Changing the default items characters start with.

Guest quinten_wolfe_

Question

It is me, the newb again. With an interesting prospect.

I am attempting to change the items characters start with...

Here's what I have so far.

REPLACE INTO `playercreateinfo_item` (`race`, `class`, `itemid`, `amount`) VALUES
   (10, 8, 2589, 1),
   (10, 8, 48691, 1),
   (10, 8, 27668, 1),
   (10, 8, 42985, 1),
   (10, 8, 42947, 1),
   (10, 8, 50255, 1),
   (10, 8, 22062, 1),
   (10, 8, 22067, 1),
   (10, 8, 22064, 1),
   (10, 8, 22063, 1),
   (10, 8, 22066, 1);

race, class, itemid and amount.

Easy enough, except that I am not starting with a 'naked' character. There are already items that come from CharStartOutfit.dbc and items I add to playercreateinfo_item end up in the bags and do not replace the ones on the character.

What I am attempting to do is add heirlooms and stuff to help with the beginning of a character. Say, to speed advancement to level 40 without changing default exp gains on quests, that way the players get decent skillups too..

so.. the real question is,

Is there any way to remove the default items from CharStartOutfit.dbc on the server without having to create a patch-x.mpq file that the clients need to download?

Will it work if I make a custom CharStartOutfit.dbc without any startup gear , place it on the server and then add the new startup items to playercreateinfo_item?

Or will I still have to create a patch-x.mpq file for the clients?

5 answers to this question

Will it work if I make a custom CharStartOutfit.dbc without any startup gear , place it on the server and then add the new startup items to playercreateinfo_item?

this i have maked long time ago and worked

Great Salja!! So I do not have to make a .MPQ (as suggested by others) in order to change the default items that come on the character?

I think what they were attempting, is that the character shows the items at creation, not after log in.

I'm new to this, essentially trying to do/learn little things like this before I tackle quests and events.

So, to reiterate and confirm my thoughts.

I can extract the CharStartOutfit.dbc, turn it to a .csv, remove the starting items from it, rebuild the .dbc and replace the original one on the server, then add the items I wish to have on the starting character put into the playercreateinfo_item table?

I've made backups of everything, so incase I screw up, I can start over.

im not more sure add new items in dbc or delete all and add via sql but mpq patch is not needed

clean the dbc and add via sql and look wehn not working delete all and add your items new in dbc

Okay.. I think I follow.

I was just wondering if I could do it without the items in DBC, that way I can just add/adjust the SQL instead of having to .csv the .dbc, then make changes to it, then rebuild the .dbc and recopy to server.

Wanted to make a 'one stop' insert on the sql..

I'll give it a whirl both ways and document my results. Just thought I'd ask here first to see if I was on the right track or wasting my time.

Thanks again Salja!

Archived