[Request] Support for NPCs with GOs...

Guest Grobii

You start by opening up your C++ editor and taking a look at parts of the MaNGOS source like ObjectMgr.cpp, since, by process of logic, you are looking into objects.

If you take the time to study the source code, and it is no easy or quick read, then you will eventually gain some insight into what modules deal with certain features.

"Nothing worth having is ever easy."

right.... so i look in ObjectMgr.cpp... i still dont know enough about C++ functions to tell it to 'stick' npc's to it... hence if i knew i'd have it working and share it with the community here.

I'd made a similar post back on the old mangos website about NPC's on transport boats (vendors) but that post is long gone. Vladimir responded (i think) but my process of logic tells me if the big guns cant get it to work what chance have i got?

dont get me wrong, i just havent got a lot of time to perfect my C++ skills just to fix something that apparently thousands of other mangos users with more knowledge have ignored / cant fix. Same as the old mind control deal.

anyway, i figured the moving transports (boats / turtles / zepplins / gunships) had theyre own mapID's or something, like the transport should be 'still' with npc's on it, and the whole map moves along the path of the transport

Request:

Support for NPCs with GOs

For Example:

If this would be implemented, the ships could have the crew (like on retial), this would fix the problem in Icecrown with the Zeppelin`s crew etc...

There are several quests that start and finish on the "Skybreaker" for example. This puts a damper on the area.

Oddly enough Valroft (not sure if it's the same member here) over on Hearthstone was partially successful with this. The npc's were on the boat, however as soon as you stepped off the boat and the boat moved they fell into the water. Until you relogged on the boat. Then they were there again.

This is why I suggested to look into it for yourselves. The regular devs have other priorities, which is why many older features still do not work to this day.

It's not easy to do by any stretch of the imagination but, someone has to step up and make the commitment to fix things such as NPCs spawning on Game Objects even if it means rewriting large chunks of code. It may even be best, from a design standpoint, to start over from scratch to fix those flaws.

MaNGOS inherited its code base from previous projects, which means it also inherited many of the problems in the algorithms used to implement features. That currently limits just what can be done to have working retail features.

I truly wish I had a better answer for you or even working code. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat... precious little time to devote to my few pleasures.

you would have to hack this by binding somehow ship (go) with (npcs) by for example detached table, map it in memory at server startup and update npcs each time GO is updated. or totaly redesign support for creature movement ;-)

Hah i remember doing it on 3.1.3 such way, by loading table into std::map attacked to each zeppelin ID, got it kinda working, NPC was moving but it was crashing a lot on map replacement of Zeppelin and actually it was... glitchy too much so i abandoned my work :<

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use