PerryCS

Question

Good evening,

I've been in computers for 30 years, can program assorted languages, but never really got into Linux programming, etc and am pretty rusty on some aspects of Linux.

I put a Linux Mint 18 in a VM.
Installed mySQL, Git
Was able to run the commands on your website getting the server and database pulls.

After that I get lost.

I chmod +x the getmangos.sh file, got it to run, I was also able to run the install after much headache since you can't run the .sh directly but have to type ./ before the filename (which is assuming people know how to get around that).  I was able to, but, there is so many steps missing I don't have a clue what to do.  I run WOW and it gets to the login screen so who knows if it's working.  My previous attempts at this from a different website showed the Realms, I could choose the one I created and then it went back to the WOW screen and I had to choose a Realm again.  I KNOW I didn't create any users so nothing is going to work.  I also didn't extract any vmaps etc...

Where do we create users?  Install PhpMyAdmin and log in there and do it?  When do I run the vmaps etc tools or did the .sh file pull all that from the git repository?  I would assume I have to copy the WOW folder into my VM, and then copy the tools to create those into  the wow.exe folder.  

I wish someone would create a step by step guide from a fresh install of Linux Mint 18 or whatever Linux flavor they like (Ubuntu etc).  So many steps are "assumed knowledge" of the workings of Linux.  I know, that takes time... I've done docs like that for customers and it takes quite a while to write everything out, and then start from scratch following your own instructions and make sure they work.

I do have a Trinity WOTLK server I got working many years ago.  Was hoping to try Vanilla but with so much missing knowledge and every guide I try either doesn't look the same, is missing steps, or completely different I can't even guess what to do next...

I do appreciate all your time in running this, and getting it working (for others who can get it working), but I feel that so many steps are missing in the instructions on this new site it's a hopeless cause without more Linux knowledge on my part to ever get it working.

8 answers to this question

Hello PerryCS,

Thank you for your feedback. If the Linux guide is missing so many steps, it's only because I do know Linux, therefore there's no such a detailed guide at this moment. But your topic is there to demonstrate that it must be elaborated a bit.

By the way, two remarks:

- You indeed need a wow client into your VM, this is written in the pre-requisites of the tutorial.

- Launching a script with ./ isn't something such guide needs to explain, honestly, if you don't know Linux administration, the guide isn't gonna explain you how to do so.

I'm acknowledging your other remarks though.

I know doing up detailed docs is time consuming... I don't mind helping in that area... I have a massive network, computer, etc so spinning off another VM is no trouble at all - I have every ISO of every Linux since the early days...   I'll do up "what I did" step by step... and maybe with that someone can say "Hey, you missed THIS step after ..." and I can add that to the step by step.

I'll start from scratch with Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) 64bit and do up a detailed "step by step" how I did it and then maybe it will show someone who does know what they are doing where I am going wrong....  what steps to remove, modify, add, etc.  I think that would save you some time and my little contribution would be to help craft this document that could be followed exactly step by step... which helps me, and others who would come along....

I'll try to do that this week when I get some free time.  My work schedule is all over the place so I never know if I'm free most of the time, or working every day... until the day is done. :)

Well, I finally got it working with the help of my roommate.  I must say...  there is like 30 steps not mentioned unless I am doing something seriously wrong... which is possible since I do not know Linux very well.

Setting up a Mangos Zero in a fresh install of Mint 18 (Sarah) Cinnamon 64bit Desktop version by David Perry (PerryCS = Perry Computer Services)

LINUX
01. I am using VMWare but the steps will be the same even if it's not a Virtual Machine.  I gave the OS 80GB HDD and 8GB of ram which should be more than needed.
02. Install and update Linux till there are no more updates (you can do this from the shield that appears near your clock, click Install Updates).

MYSQL
03. Open up terminal.  type sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get install mysql-server
04. Type a new password for MySQL "root" user: I used the password mangos

WOW CLIENT
05. Copy your Vanilla client into the home folder.  I renamed 'World of Warcraft 1.12' to 'Vanilla' so there are no spaces in the name.  F2 allows rename.

GIT
06. Open up terminal, sudo apt-get install git

PULL DEFAULT BRANCH of SERVER (while still in terminal type)
07. git clone https://github.com/mangoszero/server.git serverZero --recursive --depth=1

PULL DEFAULT BRANCH of DATABASE
08. git clone https://github.com/mangoszero/database.git dbZero --recursive --depth=1

09. Once this is done type cd serverZero, ENTER, cd linux, ENTER, sudo ./getMangos.sh, ENTER. [in case you can't execute the filename you can chmod +x getMangos.sh]...

10. The script should run and you should see...

[*] 1 Install Prerequisites
[*] 2 Set download and install paths
[*] 3 Clone Source Repos
[*] 4 Build Mangos
[*] 5 Install Mangos
[*] 6 Install Databases
[*] 7 Extract Resources
[ ] 8 Create Code: Blocks Project File

Click OK.

11. INSTALL REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
Would you like to install the required build and development packages?  Click YES.

12. INSTALL REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
Installing packages requires root access, which you will be prompted for.  Do you want to proceed?  Click YES.

13. USER TO RUN MANGOS
Default: mangos Click OK.

14. CHOOSE WOW RELEASE
Select a version of WoW
0 Original Release (Vanilla)
1 The Burning Crusade
2 Wrath of the Lich King
3 Cataclysm
4 Mists of Pandaria
Highlight 0 and click OK.

15. SOURCE-CODE PATH
Default: /home/david
Just click OK.

16. INSTALLATION PATH
Default: /home/mangos/zero
Just click OK.

17. PATH DOES NOT EXIST
Would you like to create the directory "/home/mangos/zero?"
Click YES.

18. CLONE OR UPDATE MANGOS
Would you like to clone, update, or continue?
0 Clone a fresh copy of Mangos
1 Update your existing copy of Mangos
2 Use existing copy
Select 0 Click OK.

19. SELECT BRANCH
Default: master
(*) 1 master
Just click OK.

WAIT WHILE IT DOWNLOADS and UNPACKS...
(cloning into /home/david/server 0/9442)
(Unpacking Objects 0/41) and much more is going to pass by on your screen...

20. BUILD OPTIONS
Please select your build options
[ ] 1 Enable debug
[*] 2 Use standard malloc
[*] 3 Use external ACE libraries
[ ] 4 Use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL/MariaDB
[*] 5 Build client tools
[*] 6 Use SD3
[*] 7 Use Eluna
Click OK.

21. PROCEED TO BUILD MANGOS
Are you sure you want to build Mangos?
Click YES.

WORKING...
[ 16%] Building CXX object...] and much more will go by your screen.

22. INSTALL MANGOS
Do you want to install Mangos now?
Click YES.

23. DATABASE OPERATIONS
What would you like to do?
0 Install clean databases
1 Update existing databases
2 Skip database work
Highlight 0 and click OK.

24. DATABASE HOSTNAME OR IP ADDRESS
Default: localhost
Just click OK.

25. DATABASE PORT
Default: 3306
Just click OK.

26. DATABASE USER USERNAME
Default: mangos
Just click OK.

27. DATABASE USER PASSWORD
Default: mangos
Just click OK.

28. SELECT DATABASES
Select which databases should be (re)installed
[*] 0 (Re)Install Realm Database
[*] 1 (Re)Install World Database
[*] 2 (Re)Install Characters Database
[*] 3 Update the ralmlist
Check them all, click OK.

29. WOW GAME PATH
Please provide the path to your game directory
Default: /home/david

For this path I would type ~/Vanilla and hit ENTER or click OK.

The next steps take a very long time to build the MAPS...

After this step...  things get very messy.  I remember having to run (here is a dump of my terminal history, I chopped out the unneeded stuff)...

COMMANDS I RAN AS DAVID: (from the beginning)

1  apt-get install git
    2  sudo apt-get install git
    3  git clone https://github.com/mangoszero/server.git serverZero --recursive --depth=1
    4  git clone https://github.com/mangoszero/database.git dbZero --recursive --depth=1
    5  ls
    6  cd serverZero/
    7  ls
    8  cd linux
    9  ls
   10  ./getmangos.sh 
   11  sudo ./getmangos.sh 
   12  ls
   13  cd ..
   14  cd ~
   15  ls
   16  clr
   17  cls
   18  cd Desktop/
   19  cd ~
   20  ls
   21  ls ~/World\ of\ Warcraft\ 1.12/
   22  cd ..
   23  exit
   24  sudo service mysql restart
   25  ls
   26  mysql
   27  mysql -u root
   28  mysql -u mangos
   29  mysql -u root -p
   30  mysql -u mangos -p
   31  mysql -u root -p
   32  git clone https://github.com/mangoszero/server.git serverZero --recursive --depth=1
   33  git clone https://github.com/mangoszero/database.git dbZero --recursive --depth=1
   34  ls
   35  cd serverZero/
   36  ls
   37  cd linux
   38  ls
   39  sudo ./getmangos.sh 
   40  find 
   41  find /?
   42  find mangos
   43  cd ~
   44  ls
   45  cd ~
   46  find mangos
   47  man find
   48  find -name '*mango*'
   49  find -name 'mangos.dist'
   50  find -name 'mangos.conf'
   51  find -name 'mangos.dist'
   52  ls
   53  cd server
   54  ls
   55  cd src
   56  ls
   57  cd mangosd/
   58  ls
   59  cd ~
   60  ls
   61  sudo find -name 'mangos.dist'
   62  sudo find -name 'mangos.*'
   63  sudo find -name 'mangosd.*'
   64  sudo find -name '*.conf'
   65  ls
   66  cd ~
   67  ls
   68  sudo find /etc -name 'mangosd.*'
   69  sudo find /etc -name 'mangos*.*'
   70  sudo find -name 'mangos*.*'
   71  sudo find -name etc
   72  sudo su mangos
   73  cd /home/david/database/World/Updates/Rel21
   74  grep -ir area_trigg
   75  grep -ir areatrigg
   76  ls
   77  cd Rel20_to_BaseRel21_Updates/
   78  ls
   79  cd ..
   80  ls
   81  grep -ir areatrigg
   82  exit
   83  sudo -Hi
   84  exit
   85  exit
   86  cd /home/david/database 
   87  ls
   88  sudo -Hi 
   89  sudo su mangos
   90  sudo -Hi 
   91  sudo su mangos
   92  exit
   93  history
   94  history > ~/Desktop/commands-david.txt

COMMANDS I RAN AS ROOT: (from the beginning)

1  cd /home/david/database 
    2  ls
    3  exit
    4  cd /home/david/database 
    5  ls
    6  ./InstallDatabases.sh 
    7  exit
    8  cd /home/david/database 
    9  ls
   10  cd World/
   11  ls
   12  cd Updates/
   13  ls
   14  cd Rel21
   15  ls
   16  less readme.txt 
   17  cd ..
   18  ls
   19  cd ..
   20  ls
   21  cd Setup/
   22  ls
   23  cat mangosdLoadDB.sql 
   24  ls
   25  cd ..
   26  ls
   27  cd ..
   28  ls
   29  less README.md 
   30  cd World/Updates/
   31  ls
   32  cd Rel21
   33  ls
   34  mysql -u root -p mangos
   35  man mysql
   36  mysql -u root --password mangos
   37  man mysql
   38  mysql -u root --password=mangos
   39  for i in *.sql; do mysql -u root --password=mangos < $i; done
   40  mysql -u root -pmangos
   41  for i in *.sql; do mysql -u root --password=mangos --database=mangos0 < $i; done
   42  ifconfig
   43  mysql -u root -pmangos
   44  exit
   45  history
   46  history > /home/david/Desktop/commands-root.txt

After this we went into the DB and changed the IP address and voila... it works!   If you can look over this and tell me where I went wrong to do it simply... it would be a great help!  I did have pictures captured as I did it but I couldn't put the images in this document so I re-typed out the images above.

If you can tell me what I did wrong, I can fix this, spell check it, clean it up, make it pretty, etc... and re-post it or send it via attachment as PDF or RTF document or whatever you want.  At least this way, it shows you a general layout and you can see WHY I find it so confusing... :)

Thank you!

David Perry

Hello PerryCS, I already see 2 wrong things:

- You're running certain command as 'david' while everything is written to be set as root (user switch happens at the very end)

- You have setup your database twice :)

Meanwhile, I was writing more detailed guides for Linux:

Linux Mint 18 should be very close to Ubuntu (I am writing the guides for Debian & Ubuntu atm... will be published later).

Archived