We need your help

Guest TheLuda

Would love to contribute to maintaining GetMangos but i'm afraid its been a bad year for me with very little contract work and very few sales of my own software, i'm also having a hard time finding the funds for maintaining my own website, need to concentrate on keeping my family fed & clothed instead, wish I was back in the UK i used to be loaded back then with a full time well paid job even if it was a rat race, the US economy sucks :(

Things got so bad even considered taking MaNGOLin non-free but decided against it.

Cheers a sorry and very broke

Bannor

Now off to cry in some very cheap and nasty beer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that Luda that sucks some people are just fecking shits!

I actually don't release the source code to my work until i've been paid in full, and i issue my binaries to my first time customers using 60 day timeouts for their own testing purposes, i dont do this for repeat customers, failure to pay means no full license and code becomes useless so far ive had no problems or complaints

I know these methods cant be used for all types of development work such as web design, and you have my sympathies.

Luda I have no Idea what Germany is like these days, but I do know People are People and you have to watch your back constantly at work whether a contract employee, Freelancer, or regular employee...and with the World Economy falling like a rock, it doesn't matter where you live. I've been Freelancing for years but it's getting very hard just to keep food on the table anymore. Yes I'm in the US ATM but that can change in a second, it just depends when and where the money is coming from and who's got it. Most of the stuff I do is Micro-Controllers like the small computers that control how much this relay gets turned on or that relay...No not many people do this and demand is low because most of it is done by the people who make Automated Control Systems and what programmer gets there kicks doing math problems all day!...

Been freelancing for 4 years now from home, even though i have very varied skills from embedded micro-controllers, C, PLC's, SCADA through to Java, and SQL im finding it very hard to find work to support my family in the last 2 years, no one donates or so ive found so even keeping my website going is a chore, at least i have the option if things get too bad i can up sticks back to Aberdeen, Scotland and into a good paying job in the oil industry but it would be a real pain in the arse as im trying to take life easier.

Hope things work out for you Luda and that your mangos work doesnt suffer for it, i have some money coming in a couple of months and hope to donate something then.

bannor, you do PLC?...I'm having a little problem with a controller, entry is supposed to be at 0fc7 but it's coming back at 0d35 if this is correct shouldn't I be using macro-basic instead of PIC? it's a electro-relay mapper and it's has to fit into 32k of Rom, or am I looking at the math wrong? the controller is a TI-AM1810.

• 1 month later...
I've learned that the hard way the last month that trust is nothing you should invest as a freelancer. Been trying freelance to stay home and be there for my family, but up to now the results are rather unpleasant. I attract the bad customers like shit attracts the fly.

I've been visiting this site for awhile now, and I wanted to say what a great job y'all are doing!

I'm quoting you because I too have had this happen to me. I am a web designer too. Best thing that I have found (now) is to have a contract and have the clients sign it. Have some money if not all due up front.

Well just wanted to voice my thoughts on that. I look forward to coming back for more updates.

Take care and have a Very Wonderful Happy New Year!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...