JMaNGOS

Schiffer

Hi!

We are pleasure to invite you to the JMaNGOS Community!

JMaNGOS is an educational project.

This means, our primary interest is to learn and teach us and our users more about Java project development in a large scale. Our software is not intended for running public servers, and we do not support that.

JMaNGOS is not a MaNGOS on Java. It's a new way. But we are very happy to use MaNGOS and TrinityCore experience. Thank you a lot!

Acknowledgement: Java, Eclipse, Maven, Nexus, Jenkins and Git.

Supported platforms (JVMs): Sun, Oracle, OpenJDK.

http://jmangos.org/

No, I cannot support this.

Educational aspect on large scale programming are rather independendly from the programming language, and hence there is no reason to create a project with more or less the same goals as mangos has.

Would be more reasonable in my opinion if you guys would join the c++ side (and get a free cookie) - and then put your efforts into mangos :)

Schmoozerd, thanks for your reply. :)

Actually, I'd like to try use exactly Java with a lot of opensource 3rdParty software. As we know, Java is more easy and abstract language, so development process will be more quickly. Also a lot of company (like as HP or IBM) involved with make development flow with more less enter level and more quick great success. I mean the thing like Agile/Scrum in sum with especially software for improving choosed flow (like as Jenkins).

A lot of thing what you made for MaNGOS manually (c++) you can just find for Java in googlecode/sourceforge/apache/jboss/codehouse/etc.

The greater thing is ORM, like Hibernate.

PS: Sorry for my bad English.

Isnt Java JIT compiled? I have never seen a stressed java application work out well, so i think you are out on deep water making a mmorpg server in java.

See minecraft servers for example, they are peaking any cpu you give it!

Anyways good luck with your java mangos. Hope it doesnt end like 97% of all emu projects;)

LilleCarl, Thanks :)

I have a lot of good examples server-side applications on Java. BSM, for instance.

Yes, such products will spend more resources in compare with c++. But it's cloud-time! :)

We won't try to safe each byte of RAM. We would like to make a big J2EE project and get experience with this. We can stop spend so much time with writing code and let's think about general architecture. It's opposite of philosophy of C++ :)

Good luck with your project. I frankly do not see the point in rewriting MaNGOS, though.

What exactly do you expect to learn from this, seriously? Translating C++ code into Java? Come on...

Writing a emulator server for a popular MMO? There is much more to learn then just copying MaNGOS code. You need to analyze the network protocol and such - stuff you will not learn here, as it is pretty much DONE (for everything up to WoTLK at least)

Writing a new MMO? Again, MaNGOS code is only part of the deal.

It's opposite of philosophy of C++

And the whole argument of language difficulty and entry level is a lot of BS. Writing an MMO Server IS NOT an entry level project. Never has been. Never will be (well, never say never, but still). Good luck anyway. Please try not to steal users from us :P

shlainn, thank you

A quote from our website:

JMaNGOS is not a MaNGOS on Java. It's a new way. But we are very happy to use MaNGOS and TrinityCore experience. Thank you a lot!

We won't just translate MaNGOS on Java. We would like use only your experience (with agreement of GPL, of course :) ).

We expect from this project new experience with development java project in the team.

A lot of Java standards, technologies, features. I am Java developer, and I hope such ploy will be more better than just read another one Java book.

Just leave him alone guys! He just wanted to inform you that he is doing this! It will take at least a year to do a complete translation anyways ^^, My hope is that you instead of translating stuff launch a mangos or trinitycore server and sniff packets! Like the mangos developers did!:)

Good luck, and make sure to have fun!:)

I think this sounds like a reasonably good idea, from an educational point of view anyways, never hurts to be fluent in multiple languages and a project like mangos is massive enough yet fun to learn from. Although I'll be sticking with mangos, i'd be very interested to see how the jmangos project tackles certain things. good luck

I think LilleCarl had a great suggestion because then you'll actually be thinking about and writing code versus just reading c++ code and porting it to java in which very little would actually be learned

Good luck with JMangos Schiffer! I hope you get something out of your project.

I have also tried programming WoW emulators to see how far I could get, and to learn more about programming/computers/etc. (never really expecting to succeed) One such emu was written in C#, which in the end was only able to authenticate users and send them to the realm list. If I improved the networking code & packet handling I could've probably created at least a sandbox emulator.

Right now as a side project I am trying to program a vanilla wow emulator in c++. If I keep on it I'll probably be done programming a basic server in....oh, a year or two. The design principles are good but it's insanely hard to take on a task like emulation and server programming. Especially when you are still learning! I've been teaching myself how to program (mainly in C/C++, but other languages too) since 2008 or so and I'm still far from any form of expertise.

By the way, which version of WoW are you trying to emulate? Vanilla, TBC, WoTLK, Cata ?

LilleCarl, I'm not alone :) Currently in my team are three developers :)

antiroot, thanks :) Follow us. And, again, we don't making port of MaNGOS on Java...

Froid, thank you :) We don't decided yet about version. Currently we having a lot of discuss about general architecture. What the version it will be - doesn't meant now.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to wish you luck, I can tell you server-side Java is more than capable of doing this in fact i'm a little surprised no one has tried it already considering Java's very efficient and relatively easy to use threading model.

Yes their are some areas in which Java can lag a bit such as Swing but most of these can be worked around using the aforementioned threading and pretty much won't apply to a non-gui server app anyways.

And even from just an educational standpoint its still worthwhile, I wrote MaNGOLin simply because my java skills had become incredibly rusty as I had moved back to C for a long time when I switched employers.

And don't let the naysayers bother you, I produced my app even when their were loads of other more than capable Mangos admin tools about, simply because I wanted to re-learn java which I have always liked.

bannor, thank you! I completely agree with you. Java was made exactly for server-side applications.

theluda, yes, we moving on :)

With Java it can be so fast.

We working on basic JUnit test cases right now. But it's only beginning - in my plans I would like having also automation user cases testing and load testing. And all tests will be run automatically inside continuous integration system after each commit.

Archived