[Ubuntu] Game data extraction issues

Rob

Question

Hi!

So I'm following this tutorial

And everything went pretty smoothly until the "Extract Game Data" step.

When it asks to provide the game directory path, I provided "/home/mangos/zero/src/server/src/game", which is the default directory if following all the default values of the tuto.

But then I'm getting the error "Fatal Error: failed to locate the WoW executable!". And I'm confused about this error, in the tutorial, there's one sentence saying:

"The installer will automatically look for a suitable WoW client into your /home directory. If it doesn't find anything, you will have to provide your game location path."

Why is he talking about WoW client? Why does the server installation needs a WoW client? Am I missing something?

2 answers to this question

On 31.03.2018 at 9:37 AM, Rob said:

Why is he talking about WoW client? Why does the server installation needs a WoW client? Am I missing something?

The server uses the data provided within the client intensively. The minimum necessary ones are maps and DBC files. The DBC files contains variety of information, for example, spell descriptions, model descriptions so on. All these data are to be extracted for the server from the client MPQ archives. For this reason, the data extraction step requires the client. The MPQ archives are used by the extractors built from the respective projects, and some extractors (including these) check also the wow.exe version.

Archived