- Both "The Perfect Stout" and "Rejold's New Brew" are available from the start, "Shimmer Stout" is not
- Turning in "Rejold's New Brew" disables "The Perfect Stout" and enables "Shimmer Stout
Intuitively, this makes no sense: "Rejold's New Brew" is the breadcrumb quest to get new characters from Kharanos to Brewnall; it even turns in at the same NPC you pick up the other two from. Following this sequence in its current state means you lock yourself out of "The Perfect Stout" and its item reward by following the most natural progression.
It seems likely that there would be comments about this on the old pages on Wowhead if this was the case, but the only relevant comment is this one, which suggests Shimmer Stout is available from the start and turning it in can lock out Rejold's New Brew (something which is impossible given this sequencing; Shimmer Stout can't even be picked up until after Rejold's New Brew is turned in). There are no comments that suggest that "The Perfect Stout" can be locked out in any way.
Here are two possible alternative sequences I've found based on information available in the various WoW databases:
This WotLK database suggests the following sequence:
- Only "The Perfect Stout" is available from the start at Brewnall.
- Turning in "The Perfect Stout" enables both "Rejold's New Brew" at Kharanos and "Shimmer Stout" at Brewnall.
This doesn't really make sense either (why would you need to go west, complete the first quest, then go back east to pick up the breadcrumb?), but it has the benefit of preventing any quest from being locked out by another.
ClassicDB, a vanilla database, suggests a different sequence, and in my opinion, this one makes the most sense:
- Rejold's New Brew is available from the start at Kharanos (and possibly Shimmer Stout, based on the old Wowhead comment attached to the article)
- Shimmer Stout is either available from the start or enabled after turning in Rejold's New Brew (as it is right now). If it is available from the start, completing it before turning in Rejold's New Brew locks you out of the breadcrumb. If it is unlocked after turning in Rejold's New Brew, it follows a linear progression and nothing can be locked out.
- Turning in Rejold's New Brew enables The Perfect Stout, which cannot be accepted before that point. This means that if Shimmer Stout is available from the start, you could lock out both quests by completing it first.
This seems the most reasonable to me. It means the breadcrumb is available from the start (unlike the WotLK db sequence) and completing it won't lock anything out. It also fits with the comment on Wowhead that suggests Shimmer Stout can lock out Rejold's New Brew (possibly an oversight on Blizzard's part, this is the kind of thing you sometimes saw with early vanilla quests), and it means the most obvious and natural progression allows all three quests to be completed.
Granted, there is some degree of speculation here, so if anyone can weigh in with some actual footage showing these quests from 3.3.5 or earlier, that would probably be helpful. Ultimately kind of a minor thing, but since it happens early on, it'll affect a lot of people.