this is NOT a "when will MANGOS support CATA" thread

Lithiria

My big question is how do all those private servers out there support cata? The reason I think this is related to MANGOS is because there is a youtube video out there that has links to something called NOVO and they say that the NOVO server core is based on MANGOS. I never downloaded it because it says there are huge trainer problems and it was made for alpha 4.0.0 last year, but there are so many servers out there that support 4.1 and 4.2 that it baffles me how they have figured it out. I'm just looking for how they are doing it. If someone has played on one of those servers, I would love to know how well it works and how they are able to do it.

I'm sure one of you will say "sign up and find out yourself", but the problem is I move apartments a lot nowadays and my bandwidth will not allow me to play warcraft over the internet anymore. I play MANGOS supporting 3.3.5 12340 alone on my laptop for fun (I call it world of onecraft... whatever...)

-Lith

I could be wrong but i think the projects our there supporting the latest version require modification to the client which is not supported by mangos or even legal for that matter. some of these projects may be based on mangos but they are not supported by the mangos community

There is more to it than just the issue of client modification, to be honest. As you can see on github, we do have BreakTrue, which allows for patching the game client to connect with custom realms. This and our 400 branch of mangos would allow for working on the 4.x client.

Sadly, this is sort of troublesome in itself. As we all know people do (very) frequently demand for MaNGOS and any other server project to work like the real servers. As it stands, MaNGOS (and any other server project) is identical to original servers, close for some features, and far away for others.

With Cataclysm and the 4.x version of WoW in general it all boils down to this: do we try to finish our work on MaNGOS Zero, MaNGOS One, and MaNGOS for WotLK first, or abandon those and move to Cataclysm for the sole purpose of being first.

4.x/Cataclysm pretty much means that game features in WoW ever since the 1.x days are gone, and it is quite a lot of them gone. And a lot of fresh game features in there.

Personally I favour the route of reaching a state of "complete" for Zero, One, and WotLK first. 4.x is a different thing, and it would probably be worth a MaNGOS rewrite from scratch, instead of upgrading the current sources. Why? Because the past six years of MaNGOS provided a whole world of DOs and DONTs that probably would lead to a totally different type of development model if we had known before.

Conclusion: MaNGOS will NEVER support 4.x ???

Probably. But I'd personally rather have a near completely working WotLK than a hacky Cataclysm like the other servers.

The amount of work this requires would be more of an accomplishment that a buggy 4.x core in my opinion :)

• 2 months later...

It would be difficult to get a quality working 4.x when Blizz cant even manage that! :rolleyes:

Moving on to 4.x would be like the community having ADD... why cant we just focus on (for the FIRST TIME) completing something?

I agree, we have enough on our plates to finish. We have 1.12.1/2.4.3/3.3.5a and NONE of them are perfect yet... so what in the HECK would we take on yet ANOTHER version.

If people want to play 4.x go play Blizz! For the rest of the universe who does not want to play it (because it stinks... and I speak from experience) then lets work on Mangos and related projects.

In fact this work in past in opposition way: without existance mangos master progress will be impossible have now in zero/one working bg/arenas or many parts spell system, because obly with new spell data in 3.x has been possible understand some parts bliz spell system internals. And same in many other parts. 3.x help understand some packets fields meaning and this later applied to zero/one where related field less used but anyway useful, etc.

Main problem not working this in 4.x because lot additional problems with way bliz hidding/protection against research actual data.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been a part of this community for a long time, back when WoWemu was the only emulator out their. Back when OldOne was alive and breaking the encryption on wow.exe's . What I can say is this,

1. The emulated versions may never be perfect if we copy exactly what is in official due to official having fundamental core issues.

2. You have more than adequate information available for completion of said editions.

3. Cata may have a lot of changes on the surface, however underneath all the cool stuff (bypassing the streaming of content feature as the game can be played with all content fully downloaded and installed -- aka a bare from disc install with no patches), all it really is, is some UI modifications and map corrections which is essentially what vmap should be doing from the server side to determine world collision. I also understand that quite some time ago, you had fixed the server so that it would automatically correct invalid z-location's on spawns when too far below or above the resulting area available from vmaps ...

Now, spawning all the new mobs, changing their mechanics, altering quest chains and adding the new quest chains, and adding in archaeology may pose as a chore, but it is nothing that hasn't been undertaken before as a team effort from the folks over at UDB, and this is why characters and such should remain in database tables --- NOT as a core part of the code, as this makes for much simpler alteration -- remapping of spells, rezoning coords, changing weapons, etc.

Just my two cents

Card.

1. The emulated versions may never be perfect if we copy exactly what is in official due to official having fundamental core issues.

Specifically...?

2. You have more than adequate information available for completion of said editions.

As do you. What have you contributed exactly? Please stop pointing fingers and realize that until you start learning and helping, you're part of the problem.

Not to mention that there are still a ton of mysteries remaining, some of which may never be solved. Here's a forum full: http://pretbc.com/viewforum.php?id=22

3. Cata may have a lot of changes on the surface, however underneath all the cool stuff (bypassing the streaming of content feature as the game can be played with all content fully downloaded and installed -- aka a bare from disc install with no patches), all it really is, is some UI modifications and map corrections which is essentially what vmap should be doing from the server side to determine world collision. I also understand that quite some time ago, you had fixed the server so that it would automatically correct invalid z-location's on spawns when too far below or above the resulting area available from vmaps ...

It also adds quite a few new mechanics, some of which build on WotLK mechanics which still do not function in mangos master right now.

But yeah, it isn't a gigantic leap, in fact I think it's less of a leap than TBC -> WotLK. But still, I would rather see vanilla, TBC, and WotLK get some attention, instead of just the latest instance.

With Cataclysm and the 4.x version of WoW in general it all boils down to this: do we try to finish our work on MaNGOS Zero, MaNGOS One, and MaNGOS for WotLK first, or abandon those and move to Cataclysm for the sole purpose of being first.

The first.

I would rather have a stable version 3.3.5 then a 4.X with bugs.

Knowing that 3.3.5 is not yet bullit proof.

For those who want to play 4.X, then play on blizzard and let developper work hard in mean time.

Agree: as already said, we are not yet finished work with 1.12.1/2.4.3/3.3.5a. We should focus on finish these ones before going to redo most of the work to implement cataclyms.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use