Help defend server

sjizzle

Question

16 answers to this question

When it's a SYN flood the CPU and Memory utilization wouldn't be overloaded. Anyway thanksTheLuda for you quick help, I will maybe implement this as a prevention, but first I need to do more research on this.

In our case, both CPU and Memory are dealing with a high load and will eventually crash the server.

Have you checked any of your log files to see what exactly they are trying to access? Perhaps they found something that just causes high load on the server which you could optimize or require authentication. Blocking their IP is not probably not an ideal solution as yourself and others have pointed out "spoofing" an IP / using a proxy is extremely easy, even for a novice script kiddie.

I think the first step is just determining what they are trying to access since there will be different steps whether it's http, ssh, ftp, etc

If log files are not helpful, you could try using tcpdump while they are attacking the server to see what kind of traffic is actually bringing the server to a crawl

We've a Debian server with 16 GB of ram and a ssd disc, our cpu is low and memory arround 7% when the server is up. But when the attacks start CPU increase and RAM will be full within minutes. Maybe I can post a PCAP file if someone is interested ?

Archived