Modifying Weapons?

Jorvalt

Question

Okay so I was wondering something that you guys could possibly help me with. Is there a way to modify weapon stats via maybe the SQL database or if not that then in the MaNGOS source code somewhere? I was also told by someone that even if the weapon's stats were modified it wouldn't show up on the client side when you moused over the weapon. So is it possible to send like a patch or something? And if so then how do I do that? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Afaik it's generally possible. Creating new ones can get complicated though.

The item stats can be found (and changed) in the item_template table in the mangos db. The only complicated thing that comes to my mind is changing the model ids, since they are set in item_template, the item.dbc and a client .mpq...

Afaik it's generally possible. Creating new ones can get complicated though.

The item stats can be found (and changed) in the item_template table in the mangos db. The only complicated thing that comes to my mind is changing the model ids, since they are set in item_template, the item.dbc and a client .mpq...

Ah ok. Thanks. Now I just need to know how I can send a patch out so it gets updated client side...

We do not support custom changes. You'll get no help here from the MaNGOS team.

Really? Why? I mean I tried googling this but I turned up nothing. Are you afraid if I change it then I'm going to give it to other people and take credit for it or something? I just want to modify some stuff for my server.

Because we only support using the server with an unmodified client. What you want to do will modify the game client, which in many countries is not legal. Thus we're not providing support for this.

Well it's not legal to host a private server for World of Warcraft but you still support that.

Well it's not legal to host a private server for World of Warcraft but you still support that.

Actually no, we just support the development of server software, and we support you locally running a private (aka. not publicly available) instance for development purposes. What you do beyond that is your personal affair.

Also running a server itself is no legal issue in most countries, but modifying the client software is. That is a fine line, on which we're moving here. For anything client related it is simple: we do not modify it.

Archived