How big is Maximum memory and player that mangos can support ?

Guest Rectangel

Till now they are nothing more than gossip..

i have been searching throught the internet and i have seen some (one or two) of those servers, i can confirm that there are servers with a player amount between 3k up to 9k which are running mangos (according to the infos on those webpages)...

ps: don't pm me, i'm not going to send any of those links to ;)

but i agree, it would really be nice to see those patches here in the forum, i would like to try them...

Default questions:

What CPUs?

Vmaps enabled? (if yes, where?)

What patches?

2x quad-core Intel® Xeon® CPU E5430 @ 2.66GHz

vmaps enabled

vmap.enableLOS = 1
vmap.enableHeight = 1
vmap.ignoreMapIds = "369"

mangos-0.12 7438

patches: mtmaps, speed_cheat_fix, alterac, outdoor_pvp, procflag, some other

mysql was heavily tuned

we use innodb with huge buffers

innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 2

Indeed, this thread is definately playing with fire. If we have reason to believe anybody is hosting a public server that runs on MaNGOS it will be a permanent ban.

Friends & Family = Private MaNGOS server.

Friends & Family + people you don't know = Public MaNGOS server.

Stress testing is good and all, but there's no way somebody can host a "development" server, meaning just used to test bugs etc, could get over 500 players online everytime it came to testing that were just family and friends.

Keep it clean! =)

The Mangos Community has very big family's, I mean if I just look at the usernames then every 2nd here has a "family" with over 100 members minimum.

Its nice to see that such big family's still exist and that they help so much with the tests :) I guess everyone who has a PC count as their family member.

Anyway back to topic...

Even if some say something different, its important to give the SQL Server so much resources as you can get. So its a good idea to run it on a extra machine and make a crossover LAN with 1Gbit (100Mbit are enough but when it bootup or reload something then it take about 2x more time depending on your HDDs).

Give SQL a lot of RAM so it can cache enough of the Database, else Queries take longer and that increase also the lags on the Gameserver cause Mangos is as you noticed bad with multithreading so try to keep the mainthread so fluent as possible and 1k "testers"~ will be not a problem at all.

Also use Scamps Mt patch else it will use the primary CPU core way too much! Also disable LoS if your CPUs get too much used that will increase the perfomance a lot.

And for the sake of the community, and devs alike, why are these changes/fixes/patches not shared/discussed/openly demonstrated?

For the most part I'd have to say they have been shared. If you're talking about tweaks to get a server running faster, there's many threads about running servers effeciently and all the things they use in pretty good detail. Like the 500+ thread, my min/max requirement thread, and a dozen other threads using the search feature. Other fixes or patches people might do, might make things run faster, but also cause instability, Mangos is very big on not putting in hack fixes, and learning how to best fix a problem, instead of just guessing. I could take a wild guess that some of these "changes/fixes/patches" about making a server smoother, are very hack-like. Once you add a bunch of hackfixes to a server it ruins the integrity of a server and you might aswell not update ever again because you don't know how that hackfix could effect future patches.

As for why you think we don't share changes/fixes/patches, there's a lot of stuff on github. Mango's is well documented and very transparent on git. As for the forums, well there's not too much to discuss, a lot of it is the generous people who know what they're talking about it, and the rest is people who can't follow instructions correctly even when we try to help. Most of my time spent on the forums is directing people to the right place, "which they woulda found if they searched in the first place" (for a reference see how many threads there are about "outdated maps" or .map errors")

About painjakes friend, I dunno, some people are just like that, they wrote it, they don't wanna share it You know what? Its their loss. You can't force everyone to share everything and most of the time, people mess up their own patches or don't know what their doing. There's some patch geniuses here but everyone messes up, thats why we have the forums, so they post it here, get feedback , test the patch over and over finding different ways to fix it in the correct manner. If that guy posted it here, i'm sure he could improve his patch beyond whatever its at right now (though i'm pretty sure its just a hack-fix) because you'd have to be really lucky and realize a fix like that, or spend months writing and testing it. Either of which are highly doubtful.

This is your first post, so I don't know if you've tried searching for this information yet, but everyone seems to be quoting and responding to you so I thought I would too.

Bah I ended up ranting, feel free to say 2 long didn't read, lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use