MoveMaps

I'm still on it, I dedicate the few time I have to continue it, but progress is slow due to my free time.

move zones are generated, in-layer zone to zone portals too, R*Tree with point lookup and point with height delta lookups are ok. save and load of the tree needs to be done (stored as an array right now)

gave up layer's connexion points to make layer to layer portals, wrote my own lookup routines, needs more work.

grid to grid portals need to be done.

the generator is very slow right now, will need optimisation.

path generator needs to be done.

a scene before my work :

image1cjd.th.png

a scene with zones and portals :

image2cne.th.png

the same from above w/o vmaps and mmaps :

image3mfg.th.png

Nice indeed :)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, good work as always...

So I want to help on implementation too

I have a few ideas how to optimize the process of path generation.

How about CUDA?

I know it sounds too freaky but it is good posibility to divide the CPU usage with GPU :P

And it will be quite simple to implement...

jolan where I can download the sources of your "box style" map generator, as I saw on screenshots.

Can you share them for me? I have a lot of free time to work with mangos.

I know it sounds too freaky but it is good posibility to divide the CPU usage with GPU :P
Only if it will work on any type of GPU, with varying performance on different types maybe. Before resorting to that kind of stuff better just implement something that will work fast for everyone while designing it in such a way that its components can easily be optimized further after that.

How about CUDA?

And it will be quite simple to implement...

hm... CUDA only works when you have a graphic card... much servers don't even have any graphic card (network boot+remote management), or they only have an onboard graphic card... but to really use CUDA you would need a fast graphiccard like a nvidia 9XXX or a 280 (or 295), and that's not a server graphiccard...

so implementing a SERVER with CUDA is the wrong way, better implement a clustering system with a good thread- and processmanagement.

btw, we're going offtopic here...

b2t: i hope MoveMaps will once get into a 'usable' version which doesn't cost much performance, because it would be a big improvement :)

I'm sorry but CUDA works only with GF 8400 and later cards.

Ati has such technology too but I haven't worked with their implementation.

CUDA may be used to generete nav mesh patterns cuz gameobjects and landscapes are similar repeating.

Like trees, lamps or others...

With some movement patterns we don't need to generate the whole process of pathfinding.

The paterns may be changeble by some function with arguments like bonding radius or count of creatures that using this path.

The generator will be difficult, but with CUDA processing, it would be very fast.

As for me I am just a beginner with developing mangos but I've got many ideas how yo make it much better.

I need your critics and help.

jolan where I can download the sources of your "box style" map generator, as I saw on screenshots.

Can you share them for me? I have a lot of free time to work with mangos.

It's not ready yet, lots of experiments / bad code to clean before releasing it.

There will be modification to do that are not related to the new code, eg updating the original code to the current mangos version, which can be done now ...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Derex and Jolan. How about the project? i just wana.

I'm still continuing it but I'm still lacking time.

By the way could the movement of mobs can be fixed by collision detection?:lol: just a suggestion.

no because collision detection takes too much CPU and it would not handle holes, big slopes etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jolan, is it possible to make your code available somewhere (git/svn)?

I would like to have a look and see if I can be of any value.

If you are anything like me you will probably agree that it's much more motivating to work in a team then do things solo.

Some months ago i ran in a mmo development video presented in googletechtalks channel on youtube. link

There are talking about server structure, used scripts (math, quest,... ), why these not others, npc ai, npc scripting modules and much more. Anyway very enjoyable video and it is possible it can give some good ideas.

mmo is called Planeshift, homepage link here.

The beauty of it is that the game is opensource, source code is under GPL license, some parts is their own licence, but is mainly storyline, characters etc. license link here.

I havent tried playing for myself, so i don't know how good/bad is their pathfinding. The main idea of this post is, maybe it is possible to adapt some parts of their code to mangos? it could be a great timesaver.

Ok, there have been requests for source code.

the code is still somewhat bad and full of debug traces but here it is :

git clone git://github.com/jolan/MoveMaps.git

it's still for the original version of maps/vmaps, it needs an update.

I'm now implementing mmap-connector, a tool that links grids to nearby grids.

• 4 weeks later...