Client can't connect using external IP

ozium

Question

Hi, I'm new to running a private WoW server and I have a few questions.

When using my internal IP, I am able to connect and log in using the default administrator/administrator credentials.  I can't seem to get my client to connect using my external IP.

My server's internal IP address is 192.168.1.146
My network's external IP is 100.14.93.118
I am running Ubuntu 16.04 using MySQL
I have been playing around with different combinations of client config.wtf files and server database configuration to try to make external access possible.

My router is configured to forward the following ports to the server's IP address (192.168.1.146) using the destination port the same as the source port:
TCP+UDP 8085 > 192.168.1.146
TCP+UDP 3724 > 192.168.1.146

realmlist.wtf=192.168.1.146:3724 (Internal IP)
MySQL one_realm.realmlist address=192.168.1.146 (Internal IP) port=8085
The client connects to the server and I can create a character as normal

realmlist.wtf=100.14.93.118:3724 (External IP)
MySQL one_realm.realmlist address=192.168.1.146 (Internal IP) port=8085
"Unable to Connect"

realmlist.wtf=100.14.93.118:8085 (External IP)
MySQL one_realm.realmlist address=100.14.93.118 (External IP) port=8085
"Unable to Connect"

realmlist.wtf=100.14.93.118:3724 (External IP)
MySQL one_realm.realmlist address=100.14.93.118 (External IP) port=3724
"Unable to Connect"

Why does it seem to connect successfully when using an internal IP, but not when using the external IP of my network?

Also, how do I set up a page so my users can create an account on my server?  Are there instructions to configure a login page to create a use?  I'd like to avoid creating all my friends' accounts manually if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the help!

7 answers to this question

Thanks for the response!

At the moment, in the realmlist table I have address set to my external IP according to whatismyip.  The localAddress field is set to my server's internal IP.  The port is 8085.

When I am on my local network, the client can connect using set realmlist internal IP.  I can create a character and play as normal.

I have port forwarding enabled on my router to forward ports 3724 and 8085 to my server's internal IP for TCP and UDP, however when I try to connect the client from work, a mobile hotspot, or a hotel WiFi using set realmlist external IP, it fails.

Are there any other ports I need to open?  Is there some configuration I'm missing?  I'd really like to be able to connect to my home server when I'm traveling for work.

There is a brief topic on the issue, but I doubt you find anything new there.

The first though is about the ports disabled on the box by a firewall (iptables probably). I do not know the default Ubuntu firewall settings, though it must not have unpriviliged ports  (above 1024) closed.

Also, few simple things you likely have set up properly: 1) `realmlist`.`address` field should contain the external (real) IP; 2) BindIP = "0.0.0.0" - mangosd.conf and realmd.conf setting; 3) do not set the port number in the client config.wtf unless you have a specific configuration (2 realms running at once so on).

iptables -L shows no firewall rules.

In the realmlist table, I have my external ip in the address field and my internal ip in the localAddress field.  The port listed there is 8085.  In mangosd.conf and realmd.conf the bind ip is 0.0.0.0.

My config.wtf file is currently using only the external ip, not the port number.  I am testing the connection from a different network outside of my home to avoid any issues with looping back to my own ip.

My router has both 8085 and 3724 forwarded, and I'm fairly confident that these work because I am able to connect to the other services I have running on this box (SSH, Plex, Deluge, etc.)

set realmlist 100.14.93.118

This is the realmlist.wtf content. I've just connected with the client 2.4.3 build 8606 to the realm mentioned above by the "player" account and made the character with the same nick. (Be sure either removing unneeded accounts from `realmd`.`account`, or at least set `gmlevel` to 0 for those; the respective commands: account delete, account set gmlevel). The issue is elsewhere outside your server settings.

Archived