Recastnavigation +detour

n3n8f9unf2nf

I looked around and didn't see a specific topic on this, and it got me thinking: Why don't we use Recastnavigation and Detour to correct the pathing of mobs? Other projects can apply those changes to their databases. Obviously this takes time, I know, but could changes be added by other uses and then implemented by staff when correcting pathing?

Apologies if we do use these things and changes simple have not been applied yet or there is some other reason we don't apply those programs to the task of fixing pathing.

Recast+Detour

Hello Akar,

Your remark is a good one although recast & detour are already part of Mangos dependencies :) (https://github.com/mangos/mangosDeps/tree/c8074b24b465289e3980ca2812732df09fc6a0b0)

On the other side, I don't know the map generation well enough... I think we could use more complex structure but the game could be only working with grid which implies some limitations.

Tal'

1 hour ago, Talendrys said:

Hello Akar,

Your remark is a good one although recast & detour are already part of Mangos dependencies :) (https://github.com/mangos/mangosDeps/tree/c8074b24b465289e3980ca2812732df09fc6a0b0)

On the other side, I don't know the map generation well enough... I think we could use more complex structure but the game could be only working with grid which implies some limitations.

Tal'

Well, I completely missed that somehow. Thanks for pointing that out, Tal! I also don't really know enough about map generation so I kind of put this out as a suggestion and an opportunity to learn. There are still several points in the pathing of mobs that is a bit silly. Things like attacking from an incline causing mobs to half fly/teleport to you as they bounce their way up are what made me thing of this.

Well, I digged into this subject in theory one year ago. Best pathfinding are navmesh-based but to work with navmesh, you need to generate them.

I have no idea how to do it using recast & detour and I have no idea whether the pathfinding in Mangos is currently Grid-based or NavMesh based.

I know that the maps are tile-based but it's about all... should have a deeper look to mmaps & vmaps code generator.

Tal'

Archived