[Fix] Fishing skillups for wotlk

Guest OPenaz

* What bug does the patch fix? What features does the patch add?

It updates fishing skillup...now it worked perfectly for max skill 375, but for 450, there is little higher chance to gain skill (data taken from WoWwiki and El's fishing guide (due to wowwiki it's best source outside blizzard)

* For which repository revision was the patch created?

* Is there a thread in the bug report section or at lighthouse? If yes, please add a link to the thread.

No

* Who has been writing this patch? Please include either forum user names or email addresses.

Me

index 8e60f11..5ae3fe8 100644
--- a/src/game/Player.cpp
+++ b/src/game/Player.cpp
@@ -5218,32 +5218,7 @@ bool Player::UpdateFishingSkill()

uint32 SkillValue = GetPureSkillValue(SKILL_FISHING);

-    int32 chance = SkillValue < 75 ? 100 : 2500/(SkillValue-50);
+    int32 chance = SkillValue <= 75 ? 100 : 2500/(SkillValue-75);

uint32 gathering_skill_gain = sWorld.getConfig(CONFIG_SKILL_GAIN_GATHERING);

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

*digs out thread*

That formula doesn't make sense, gives values >100%...

After trying several ways to modify it, the most plausible answer to me is that the formulat simply got "stretched" by 20%, that would give:

int32 chance = SkillValue < 90 ? 100 : 3000/(SkillValue-60);

another problem related to fishing, from a well know wiki:

As of 3.1, there is no longer a minimum skill requirement to fish in any zone, and all casts will catch something and award a chance for a skill-up. However, if your skill level is too low for a zone, you will catch mostly vendor trash items. The skill level required to guarantee "no junk" catches is equivalent to the old "no get away" level.

while in actual version we still got:

DEBUG_LOG("Fishing check (skill: %i zone min skill: %i chance %i roll: %i",skill,zone_skill,chance,roll);

if (skill >= zone_skill && chance >= roll)

{

//fish catched

player->UpdateFishingSkill();

• 1 year later...
another problem related to fishing, from a well know wiki:
As of 3.1, there is no longer a minimum skill requirement to fish in any zone, and all casts will catch something and award a chance for a skill-up. However, if your skill level is too low for a zone, you will catch mostly vendor trash items. The skill level required to guarantee "no junk" catches is equivalent to the old "no get away" level.

This was fixed in [10989].

The original fishing skillup formula was still not changed though

One interesting thing is the Fishing skill in the classic zones (1.12) still follows the same chance to catch a particular species of fish by time of day and season as in original retail.

No matter where you fish, and regardless of your fishing skill, you will at least catch "junk". By my experience, it required more junk catches to gain a skill point than catching fish rewarded, especially if the waters being fished were way beyond my skill. I'm not sure if there's been an exact formula worked out for that and posted at El's Anglin' Guide, but his guide is the chief authority on Fishing and usually has the most accurate and current information.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use