communication and integration of patch

Auntie Mangos

The integration of patches into the main repository mainly depends on the involvement of the community. The more testing, co-development, etc. the community provides, the higher the chance for a patch to become part of the main source tree. With the recent changes to our repository structure, we now also support three separate branches of MaNGOS for WoW 1.12.1, 2.4.3, and 3.3.5a, and most bigger patches get ported back to older versions, too.

As you may have noticed, currently patches focussing on the inner workings, or improving the overall performance do have priority. Help with testing these, and submit feedback on these, and enjoy a better core for everyone.

To name a few, mmaps redux by faramir118, or the Warden patch by Neo2003.

Despite the looks of things, there are ground-breaking changes going on right under your nose, and many of these are features wanted by the community for a very long time, and unique to MaNGOS, too.

Thats awesome, i dont really get this with how you get mmaps on zero, one and master?

It is easier than you expect it to be. In the mmaps redux thread, you will find a list of three branches, one for each mangos version.

If you intend to use mangos-zero, you would do something like this to combine the normal mangos-zero sources with the mmaps code:

$ git clone [url]https://github.com/mangos/zero.git[/url]
$ cd zero
$ git remote add mmaps [url]https://github.com/faramir118/mangos.git[/url]
$ git fetch mmaps
$ git git checkout --track -b mmaps mmaps/mmaps_zero
$ git merge mmaps

What this does is to clone the current mangos-zero code, then download the mmaps code into a remote named mmaps. Then we create a tracking branch named mmaps pointing to the branch mmaps_zero inside the mmaps remote. Finally we merge the mmaps code into the mangos-zero code.

Then you follow the instructions in the order provided by faramir118. It works :)

• 41 years later...

Developers team make a very good job by creating / integrating / amending "10" corrections per days :) at minimum :)

but sometimes I am surprised by the numbers of patch under review with no evolution / integration

also some patch are under developement and they never been finished for month / years for many reasons

my post is just to say that their is some lack of communication, and some communication from developers teams will be good to the community

but it is my point of view ...

Developers are very busy with a lot of work so there will be a few exceptions where patches will be left to sit for awhile for other important patches.

Plus all developers have real life's they have to get on with, can't spend 24 hours a day patching and developing mangos core.

Rest assured though sooner or later all patches will be looked at and evaluated :]

The integration of patches into the main repository mainly depends on the involvement of the community. The more testing, co-development, etc. the community provides, the higher the chance for a patch to become part of the main source tree.

=> I have never sayd their is no integration of patch, but not too much communication on them (is their somebody looking at one, for example)

=> regarding integration of patch I do not see any logic (=> "the more testing ", not so sure)

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of mmaps stuff done actually. But at the current point of development, it is crucial that our users - that is you obviously - download and test the mmaps branch by faramir118 (which is a very simple git merge), and try it on real systems to find more issues.

Personally I am using mmaps on mangos-zero and it is very, very stable as it is. What does need love is those special cases you only see when you actually try to play on a test server and move through areas to spot ground where things go wrong.

actually the best way of learnign is to do things yourself :P

afaik mmaps work with nealry the same code on one and zero, as the vmaps are (now) the same structure, and mmaps are desinges good enough!

About original topic:

Well, we all want the devs to give final answers about questions/ patches; and so these answers take ofc quite some time.

So I think everybody must set his priorities: does he prefer a good answer over a fast answer or nor..

i mean could i do the exact same thing with the one repository? (sorry for asking so much but as i know it its the best way of learning)

I am quite sure, everyone willing to learn and invest some effort, could do that too. The main difference for mmaps between the mangos branches is the actual map format, and available ground types. If you take a look at the map extractor code, you will see the difference.

The great thing here is, with just one git repository on your computer, you can connect to as many other git repositories and branches and exchange changes as you see fit, thus you can also do things such as build mmaps for all branches, as you can commit atomic changes, and use git cherry-pick to select changes for each mangos branch.

With regards to the topic itself. Things may go slower here compared to other server implementations, but things are friendlier, lighter, and in most cases, their of higher quality, too.

That mangos is more about values and code is probably the one thing we communicated ever since we started out.