windows server only 1,000 people?

• 40 years later...

The only real limits on how many players MaNGOS can support are your server's hardware specifications and the bandwidth of your network connection.

I've seen claims from Kero99 that his stable branch will support at least 2,000 players with no issues (lucky dog!).

I consider myself fortunate when I have more than one friend or family member logged in to help me with my server development.

The only real limits on how many players MaNGOS can support are your server's hardware specifications and the bandwidth of your network connection.

I've seen claims from Kero99 that his stable branch will support at least 2,000 players with no issues (lucky dog!).

I consider myself fortunate when I have more than one friend or family member logged in to help me with my server development.

The largest number of players online someone has seemingly had was 4500 on one server.

Well while it surely depends on HW capabilities, so a 60GHz (yes, 60) CPU and a few TBs of RAM could hold many thousands of players. Except that nobody can make a 60GHz CPU that doesn't burn itself several milliseconds after it's startup. That's where multiple cores come in, but AFAIK mangos isn't really well optimized to run on a multicore system. So yes, I'd imagine 4500 is possible, but with some sort of a multithread patch.

There used to be a thread on here about Multi-thread core and one for maps...the newer memory managers compiled to the core about a year ago does support multi-threading on intel cores...I'm running AMD my self and they basicly are required but useless for me....

There used to be a thread on here about Multi-thread core and one for maps...the newer memory managers compiled to the core about a year ago does support multi-threading on intel cores...I'm running AMD my self and they basicly are required but useless for me....

Intel's TBB is used on mangos only for allocation caching and memory pools to reduce the amount of mmap() calls. There's AFAIK no useful multithreading involved.

Intel's TBB is used on mangos only for allocation caching and memory pools to reduce the amount of mmap() calls. There's AFAIK no useful multithreading involved.

Ok thank you for the explanation, I guess I read it wrong when they were doing that along with the mmt threads and trying to get mangos mutithreaded...I haven't seen anything on it for the past 6 months or so