Mangos SVN - TortoiseSVN

Guest Johnnei

Hello

I'm willing to upload ManGoS to SVN because I like SVN system more than git (sorry git).

I'll try to sync the databse once a day around 8PM gmt +1.

Mangos SVN Page - Main Project Page

TortoiseSVN - Get Tortoise SVN to easy handle the SVN Project.

TortoiseSVN Check-out url: http://mangossvn.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

Current GIT Rev: 9622 (Checked 26-3 @ 17:00)

Current SVN (GIT) Rev :9622 (Last Commit 26-3 @ 17:00)

Current SVN Rev: 20

mangossvn.png

I hope I can help people with this,

Gr,

Johnnei

you haven't learned it enough yet

That is exactly the reason why people don't like it. They don't want / have no time to spend on "learning git". I understand that, I really do. Why bother learning windows when I have my good old easy DOS prompt, which has even some advantages over windows. Git isn't perfect as well.

But - in the end - I don't care. SVN isn't really bad at all, the problem here could be misleading revision number (different from mangos).

If you don't like GIT it means you haven't learned it enough yet IMO, how can one prefer SVN :/

Indeed I dont wan't to learn a program to the bottom before I'm using it for multiple things or use it very often. SVN is easier for new people and so its better for "newbs"

• 5 weeks later...

I've gotten so used to using Git Bash in a Windows console that returning to TortoiseSVN and its GUI would be more of a burden for me. I'd lose a lot of flexibility and power, not to mention relearning SVN all over again, for the simple security of having trunk back in my life. Git might seem like anarchy to some, but it really is better than SVN... if you're willing to learn the basics.

On the other hand, it is great that Github has enabled support for SVN interaction. This allows both camps of the major VCS paradigms to finally work together more easily.

Now if only we can figure out how to help those poor CVS and Mercurial slobs. :P

• 1 month later...

Git is designed for massive amount of contributors & is assumes the user has knowledge of *nix. I dislike *nix systems, have no time to learn a ton of commands and in general i prefer SVN. GitHub is also very slow, takes ages to clone a repo from scratch and the online interface is beyond terrible.

Why did Mangos not decide to stick with Assembla? Assembla offers pull-out of both SVN and GIT format repositories at the same time. I also get super fast d/l speed from Assembla.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This indeed is true, but something in the current repository is making a pull using TortoiseSVN fail ... getting this error:

REPORT of '/mangos/mangos.git/!svn/vcc/default': 200 OK (http://svn.github.com)

What exactly that means I don't know, but the error happens after this:

C:\\Users\\Removed Real Name\\Desktop\\mangos.git\\dep\\lib\\win32_debug\\libeay32.lib

Getting a total of 65.4 MB of the repository, then it just fail ... first thought would be that there actually is something left of the "old" SVN repository files, or that part of the Git repository actually is mirrored from a SVN repository... but to be 100% honest I'm clueless, I haven't been willing to go the GIT way (actually left back when the move to GIT was done, didn't want to bother learning new tools + I became a dad right around that time too leaving me with no time), so was pleasantly surprised while browsing the forum when I found that GIT opened for SVN interaction, the rest you know.

Anyway great to see you all again (probably no one that even know of me, but just in case) :cool:

I'm not sure what exactly you are saying, who have custom implementations of SVN, GIT or TortoiseSVN or who?

So does a solution exist to solve the problem? Can we use some other SVN application to get the repository? Or is the only real option to start using GIT?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use