MoveMaps

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i assume this will sort out alot of the strange npc pathfinding behaviour like walking through walls (even with vmaps on) and so forth?

what an awesome addition this would be

We won't even need vmaps when this get's implemented except for line of sight issues with spells.

This patch is be the biggest breakthrough since vmaps, anybody that can help should do so.

This took months to go from original demo from Ralf to this status, but there is nothing to be added to core yet.

This is not realy a patch, but some external tools to generate move maps and see them + a nav mesh generator and viewer Derex made alone.

In order to check this set, I did generate all move maps for map 0, 1, 530 and many instances. I can upload them if you want since it took days of CPU to generate.

This took months to go from original demo from Ralf to this status, but there is nothing to be added to core yet.

This is not realy a patch, but some external tools to generate move maps and see them + a nav mesh generator and viewer Derex made alone.

In order to check this set, I did generate all move maps for map 0, 1, 530 and many instances. I can upload them if you want since it took days of CPU to generate.

Pls upload it, I want give it a try.

yes plz upload, want to give it a shot also

also quick question, how does one use these mmaps in conjunction with mangos? (*tutorial requested*)

thanx all

What needs to be done is:

* There is missing a reliable way of finding out what are the points around a certain point.

* The actual logic of which paths will be finded is missing.

With those two in todo list, I doubt you can actually test something about this patch... yet...

Neo's proposal for upload was directed at coders willing to develop the patch, I believe.

This is some mmaps I generated. This will is useful only to view what mmaps are only. Btw, you could have generated them yourself, I just share them because this needed several days of CPU to build.

http://filebeam.com/bdd2df383d103ce993cbfc5265be2712

Note: since mmaps are just coords computed from maps and vmaps, so no texture nor any object in, I don't think this is an ilegal content.

Everyone wants them, but no one is willing to do the work to make them. Personally, I don't have anywhere near the skill level needed to pull this off. Instead of continually asking if anyone has picked it up, is there anything we can do to help someone who might be interested in picking this up? We've got to be willing to do something if we want this to happen. :)

I think it's not a matter of 'not willing to do the work' but rather of having the time to do the work. This is a lot of work, even if you have all required skills, and I guess most people just lack that time. Which, imho, is perfectly understandable. It's a hobby project after all - meaning you don't get paid for it - so you still have to make a living somewhere else. That means spending countless hours a week on another job (including travel to and from work). Add a dozen hours a week of 'general housekeeping' and some sleep...and you don't have any time left for interesting project like this. Sad, but it's the hard reality...

tried the viewer on ubuntu (with mmaps from the readme link), I obtain a window with nothing else than a ligtblue color. any idea ?

$ ./mmap-viewer 0 31 31
Now reading /home/joseph/Bureau/EchangeUbuntu/Data-2.4.3-2/vmaps/000_31_31.vmap
Setting position to 16791.9 43.4075 16623.9 
Red iNMoveMapBoxes : 120
Red iNTreeNodes : 49
load done.

[edit] nevermind, sorted it out...

Contact Me About the information on the System you Are trien to Work on.

I have to much freetime and no life ;\\ think im perfect for this patch.

Contact me on Secondlife: Bioblaze Payne

Or by PM on this forum, ill come and check it out When I get the information.

Background: Die-Hard N.E.R.D. - (Never Even Read a Dictionary)

Hobbies: Peeing Code, for Squirts....

Sorry I also have a insane sense of humor, ;\\ go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm playing with it, no guarantee it will lead to something useful. I dont have much time to spend at coding.

I explore a zone and portal concept, where the grid is sliced into connected free-move zones (rectangles with no obstacles). Hopefully this could lead to acceptable live A*, perhaps better random movement too.

I'll post more info if/when I have something useable.

I'm playing with it, no guarantee it will lead to something useful. I dont have much time to spend at coding.

I explore a zone and portal concept, where the grid is sliced into connected free-move zones (rectangles with no obstacles). Hopefully this could lead to acceptable live A*, perhaps better random movement too.

I'll post more info if/when I have something useable.

Cool, Cant let this beautiful things slip away. Looking forward progress on this.

• 1 month later...

I'm still on it, I dedicate the few time I have to continue it, but progress is slow due to my free time.

move zones are generated, in-layer zone to zone portals too, R*Tree with point lookup and point with height delta lookups are ok. save and load of the tree needs to be done (stored as an array right now)

gave up layer's connexion points to make layer to layer portals, wrote my own lookup routines, needs more work.

grid to grid portals need to be done.

the generator is very slow right now, will need optimisation.

path generator needs to be done.

a scene before my work :

image1cjd.th.png

a scene with zones and portals :

image2cne.th.png

the same from above w/o vmaps and mmaps :

image3mfg.th.png