What I Remember In Vanilla Retail

Arkadus

Hey, i just thouught i'd let everyone know what i remember about certain mechanics in vanilla retail that are different from the mangos zero project.

When you damage a creature, it becomes tagged to you. If an NPC helps you kill that creature and does more than 50% of the health of that creature in damage, you would not be able to loot the corpse or recieve any exp from it.

A number of mobs could be kited for as far as you could take them, and didnt have their aggro reset after a certain range.

If you skinned a beast and you closed the loot box the beast would flash up as lootable with the skinning resource you just skinned.

All world town/city Guard NPC's from both factions dropped no loot or gold/silver/copper and didnt even flash up as lootable.

Rare beasts once tamed had different stat's than regular beasts.

The sewer beast actually had a gold elite creature template when selected, this was changed after TBC was released when they reworked all the rare creatures even though the sewer beast still didnt drop anything good and spawned about once a week.

All rare mobs respawned after 24 hours from the time they were killed. p.s. I remember farming them on retail.

If you cast a spell it takes the spell damage you had at that second you released it not when the spell hits the target.

Sergra Darkthorn in xroads was virtually a 10 man raid boss and her stats are totally innacurate - personal experience many times in retail. She was immune to all forms of CC, including stun, fear, polymorph etc... and hit like a bus.

Im fairly certain trash in any of the 40 man raid instances would pretty much 1 shot anything less than a plate wearer from what i remember with many many wipes I experienced. As it currently stands the trash in many raids including AQ40 takes like 4+ hits to kill most classes with average armour. Im assuming the current stats are based on the changes they made to all raids at around TBC which nerfed them all considerably to push people through the content.

The way the current script in ZG is setup, Hakkar loses health for each high priest that is killed, while this is true the way that it is implemented isnt accurate atall. At the moment he starts at 1mil hp and each high priest has from 200-400k hp and he loses hp from the high priest that was killed and hakkar's health stops decreasing when his hp is lower than the last high priest's hp that is killed. SO you would only have to kill like 3 high priests before hes at his lowest health. Also there is nothing to modify his damage for each high priest that is alive, as it should be increased.

Besides what many think, quests in vanilla didnt take that long and you normally ran out of quests to do at many points while leveling up, having to change zones to find more. But even up at lvl 50-60 you would actually run out of solo quests and you would need to run dungeons etc... to complete more to level up.

If you went near to an enemy quest giving NPC that was a civilian it would shout "Help" and spawn 1 guard attacking its target. It would repeatedly shout "Help" about once every 10 seconds you were in aggro range and a guard would be able to respawn about once every 2 minutes. If they target died or ran away the spawned guard would travel back to its spawned location next to the quest civilian and walk around for about 1 minute before despawning.

On another note people need to remember that from the first days WoW was released the content on many dungeons/raids changed about once per month. Sometimes they were harder, sometimes they were easier. Onyxia was nerfed considerably about mid WoW vanilla. Everything went through a change at some point before TBC was released and then continuing to change past TBC.

On the mob kiting this was a bug.. and it was in fact fixed in vanilla around the 1.11-1.12 or early TBC i believe.. people would kite Lord Kazzak to orgrimmar and stormwind and would often cause a giant chaotic shit storm from there, often resulting in at least 20-60 people being banned for 3 days.

It's considered mechanic abuse and we can fix mechanics like that so people can't exploit it.

Sergra Darkthorn should be a 10 man indeed.. loved raiding xroads when i got the chance :D

The hp/ability buffs hakkars high priest do seem a bit inaccurate. I compared what his health was Suppose to be when all the high priests are dead and it didn't match up at all.

Yeah i know, you right about the world bosses and mobs being fixed, so you couldnt kite them around 1.11 but kiting world bosses was something that i loved about vanilla lol.

I just remebered about stealth aswell that if you went upto an enemy NPC stealthed from the front they would stop and face you making a "huh" noise if they were a humanoid. If you then proceded to get closer they'd aggro you and if you backed away they'd continue walking or doing whatever they were doing.

The pickpocketing skill always gave you copper/silver based on the mob's level and sometimes gave you useless grey wierd and wonderful items that could be sold for a bit more. For example a broken pocket watch or an old handkercheef. You could only pickpocket a target once and the mob would have to die and respawn in order to get any loot from pick pocketing it again.

• 2 months later...
All world town/city Guard NPC's from both factions dropped no loot or gold/silver/copper and didnt even flash up as lootable

quoted for truth. Just bumping as i was recently told that Mangos zero correctly has faction guards with an active loot table. They never had one.

this was to prevent exploiting, especially in pvp rulesets. I will remind you it was a time when certain spells/abilities could result in major griefing, discomfort and ill-conceived benefit, such as say tagging guards and dragging world bosses inside player cities (a wink to those of you remembering this)

Archived