Server Message to Clients... Is it Possible?

Guest spider2k5

I would like to know if it is possible to sent a message to the game client from the server at login? You know, like Blizz does when they announce that they will be doing Maintenance on Tues.... and you get the box on your client when you goto the login screen...

I am running MaNGOS and am wondering how to do this? if it is even possible.

Thanks!

you have to edit the hosts file which isnt supported here. There was a post about this somewhere. Search and you might find it.

Editing the hosts file (C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\hosts OR /etc/hosts OR w/e you keep yours) is legal and fine around here, I think. I'm sure that editing the realmlist.wtf file is illegal and unsupported around here.

The only problem i can see about editing the host file is that the USER is going to have to edit the host file... I can edit my OWN host file so MY client reads the data, but is there no way to change the address that the client looks for?

I know you can chage where the realmlist info is in realmlist.wtf, just curious if its also possible to add something in there to forward where the client looks for the maintenance announcments?

I have tried using the search feature and I have spent 2 days looking for an answer, but nothing i have found has anything to do with the client.

If there is no way to do this, then I will have no choice but to skip it, but was hoping someone found a sollution besides changing the host file... I dont have control over the users host file.

Thanks for the replies!!!!

I'll assume that it isnt possible then... I have spent the entire weekend looking for such information, even for changing the host information with no luck...

I will dig into it and see what i can figure out. I dont understand why Blizz would make the realmlist server changeable via realmlist.wtf, but for announcments they made it static? hmm

Oh, I found it:

http://launcher.worldofwarcraft.com/alert

You can see an example of it's usage there. You have to change the hosts to redirect launcher.worldofwarcraft.com to the server's address, have a webserver on it, and place the file called "alert" in the webserver's root.

Thank you, it works! too bad they hard coded the launcher.worldofwarcraft.com address... would of been nice to be able to change it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Odd there being three posts about it in UDB since is has nothing to do with the database :) Fits better here, operation of the server and whatnot..

Anywho - I was wondering about this too, and came across this post. Wondered if anyone ever tried any "wildcard" names in the realmlist to see if maybe the reallmlist file doesn't say, override the hardcoded. Would certainly seem possible, in case a change was necessary for whatever reason. I might mess around a bit and see if I can find one, just wanted to see if anyone traveled that path already or not.

Odd there being three posts about it in UDB since is has nothing to do with the database :) Fits better here, operation of the server and whatnot...

These messages are in now way generated by MaNGOS. Even if you succeed in changing the address you would still provide the data by a simple web server and not by MaNGOS.

While I'm aware of that (that the mangos server software doesn't "send the message",) this is the closest forum a discussion like this would belong in. Mangos forums for use and operation of a server, yes? Part of the operation of a server 'could' include server messages. Just because it doesn't deal with the actual .exe file doesn't mean it's not part of running a mangos server.. Where it clearly doesn't belong would be say, the database forums.

Anywho - I got mine set up and working via the methods discussed in the above links (was away from puter awhile). Now that I've seen it can work, I'll start plugging away at the realmlist.wtf and see if there might be an override that is usable from there. Originally thought maybe to provide a batch file to update the required file, but since you have to reboot for that file to be re-read (or maybe cycle the net adapter at the least) that isn't really a viable solution. More to come..

i cant find the post, but i beleive the issue is that editing the hosts file in this way causes the client to be "redirected" to another source for the news. This is expressley forbidden in the client EULA and ToU.

As someone who received a ban warning here for discussing this topic several years ago, I would suggest that people tread carefully.

While I'm aware of that (that the mangos server software doesn't "send the message",) this is the closest forum a discussion like this would belong in. Mangos forums for use and operation of a server, yes? Part of the operation of a server 'could' include server messages. Just because it doesn't deal with the actual .exe file doesn't mean it's not part of running a mangos server.. Where it clearly doesn't belong would be say, the database forums.

Anywho - I got mine set up and working via the methods discussed in the above links (was away from puter awhile). Now that I've seen it can work, I'll start plugging away at the realmlist.wtf and see if there might be an override that is usable from there. Originally thought maybe to provide a batch file to update the required file, but since you have to reboot for that file to be re-read (or maybe cycle the net adapter at the least) that isn't really a viable solution. More to come..

No need to reboot if you change the hosts file.

No need to reboot if you change the hosts file.

Many virusscanners these days and even Vista / windows 7 themselfs will however popup a warning if an application attempts to change the contents of the host file (since it can also be used to spoof other websites, like banking websites). With this in mind I too think editing the host file is not a viable option.

What we need is a way to change the news location encoded in the client itself, and for that we need to edit the client files - which if I understand the rules correctly, is forbidden to discuss on this forum. That being said, I do not think this is the right place for this discussion since we cannot discuss the real solution here ^_^

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use