Help With Cheaters and Hackers

Auntie Mangos

Hello. It has come to my attention that the MaNGOS server I am running has attracted several cheaters. I could ban them manually, but this would require much more work than I have time for.

I have read on other forums (not going to post the names or URLs here, for fear of advertisement consequences) that there is an addon ( are addons ) to the core that will kill, kick, or ban users that cheat. Where can I find a guide for how to add this to the core?

Thank you very much!

Chris

EDIT: Here is a link I found earlier to a .patch file.

http://getmangos.eu/community/showthread.php?3625-patch-Relaxed-Anti-cheat&p=113860&viewfull=1#post113860

How do you add them to the core to be compiled?

Thank you very much!

Chris

• 40 years later...

Thanks for your reply.

I believe it is WEH. As an admin I saw 2 people flying, so I logged into a player (GM Lvl 0) account and sent them a whisper and asked them how they did that. They showed me different things they could do, and I asked them where they got it. They said to Google for "WEH", so I did and came upon the DeathSoft website.

I downloaded it and ran it and to my amazement, any players (even those with GM Lv 0) can use all of the features. This includes teleport, fly, speedhack, etc...

Thank you very much.

Chris

this is good information to know, however i think that the best way to handle cheaters is to do so manually and make public spectacle of said cheater... disable thier accts or similar and make public posts to all users that using such cheats will result in deletion of chars or accts.. piss them off, show em WHY they shouldnt be cheating and how it will hurt them if they do... its more work perhaps but it will curb ppl from looking for such cheats in the future, rather than adding anti-cheat coding which almost always results in breaking other features of the server itself.

You might have a GM giving the flight spell to players for example .learn 5942 , i did it for my mom (LOL) not too worry i run my own server im not a GM on anyone elses and if i was i would not give special treatment to players. problem is when you do it everyone starts to expect it all the freaking time so the best suggestion i can give you is make only very trusted people your GM's. MaNGOS is soild i have not had any hackers some people do known explots and if i catch them i ban them. good luck

Yeah. Seeing that MaNGOS doesn't have an anti-cheat feature, I will assume there is no working one yet. Hopefuly there will be one in the future but for now, .ban it is.

Thanks to all those who replied and gave their insight to this problem...

Chris

did the best research i could, but I dont see a way to "detect" it without going into the code, and until july, i won't have time to do this. I will however be looking into it at that time.

For now you need to rely on your players. Find ones you trust, and offer them rewards for turning in hackers. If someone is reported, go invis, follow them, and then make a public spectacle of them when you find them

I will return to this topic in July, unfortunately it's just a really bad month for me. i'm moving at the end of june, and have a LOT to get done. Once that's all settled, this is one topic i really want to do some research on. i have some ideas.