The Big FAQ Thread

Guest TheLuda

Over and over, the same obnoxious questions are asked and over and over they are answered. I will try and put as many frequently asked questions right here and provide as much information as I can to try and help people solve them. Please keep in mind that there are often MANY variables to these problems, so it is difficult to provide good answers generically, but I can only try my best.

My apologies if someone else has a similar FAQ thread.

EDITS: Thanks for the sticky. :D

1. When I start the server, a box pops up and then goes away really fast.

What does this mean?

The server is broken. It is so broken that you can't really tell what's broken because that is how broken it is.

How do I fix it?

Check the server or realmd log. Try running the server in a command prompt window to keep it from disappearing. You will probably discover why the server wants to die so quickly (most likely bad confs, bad database info, etc.)

2. Error in X table, probably sql file format was updated (there should be Y fields in sql).

What does this mean?

Well, quite simply, it means that your database is out of date.

How do I fix it?

Easy! There are often 2 different scenarios for people getting this problem: 1. people who have just installed their server and database, and 2. people who have just updated their server.

If you are type 1, then: when you install your database, it usually specifies what server revision it is for (for example, in UDB it is in the title of the DB file.) You need to look in /sql/updates and apply any updates where the update number is higher than the DB file's number and only those which have mangos or world in them (do not apply characters or realmd updates to the world database!)

If you are type 2, however, then: check your database version. Open the db_version table in the world database, and look at the title of the third-column. This will be the name of the last update applied to the database. Simply apply any updates located in /sql/updates that are after this one (check the revision numbers.) Make sure to only apply those which have mangos or world in the title (do not apply characters or realmd updates to the world database!)

If you are type 2, you may also need to apply updates to characters or realmd databases. Simply check the character_db_version and realmd_db_version in those databases respectively and apply any necessary updates.

3. Player #X have broken data in `data` field. Can't be loaded for character list.

What does this mean?

This means that your characters table is out of date or corrupt.

How do I fix it?

Don't worry; in most cases it just needs an update that you are missing. Check answer 2 for more information on applying updates.

4. ERROR:Correct *.map files not found in path './maps' or *.vmap/*vmdir files in './vmaps'. Please place *.map/*.vmap/*.vmdir files in appropriate directories or correct the DataDir value in the mangosd.conf file.

What does this mean?

Either your maps are missing, in the wrong place, or out of date.

How do I fix it?

Well first of all, you need to find out if it is a problem with the maps or vmaps. If any of the Xs in "WORLD: VMap support included. LineOfSight:X, getHeight:X" are 1, then it could be vmaps. Try changing these to 0s in mangosd.conf and seeing if it works. If it still doesn't work, then it is the maps. Make sure they are in your DataDir, in a folder named "maps". They may need re-extracting; only extract maps from the official, unmodified client supported by your server.

5. My server is running, everything is going great, except I can't connect to my server!

More specifically...?

5 a. When I try to connect to my server, it connects to the official one instead!

What does this mean?

Your client is still using the old realmlist information.

How do I fix it?

Make sure you set realmlist.wtf to the right address. If you can't save, try running the editing program as administrator. Make sure it is saved. The client must not be running while you change realmlist.wtf! If all else fails, you can manually change the realmlist in the program by running it with the --console option and then hitting ~ and putting in the "set realmlist" command via the console. You cannot change it in-game or any time after you have connected to a server.

5 b. When I try to connect, it just goes back to the realmlist or gets stuck at Logging In To Game Server...!

What does this mean?

You can connect to realmd, but you cannot connect to worldd.

How do I fix it?

Well, first make sure worldd is running and not crashed. If it is running, make sure the ports and realmd IDs in the realmd database and mangosd.conf match. Make sure all ports are opened and forwarded correctly if running a LAN/WAN server (there are utilities you can use to check if ports are open.)

5 c. I get the Connecting... dialogue box, but nothing more, or else an error saying Could Not Connect!

What does this mean?

You cannot connect to realmd.

How do I fix it?

This is probably the trickiest to fix, because of all the potential problems and variables.

First off, make sure all the server programs are running correctly. Then, make sure the address in the realmlist table matches that of your server (127.0.0.1 if local server, local LAN address if LAN server, external address or domain name if WAN server) Make sure you have set your realmlist to this address. Make sure all ports are opened and forwarded correctly if running a LAN/WAN server (there are utilities you can use to check if ports are open.) Make sure you followed the guides correctly, especially the router guide if running a LAN/WAN server. If all else fails, please make a post, and include: a dump of the realmlist table, a copy of realmd.conf, a copy of mangosd.conf, whatever is in realmlist.wtf, a short description of what you are trying to do, what the problem is, etc. and the log for realmd and mangosd.

5 d. I get the Unable To Validate Game Version message!

What does this mean?

The client you are trying to connect with is the wrong version for your server.

How do I fix it?

Check what version your client is (in the bottom-left corner of the log-in screen) and what version your server requires (see above). Make sure you are using the right branch. You may need to re-install or patch your client to use the desired version of server or client.

6. How do I know what client version my server supports?

Easy! Just open up src/game/SharedDefines.h, and scroll down to the bottom. You will see a lines like so:

// we need to stick to 1 version or half of the stuff will work for someone
// others will not and opposite
// will only support WoW and WoW:TBC X client build Y...

This is pretty self explanatory.

7. My world doesn't have any creatures/objects/quests/etc! Help!

What does this mean?

Either your database is corrupt or out of date, or else you used the blank database included with mangos. The reason the included database doesn't include this stuff is because of certain legal issues with the mangos project.

How do I fix it?

If your database is out of date, read up above. If you used the included database, you will need to drop it and acquire and more fulfilling database. An example would be UDB (http://getmangos.eu/community/viewtopic.php?id=84 Links to databases can be found there. Check the releases and announcements board on the databases' forums for the latest release.) Simply follow the instructions on the database site on downloading and installing a database.

8. I have X problem with Amazing Guy's Awesome Mangos Repack X (substitute repack name here)!

What does this mean?

Well.. no one knows what it means. Your repack could contain anything and there is virtually no way of knowing what is in it.

How do I fix it?

You need to only run mangos which has been begotten through the official method: downloading and building the source code yourself. Don't worry: this process is actually rather easy once you get the hang of it, and depending on the system, can be shortened to the click of a mouse or execution of a script.

9. I want to use official mangos code and not Amazing Guy's Awesome Mangos Repack X (substitute repack name here). Where do I get started?

Read the guides stickied in Installation & Configuration and General Help. This is all the information you will need on compiling and installing a server officially.

10. I want to apply a custom patch to my server. How can I do this?

What does this mean?

You have an interest in server modification, I suppose. Or you want some cool stuff few others have. Either way, this is a great learning opportunity!

How do I fix it?

Well, it depends on the patch. If it was made using diff, you will most likely need to use patch (or TortoiseSVN or patch via Git Bash) to apply it. If it was made using git diff, then you will need to use git apply to apply it to the server code. Once applied, you will need to rebuild and reinstall the finished server files in order to use the changes made.

You will need the source code to the server in order to use most patches (read above on getting off the repacks.)

11. Uh-oh, there are some build errors with X custom patch! What do I do?

What does this mean?

The patch was broken or out of date, and will not play nicely with your official source and compiler.

How do I fix it?

You can manually fix build errors. You can also send the patch creator a PM asking (nicely) for an update, or else post in the patch's thread.

12. When I build my server I get a ton of compile warnings! Are these important? Are they causing problem X?

What does this mean?

This means your compiler is picky about the code, but it isn't going to hit the SCRAM just yet. This could be because of platform differences, old compiler, old code, non-standard use of a component, etc. Since it is a warning, not an error, this means that it is not very important, it is just doing a nice favour of letting you know that there could be problems, somewhere in the indiscriminate future.

How do I fix it?

Well, you could fix the warning, but most likely you can leave it alone and it will manage. It is probably not causing any problems, because everyone else is likely living with the same warnings and having no problems.

13. I have a problem pertaining to: a custom scripting system, a custom database, a custom patch, a custom whatever.

What does this mean?

You need to read forum policy: custom content is not supported here and you will be redirected to the appropriate place. However, there are many instances where what you are asking about is perfectly valid here. If what you are asking for has to do with the server or it's frameworks (for example, questions about database structure, how the scripting system should work, etc.) and nothing to do with specific non-supported custom projects, then it's fine to ask here.

14. Is X bugged?

What does this mean?

You are probably a lazy person.

How do I fix it?

Try whatever it is you want to know about. If it's bugged make a bug report. If it's not, then enjoy!

15. My guards don't give directions, my bosses don't talk or cast spells. What's wrong here?

What does this mean?

You didn't install a fulfilling scripting system.

How do I fix it?

Install one. For a rather nice one, try ScriptDev2 (http://www.scriptdev2.com) There are instructions on there for building it, and there are also instructions in most guides on here on installing SD2.

16. I installed a scripting system, but most mobs still don't cast spells or say stuff!

What does this mean?

You aren't using the EventAI system of your server.

How do I fix it?

EventAI is a system for scripting mobs in the database, which comes with the server core by default. To use it, simply install a database for it. You can find a nice one at ScriptDev2 called ACID (Advanced Creature Intelligence Database: http://www.scriptdev2.com You'll need to scroll down a bit to the right board.) You do not need ScriptDev2 installed to use EventAI or ACID!

17. I can't extract maps/vmaps/dbcs for X reason. Could someone please post/send/upload them? (kthxbie)

What does this mean?

You haven't read forum policy either.

How do I fix it?

You find a way to get them yourself. Because of many reasons, these files cannot be openly shared, and the project cannot endorse the sharing of them illegally (such as having them on here.) All requests will be denied, all threads will be closed, and all links will be deleted.

18. I don't want to learn anything! I just want to make a server!

What does this mean?

You've come to the wrong place (probably)

How do I fix it?

I know, I know, you are probably impatient and just want to get started. But you'd be surprised how much fun you can have learning new things, or how easy some of it really is. Bare with the guides and threads and you will learn everything you could possible need to know, and much more. Mangos is, first and foremost, a learning project; the least you can do is get in all this "learning" stuff and who knows, it may be the start of some wonderful new experiences.

My advice is to start small. Just read the guides and compile a server or get a repack and start playing with things. If you use a repack, get the source code and compile it. Try using custom patches and meddling with the code. Read documentation and start threads when necessary.

19. I want to check/fix/patch something in a code file, but I don't have any source code files!

What does this mean?

Either you are using a repack which didn't include source code, or else you just can't find them.

How do I fix it?

If you are using a repack, then it probably didn't include the source code and you will need to read up above about getting off repacks. If you can't find them, try searching your computer. For example, run a search for a file you are looking for.

20-22: See post below

23. How do I checkout branch X?

What does this mean?

It's already been asked and explained about billion times, so you probably didn't search, but here is how:

If you haven't checked out mangos yet:

git checkout git://github.com/mangos/mangos.git #branch-name#

i.e.

git checkout git://github.com/mangos/mangos.git mangos-0.12

If you have checked out mangos already (run this from your mangos source folder):

git pull git://github.com/mangos/mangos.git #branch-name#

i.e.

git pull git://github.com/mangos/mangos.git mangos-0.12

Please be aware that development branches (i.e. 330) are NOT supported. Do NOT ask questions or report bugs from them.

That's all for now folks. I'll change things as necessary, but that is pretty much all the stuff I see asked here all the time.

• 39 years later...

20. I receive an error when I launch mangos "You have _outdated_ DBC files."

What does this mean?

Your game client version that you extracted the DBC files from does not match the mangos server revision.

How do I fix?

There's plenty of threads that mention this problem. Use the forum search, located beneath the Mangos banner at top of page.

Either download W0W patch, and update client then run the extractor(ad.exe) or update mangos, compile, and run the extractor. Also make sure you're not using an old ad.exe from an earlier mangos compile and be certain it is extracting from a WoW directory that has the version needed. How do you find what client version your mangos server supports? Refer to FAQ 6.

21. I receive an error when I launch mangos "<FILE>.dbc (exist, but have x fields instead x) Wrong client version dbc?"

What does this mean?

This is similar to FAQ 20. Mangos is referencing dbc files that do not match its rev. You need to make sure your WoW client version is supported by your Mangos version before you extract the dbc files. More than likely you updated mangos to support newer patch but you did not re-extract dbc files from newly patched client.

How do I fix?

Look at the datadir line in the mangosd.conf file and make sure it points to a directory that has dbc files that match the mangos rev you are running. Update client or mangos then re-extract (ad.exe) the dbc files from WoW client folder. How do you find what client version your mangos server supports? Refer to FAQ 6.

22. When I try to launch Mangosd.exe I receive an error: "The application configuration is incorrect. Please reinstall."

What does this mean?

You compiled mangos with Visual Studio, or Visual C++ Express, on one computer, and moved the files to a different computer.

How do I fix?

You will need to download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package onto the computer that you are receiving this message, the computer you are trying to run mangos on.

Download here: Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package

Also, it would not hurt to download the latest .net framework from Microsoft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, so I was just wondering. This seems to me to be a question most noobs would ask, so I'll just go ahead. In your DBErrors.log file, those database errors, are they supposed to be there? I know my server works fine without them, but you'll never know unless you ask, not true?

Those are two problems that happened on my server:

-Server crashes when "Loadin groups". Solution: Go to character DB "groups" and delete the contain.

-Server starts ok, but it shutdown with this messaje: "Creature guid overflow!! Can't continue, shuting down server. ". Solution: Maybe you add a new npc. Go to the mangos DB, table creatures, and delete the creature with the guid more high.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use