CharImport - Character Converter (Cross-Emu) [EN/GER]

Guest megasus_

CharImport is a character converter for World of Warcraft private servers. The tool can copy characters from the Armory or from a database to another server. It is also possible to store character profiles in template files, which can be divided / distributed and re-imported.

You can e.g. copy all accounts with their characters to another server or individual accounts and characters. The best thing is: The two servers do not need to be based on the same Core!

And there are many more uses...

The program currently supports the following emulations (Cores):

• TrinityCore, MaNGOS, SkyFire, ArcEmu and others that are based on the foregoing.

Please note, that it might not work with your client patch!

Features

It's difficult to mention all features because of the complexity of the tool. The best way to find it out is simply to try it. ;)

Transmitting of character profiles from the official WoW Armory

> Enter multiple Armory links

> If you enter only one link: character overview is possible

> Store the profiles in template files

> Copy the characters to a database:

> Options:

> For each character, create a new account

> Create new accounts with all characters

> Add all characters specified accounts

> overwrite existing character(s)

> The following attributes are transferable:

> Items

> Gems

> Enchantments

> Primary / Secondary Glyphs

> Character Level

> Race

> Class

> And more ;)

Transmitting of character profiles from the database

> Options:

> Copy all accounts with their characters

> Just copy certain accounts with their characters

> Just copy certain characters[/indent]

> If you specify only one character: character overview is possible

> Store the profiles in template files

> Copy the characters to a database:

> Options:

> Create all accounts with their characters

> Create a new account for each character

> Create new accounts with all characters

> Add all characters to specified accounts

> Overwrite existing characters[/indent]

> The following attributes are transferable:

> Password

> Items

> Gems

> Enchantments

> Skills

> Spells

> Appearance

> Badges, arena rating, honor, etc.

> Primary / Secondary Glyphs

> Character Level

> Race

> Class

> Primary / Secondary Talents

> And more

Patch filter

This feature is only available on the character overview interface. It removes all items of the character that do not exist in the selected patch.

Transmitting of character profiles from template files

Template files always have the extension '.ciu'. In those files all character and account information are stored. In the main menu you can open these files and start a transfer of the properties. The available options depend on the destination emulator. If only one character is stored in a template file you can also open the overview interface. Of course, these files can be opened from anywhere.

Important notes:

First the tool is still in beta state, there may occur errors, crashes and issues. Some features are still missing and also some core revisions are not supported. Should the program determine that it does not know some relevant tables in the database, it prompts the user to send me an error report. So I can fix the bug and release an update.

Please be aware that the official WoW Armory is based on the live server patch and that characters have thus items that do not exist in "your" patch. These items will not be copied. Therefore use the filter function.

Also make sure that accounts that are affected by transfers are logged out during the process!

There can also occur exceptions during the transfer of certain properties. Please use the bug report function to tell me about issues. (Please provide a detailed description of the problem / with Item IDs)

Nevertheless, in order to ensure an error-free transmission process, the program tries to identify the structure of your database and automatically make appropriate adjustments.

Notes and system requirements:

• Tested with WoW WotLK Patch 3.3.5 Patch 4.0.6 Cataclysm

• Tested with Microsoft © Windows 7 x64 & x86, Windows XP x86

• Integrated update system

• Programming Language: VB.NET

• requires .Net Framework 2.0

• requires Microsoft Windows ©

Download

Version 0.11 (Beta) English/German

Virustotal

Instructions:

1. Download the program

2. Extract Zip archive

3. Run CharImport.exe

4. Run desired operation

Please make sure that your database is accessible during the transfer and that relevant accounts are logged out!

Any Questions? > Please post them here or send me a private message.

Feedback and suggestions for are always welcome! :)

megasus

Sourcecode would be fine tho...

I think it wouldn't make much sense to make it open source. It's pretty complex and I don't think people would actually understand the structure of it, so that they would be able to improve it. Also the code is pretty messi and uncommented. ;)

However, here are some screenshots:

interface1.JPG

Interface2.JPG

I didnt see any reason not to open the sourcecode tho. Anyways GJ, but here is wrong place for closed source discussions

I have not seen any guidelines that prohibit offering a free closed source applications. I mean it's pretty silent in this section of the forum, why not? However, if it's the wrong place, a mod is free to close/delete this thread.

I didnt see any reason not to open the sourcecode tho. Anyways GJ, but here is wrong place for closed source discussions

I have not seen any guidelines that prohibit offering a free closed source applications. I mean it's pretty silent in this section of the forum, why not? However, if it's the wrong place, a mod is free to close/delete this thread.

I guess publishing free closed source apps is okay, but it's a >development< community.... You may understand LittleCarls point. :P

Anyway, since this is just an obfuscated .NET Application you can easily decompile CIL...

There is no rule that states third-party software for MaNGOS must be open source or even free.

MaNGOLin is one long-standing example. For a while, the Windows version of that handy admin tool was both closed source and payware. So it's okay for this character import-export tool to be offered here in the fashion the author sees fit.

It may be there is code or APIs megasus doesn't wish to share for commercial reasons.

megasus, this appears to be one of the better tools of this kind. It has a polished, well laid out interface and looks to be full of many useful features. However, you must forgive the suspicion met with over the closed source. There have been several such freeware tools posted in the past that were actually spyware or trojans, many designed to hijack retail WoW accounts or exploit MaNGOS servers. Such malware rarely gets past the crowd here, since almost everyone is either a developer or has learned the value of security the hard way and keeps a close eye on things.

Having your utility as open source would do much to alleviate such concerns. Otherwise, it will take some time for users to observe it in action and offer up feedback. Passing scrutiny for any security issues before any closed source software posted here gains a reputation for being trustworthy is just being prudent and does not necessarily imply you or your work is unwelcome.

Thank you for your hard work. I hope the feedback will be good.

Having your utility as open source would do much to alleviate such concerns. Otherwise, it will take some time for users to observe it in action and offer up feedback. Passing scrutiny for any security issues before any closed source software posted here gains a reputation for being trustworthy is just being prudent and does not necessarily imply you or your work is unwelcome.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I've thought about it and I decided to publish the Visual Studio solution.

Please keep in mind that I am still a beginner and that this is my first "bigger" project. There might be code that is "awkward" ;) or even unnecessary.

Also some comments are in german, some are in english. To change the language of the layout: Select the form and set the language property to English.

Feel free to correct me, make changes and give me feedback!

# Requires Visual Studio 2010

Download

Virustotal

Password:

.v9Oc#4Yhd#

Except the obvious security questions that arises with a closed source tool i don't see any other reason for it to be enforced to open source. Maybe in the future the creator might add some extra "premium" features and charge for them, since there's alot of competition among the private servers atm and it's a high demand among players for character transfers.

Anyway, be it closed or open source it's a great tool that no doubt required alot of time and energy to develop and we should appreciate the work and the fact that it's shared for free.

Thank you.

Once more, you have my thanks, megasus.

I know it took at least some measure of courage to post the source for your character import-export utility. Then again, many artists are nervous about revealing their work for the first time. However, please don't feel too self-concious about your work. Even if the code really is a mess, you've done far better than many and you will only get better as you continue. Another benefit to publishing your source will indeed be the helpful criticism of more experienced coders.

Not only have you made a tool that works across multiple server cores, but it's bi-lingual, too. I hope there will be those who will broaden this utility's appeal by localizing it into other languages. Perhaps there may even be the opportunity in making a Linux version so it will also be multi-platform.

I admire your generosity in giving us the gift of your work and insight into it with the source. You've done far better than I could! My best C++ program, so far, is "Hello, world!" :lol:

I do hope you will continue to expand and improve upon this utility. Perhaps you can add support for all five versions of WoW, from the original to Mists Of Pandara, or add in a way to edit specifics before importing.

We certainly need a new generation of application and tools developers. I was just telling Sys the same. Things like item and gear creators, NPC generators, a full-featured mail server, and UI addons, like MangAdmin, are very much needed. The existing utilities are no longer maintained and showing their age.

Welcome to MaNGOS! I hope we'll see many more offerings from you, Sys, and the rest.

No reason to be ashamed of something. You do not want to see my code ... : D

I think it wouldn't make much sense to make it open source. It's pretty complex and I don't think people would actually understand the structure of it, so that they would be able to improve it. Also the code is pretty messi and uncommented. ;)

In most of my C# Applications, I'm using ressource files for UI Localizations. Have a look at this:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5447/NET-Localization-using-Resource-file

Also I've seen various C# and VB.NET projects, which used XML serialized objects for localization, so you can update UI language without modifying source code.

-- snip ---

There is an VS2010 AddIn, called ReSharper, which is very comfortable for code refactoring / clean up. It can be very helpful in finding unhandeled exceptions and other quality issues, too.

It's free for open source projects.

http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/

E.g.:

1ptds9.png

You should give it a try. :)

Just loaded this up today and it asked me to upgrade, however I get the following dialog....

'This application has been built with an evaluation version of Eazfuscator.NET, and therefore cannot be distributed.

You can install Eazfuscator.NET on this computer to be able to run this application.

This application will now quit.

Just loaded this up today and it asked me to upgrade, however I get the following dialog....

'This application has been built with an evaluation version of Eazfuscator.NET, and therefore cannot be distributed.

You can install Eazfuscator.NET on this computer to be able to run this application.

This application will now quit.

Thanks for letting me know. I will release an update within the next few minutes.

Yep, thats fixed that problem, but still can't get the import to work..

I saw quite a few errors go by during the convert

Here is the contents of the errorlog.txt:-

CharImport [universal] - 0.10.2.403 (Beta)

System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate // 6.1.7601.65536 // Win32NT

[04/09/2012 22:19:41] Application started

[04/09/2012 22:20:15] Armory_Interface_Load call

[04/09/2012 22:20:58] "Copy Characters directly into Database" selected

[04/09/2012 22:20:58] Characters are: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/alonsus/Paldin/advanced

[04/09/2012 22:20:58] Armory_Interface_Load call

[04/09/2012 22:20:58] Connect open request

[04/09/2012 22:20:58] Armory_Interface_closing call

[04/09/2012 22:20:59] Trinity checked

[04/09/2012 22:20:59] Connect_Load call

[04/09/2012 22:21:01] mangos checked

[04/09/2012 22:21:30] Standard login info call

[04/09/2012 22:21:30] Connect request with automatic checked

[04/09/2012 22:21:32] Could find character db and auth db

[04/09/2012 22:21:36] Create new character selected

[04/09/2012 22:22:28] Continue (Button5) clicked

[04/09/2012 22:22:35] cata checked

[04/09/2012 22:23:00] Start corecheck request

[04/09/2012 22:23:04] Database_Check_Load call

[04/09/2012 22:23:04] DB Report:

Table_Schema:

######## characters ########

guid

account

name

race

class

level

xp

money

playerBytes

playerBytes2

playerFlags

position_x

position_y

position_z

map

dungeon_difficulty

orientation

taximask

cinematic

totaltime

leveltime

logout_time

is_logout_resting

rest_bonus

resettalents_cost

resettalents_time

primary_trees

trans_x

trans_y

trans_z

trans_o

transguid

extra_flags

stable_slots

at_login

zone

death_expire_time

taxi_path

totalKills

todayKills

yesterdayKills

chosenTitle

watchedFaction

drunk

health

power1

power2

power3

power4

power5

power6

power7

specCount

activeSpec

exploredZones

equipmentCache

ammoId

knownTitles

actionBars

slot

deleteInfos_Account

deleteInfos_Name

deleteDate

[04/09/2012 22:23:13] Send report call

[04/09/2012 22:23:18] Continue Transmission call with startcondition: 42

[04/09/2012 22:23:31] opensql_call @trinity

[04/09/2012 22:23:31] addchars_call @mangos with targetaccount: Antz, charactername: Pallly, namechangeeverytime : False

[04/09/2012 22:23:31] charexist_call @mangos for character: Pallly

[04/09/2012 22:23:31] setgender_call @mangos gender: 0

[04/09/2012 22:23:31] setlevel_call @mangos

[04/09/2012 22:23:31] setrace_call @mangos

[04/09/2012 22:23:31] setclass_call @mangos

[04/09/2012 22:23:31] setgold_call @mangos with amount: 100000

[04/09/2012 22:23:31] additems_call @mangos

[04/09/2012 22:23:32] addglyphs_call @mangos expansion: cata

[04/09/2012 22:23:41] addgems_call @mangos

[04/09/2012 22:23:41] addenchantments_call @mangos

[04/09/2012 22:23:53] closesql_call @trinity

[04/09/2012 22:24:00] Starter_Application_exit call