My pc is getting old (6 years), and i'm looking into buying a new one at last.

But I always did the following:

Compile Mangos on my pc (xp 32bit) and then, when all was fine,

i copied the files over to my other pc wich is dedicated to mangos (family&friends-scale server), and also runs xp32-bit.

I'd like to keep Xp on the mangos dedicated one, since i know Xp 'pretty well',

whilst i have little knowledge of 'finetuning' win7 for running mangos 24/7.

So:

Can I compile Mangos on win7 32-bit and then copy it over to a winXP 32-bit machine, and see it run flawlessly like before?

it _should_ be possible, but I would advise some tests if the stuff is running ;)

I built some win32 files recently, hey might include custom content (so maybe you won't get over loading creature_template), but this should be good enough to check if they actually run.

http://filebeam.com/d15793fd574a000047498cb7162a748e

They were built on Win7 64bit with VC100 in 32bit Release mode

http://filebeam.com/d15793fd574a000047498cb7162a748e

They were built on Win7 64bit with VC100 in 32bit Release mode

That is the best way to verify indeed. Thank you!

2011-09-10 18:51:59 WORLD: World initialized

Booted perfectly. :)

Yet, with the 4gig ram limit (would like to mount 8gig ram) of 32bit OS, I think i'm gonna use this as best solution:

A dualboot (why didn't i think of that earlier^^):

-Win7 64bit as gaming environment

&

-XPpro 32bit as Mangos build&test environment

Now, off to choosing parts. <:)

Thanks again for intel guys! :)

You cannot have both operating systems running on the same computer at the same time. Why dont you just run mangos in win7 aswell? Also i think a application needs to be 64 bit compiled to use the " highmem ", so if you run mangos in 64, it will have a few gigs for itself... But this is just how i understood it

You cannot have both operating systems running on the same computer at the same time.

Actually, you can, through various virtualization techniques...but "dual boot" typically refers to having both installed and choosing which one to boot from a boot loader.

And as i understood, mangos will not run on his new 64bit PC but another dedicated machine with 32bit Windows.

You cannot have both operating systems running on the same computer at the same time.

Actually, you can, through various virtualization techniques...but "dual boot" typically refers to having both installed and choosing which one to boot from a boot loader.

And as i understood, mangos will not run on his new 64bit PC but another dedicated machine with 32bit Windows.

Yeah, parralization anyways, if you compile mangos as 32 with windows 64 then it will be able to run winxp32 no need for dualboot

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and have no trouble running Mangos 32 bit on it. The only problem I seem to have is VS2008 skips everything when trying to build x64...so it's time I guess to update to VS 2010 even if I don't like it.

It skips because there are no possibility to compile x64 with "express editions" you need to "buy" it to be able to compile in x64

- LilleCarl

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and have no trouble running Mangos 32 bit on it. The only problem I seem to have is VS2008 skips everything when trying to build x64...so it's time I guess to update to VS 2010 even if I don't like it.

It skips because there are no possibility to compile x64 with "express editions" you need to "buy" it to be able to compile in x64

- LilleCarl

ok then tell me why I have 'Visual Studio 2008 Pro' that cost me $1236 with company Discount and 3 years MSDN Membership with all of the x64 sources turned on and this problem only started 2 months ago with it

Thank you Faramir118, I'm installing that as I type this....and I'll give it a run thru in a little while..and no I don't have Express Edition I mostly work on Assembler programming but I'm still trying to learn C++.

No That didn't fix it...it's still skipping everything it's like a switch got turned off and I can't seem to find it....

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to keep Xp on the mangos dedicated one, since i know Xp 'pretty well'

That is why. I'm a GNU/Linux User myself, but over the years I got to the conclusion, that "Linux" just isn't something you can convince people to use. Lot's of people I know use their computer just for browsing the web, typing some letters and doing some table calculation stuff. All these could be done on a very small GNU/Linux installation, but if the welcome screen after the boot process does not say 'Windows xyz' and if the Office tools are not 'MS Office' people do not switch.

Once you "convinced" them at least try to it, they will bomb you with questions how to change hundred dozens of thing you can not even image someone would like to change/modify and you will often hear the sentence "on Windows xzy it always worked that way". My observation is if people want to switch to GNU/Linux they have to start on their own. You can guide them, but making them is only possible if you bought the PC.

Regards

Skirnir

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use