Please don't yell TOO loud...

LordPsyan

Don't know where to put this, so I figured an open cafe forum might be the best place for me to post my thoughts, without getting slammed with comments like "that isn't blizzlike" or "we don't support that here".

Let me start by saying this: The only way you can play World of Wacraft patch 2.4.3 (The Burning Crusades) is through a private server. Blizzard does not offer this awesome patch version anymore.

With that being said, I want to go beyond the game. I know how to create items, creatures etc. all the fun DB stuff using many of the fun tools out there (Though my most used tool is notepad++). I have edited many dbc files, to manipulate things like making gm island a sanctuary, and adding new maps that I created using some programs I won't mention (unless someone asks).

What I want to know, is where can I go for help in things such as adding areatriggers. I modified areatrigger.dbc and I added the entry to areatrigger_teleport in the database. .go trigger xxx sends me to the trigger, and .trigger shows it there and active, but nothing ever happens. This bugs me.

It also bugs me that mangos is supporting 1.12 2.4.3 3.3.5a and 5.x.... yet they only have information (udbwiki is the only source I have found) for 3.3.5a. Where can I find dbc structure info for 2.4.3 or 1.12.0? When will mangos have its own wiki so basic information for each core can be obtained easily? (willing to start writing one for 2.4.3 if anyone wants).

Sorry for the long post, and I already know "we don't support dbc editing because it is illegal" but I chose mangos, after all these years, over trinitycore for 1 reason... cleaner code.

I work with the people at strawberrycore (4.3.4 emu) and because of this, I have had to submerge myself into mangos core, to refamiliarize myself with the coding structure.

At least MaNGOS doesn't spend all their time making hundreds of tiny changes to the core that consist of only renaming variables....

Thanks for your time if you read my rant. Please post wonderful positive responses.

Totally agree that a powerfull and unified wiki would be very neat.

I think everybody should be able to start wiki pages on our github pages.

About structure: Sometimes client versions include debug information, from which knowing ppl like TOM_RUS can extract dbc structures very solidly.

Maybe he has / can extract some for 2.35, and 1.12.

For the used DBC files, the structure can be taken from the moangos sources (not the nicest but possible way)

About your areaTrigger question:

Areatriggers are triggered client-side, so actually you also must patch your client files to get the results you want to.

I think customizations are supported i some categories, dbc editing is something i do not know for sure about, but since it is allowed to discuss the dbc extractor, dbc editing should be as allowed as that.

In community projects there are custom code right?:)

Good luck with your editing:)

I have a patch client side. have the areatrigger.dbc file I mod'd and all my map edits, sound edits, etc. in there. Still no go with areatriggers. It is funny, its almost like nothing works edit wise on dbc's in 2.4.3. in 3.3.5a I can get all this stuff to work no problem. music crashes the client with no error message when an mp3 finishes playing. so odd. anyways I checked the code for the dbc files in places like dbcstructure and dbcenums dbcfmt etc. I pretty much know those files inside and out. just some fields are ignored by the core, that I think the client may need if you have custom stuffs. wowdev seems to have good info, but I can't find anything specific to 2.4.3... tho I really didn't look much. Lets get a wiki going for all the patches we support :)

oh, and I just wanted to mention.... never had a post about dbc editing end with "good luck" :) thanks.

Haha, well i wish you good luck because you are trying to achieve something! Even if i do not have any interest at all in client modifications:) But i guess you are having errors because of field mismatches;) There might be some info on ownedcore about the 2.4.3 structure:) (check TOM_RUS profile to see where you should look)

That client editing section on ownedcore seem to have some brained people. Unlike the actual emulator section, hehe!:)

Check it out and good luck again!;)

That client editing section on ownedcore seem to have some brained people. Unlike the actual emulator section, hehe!:)

Check it out and good luck again!;)

Thanks. I have had a membership on ownedcore for awhile. Even part of the noggit team, or at least was... haven't been active. It is hard to find anything specific to 2.4.3 on ownedcore. or anywhere else for that matter. i'll figure it out eventually... it's not like my life will end if I don't get this working... it would just be nice to figure it out.

anyways thanks for the good lucks, and i'll post if I figure it out.

• 1 month later...

This kinda drops nicely into a project i'm currently working on... i'm currently looking to redevelope AD.exe to include the DBC information into the Database.

Since I want to make this compatible with all the 5 major versions of Wow, I will need to document the changes between each version.

My general thoughts atm are for a page for each file... i.e. chrRaces.DBC

Then have tabs for the 5 versions

• 1 month later...

Archived