is my take on this, based mostly on my assumptions, and a little information I read on this forum.

There are loading screens when traveling between continents, and to and from battlegrounds and instances. As I understand it there is no change in server IP-adress or port, but I assume they do use separate machines for the different continents and battlegrounds (multi-realm) and instances. So the server IP we see probably belongs to a proxy that takes care of the networkconnections to the clients, and does the encryption and compression and redirects information to the correct server, dependent on the characters location. The loading screens are probably to mask the handover between servers.

As I said, these are mostly my speculations. I have no solid information.

• 3 weeks later...

There used to be an error message you would get sometimes when switching continents saying "Server transfer failed" or "Instance server unavailable" or some such thing that applied it might very well be a separate process, possibly on another system. Also, I believe that in the current WoW, there is an opcode to redirect the client to a world server session at another address.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use