Anyone complaining about GiT.Consider this

Guest Mynt

Ok, think about this for a second.

Your a programmer, you program all day long. You are helping program a World of Warcraft emulation server. You are working on this crazy system of a closed source system. Something that you basically do guess and checks for.

You operate a server. You have to update SQL, you have to run SQL, you have to do commands and fill out .conf files any time you copile,change code etc.

Yet all of you that complain have the same thing in common. Why not ask for a GUI? If someone can program a database, and update and make a shell script or a restarter.. how hard is it to program a gui. For gods sake, its an opensource idea. The code may not be available, but your saying you can't do what you do on a daily basis for a multimillion dollar code system? Cmon people use your damn noggins.

If someone asked me, can you make a GUI for Git so that way people would stop crying about it. I would...but no one has asked. Instead everyone is running around here like twit wit ninnies complaining about how they cannot be spoonfed a damn treeline in a window pane.

Do one of two things please,

1. Realize you run SQL, realize you work with code all day long. How hard is $ git commands? Its even spelled out for you on how to synch like automatically. Imagine that.

2. SVN was not better. Maybe because it had a Graphical look, but hey, so does GiT when your installing it on Windows. Suck it up.

3. If your going to complain about it, program it yourself. It isnt going to change. Its not going to be updated because windows doesn't like it. If you cannot adapt and want to leave because your to ill wit to understand its just helping you understand more technical things, other than click the box done... then you need help. Save yourself 5 seconds of retardation, and learn how to type 3 commands to synch yourself.

-Mynt

I'm not entirely sure what all the complaints are about to be completely honest. The system isn't that hard. I think most of the issues are going to arise in the attempts to organize all the different pieces to the puzzle since there is no such thing as a revision number now... It appears we are going with a date/counter system.

Consider me voting for the rest... someone make a GUI that would show a log of revisions and allow someone to update or download the full package just by clicking on that revision.

The problem is that unless it is explicitly stated in the information about the revision, it is tough to look through the website to look for SQL updates. Many users wait for official DB support before they update their cores.

With that, another thing gets added to mind.

People should be part of the project, not depending on it. What should happen is someone take the iniative to make a changelog, or something where other users can see if thats the information they want.

I would once again take this on myself, however I am somewhere where I cannot actually connect to git because of a firewall.

Good ol military.

Consider me voting for the rest... someone make a GUI that would show a log of revisions and allow someone to update or download the full package just by clicking on that revision.
On windows there is git gui and gitk that does all of that .. though you need an earth shattering 15 clicks to update, not just 3 like tortoisesvn :D.
The problem is that unless it is explicitly stated in the information about the revision, it is tough to look through the website to look for SQL updates. Many users wait for official DB support before they update their cores.
We will fix SQL updates in a different way.. it will be much easier to work with them than ever before :).

I would once again take this on myself, however I am somewhere where I cannot actually connect to git because of a firewall.

= to remote repo or ssh?

For repo, try http link (I guess you have HTTP traffic allowed):

git clone [url]http://repo.or.cz/r/getmangos.git[/url]

Its blocked by a Blue Coat proxy server, basically keywords, and meta tags are what stops it. Sadly, even I can't write a program to strip out meta, *simple using a php proxy* because the computers on a military installation are pretty much impossible to break right now.

Revision numbers are probably the sole reason why I liked SVN better.

Perhaps the developers could do something really nice for all of us and maybe attach a number to each commit, like a normal number that increases at regular intervals and not a randomly-generated 26 digit hex code. I know, the code is automatically added, but that doesn't stop you from adding a new revision number anyway.

I would just like to comment that both SVN and GIT have their uses. One isn't really superior to the other as they are built for different purposes.

SVN is great for something like the official client. You can easily see changes and move backwards and forward. It is great for linear development.

GIT is great for open source projects since multiple people can develop at the same time and not lose their progress. It is better suited for non-linear development.

Personally I preferred SVN as it suited my style of development. I would hardly ever use patches written by someone other than me so a non-branching system like the old SVN worked great for me. The version numbering system allowed normal users to use the "unstable source" without much worry since we could ask them what revision they were using.

On a related note: I always felt my job was not to be a patch reviewer but to do my own coding and accomplish my own goals (primarily creature AI).

The version numbering system allowed normal users to use the "unstable source" without much worry since we could ask them what revision they were using.
That hasn't changed .. we ask people to give us the datetime + sha. This pair has the same property as revision numbers in that:

- it completely identifies a commit (there is a one in a million chance that you get two commits at the same time, but hash solves that)

- you can remember datetimes for at least a short time .. it's harder than revision numbers but doable, it's not random at least

- you can compare two datetimes to give you an idea of whether they have a certain change in the workin g copy .. there are some differences though in that when you see two rev numbers you don't know if they were a week apart or a day apart depending on how active the period is, and with dates you don't know if you had 10 commits or one commit in a day .. so it's a tradeoff

- you can update to a commit at a certain datetime .. you just need to do this in two steps, one to retrieve the sha corresponding to a datetime and one to copy paste that into something that switches to that commit .. .. note that with visual tools finding the datetime is like a dictionary search, and humans can do that pretty well so with gitk+git gui you can do it fast

- you can move "backwards and forwards" with git too .. we try to get rid of the unnecessary branches with rebase so the situation will be clear when you see something like "merged branch for different client version or merge branch for some big feature" .. all you need is to open gitk, find the commit you want and copy paste

- the datetime + sha is displayed in the client and we even found a way for users to be able to copypaste it from there when providing bug reports

Overall we can do everything we could do before, just a bit less conveniently, in most cases you can get used to it.

Revision numbers are probably the sole reason why I liked SVN better.
And now you have them back :P
Perhaps the developers could do something really nice for all of us and maybe attach a number to each commit, like a normal number that increases at regular intervals and not a randomly-generated 26 digit hex code. I know, the code is automatically added, but that doesn't stop you from adding a new revision number anyway.
We've considered this long before dates but without something in commit messages it would have been too hard to search for a specific revision and with them it would have been too hard to maintain them manually. These problems have been solved now with git_id which is a tool we use to automatically find the next revision number and make the changes to the commit message and revision file when doing a push.
question, without the revision numbers how do we match up what content db's will work with what comit of mangos?
We will probably go back to the old method of revision numbers instead of dates for sql updates too, but only after our tools are able to do this automatically.

I have been working on a client. It should be released in the near future. I have built a a program, very hackish right now, that will pass variables to the client in Windows.

One problem. If your using Vista, or not running in Administrator you get errors. Any one have a suggestion?

Its basically an Autoit script asking for input, and reading windows. Its generic, however it works.

-Mynt

try right clicking and running it as administrator. It has to do with the fact that on vista with UAC, its made to kind of copy the sudo on linux where you have to use it for certain things to work. What you can do is make it so the exe is always executed as administrator by making a shortcut and then going to the run as administrator check box then you don't have to keep right clicking and doing it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use