Archerus Eye

Auntie Mangos

(Schmoo for nothing calls it "from bunch of authors", the code - my, that I put in there this spell and lockai, may see this in rsa branch, taken from other authors code here less than 20%) watched the options precursors, and even then (feb 2010) was not one.

I call code "from a bunch of authors" when I didn't yet care to investigate who the actual authorlist was.

Especially for code I consider as bad.

However a simple look into http://getmangos.eu/community/topic/9668 shows first patches from GriffonHeart, around end of 2009.

Then a major change in this patch happened when Silverice implemented FarSight (which was at these times the major problem of the patch)

So - without further investigation - I would assume original author of this patch was GriffonHeart, and most likely you (rsa) have been an author in the list of authors as well.

Anyhow, please stop to claim every bit of code that you see here; It might be similar to code you published, this does not mean it was taken from you, and even it was taken from your repository it does not directly mean that you are to be considered author.

At least don't assume hostility where there is none.

In this very case here I can only tell that when I wrote "a bunch of authors" (and "author unknown" in the commit's message) I did not intend to discard anyone's work, but just to emphasize that I haven't investigated who did which work in which step of the patch or the problem.

Also please relax more about these things - we all stand on the sholders of other people.

Edit: To post at least on topic:

PS it's not fully blizzlike, blizz use spells, absent in DBC, instead 530. all other mechanic - same.

When I looked into this problem, I didn't find a trace of a server-side spell, so I cannot conclude to this. (ofc maybe I forgot)

• 41 years later...

MaNGOS: 11836 (latest)

UDB: 402 (latest)

SD2: also latest..

As discussed here (http://www.scriptdev2.com/project.php?issueid=1313),

The Archerus Eye does not work, meaning, DK's will not be able to advance, unless they grind experience, which would we be impossible since you can't even go on the ground yet until at least a couple other quests after this one.. really I am shocked to see this issue go so long in the core with out and resolve.

F.A.Q:

• Q: Why are you posting this on MaNGOS forums:
  • A: If you read the whole discussion on sd2, it requires some core modification

PICTURE OF BUG, if you didn't understand what I meant about the bug.

http://i43.servimg.com/u/f43/12/63/27/30/captur10.jpg

ScriptDev has begun some development for it.. but there is nothing we can do with this until the core supports it..

http://paste2.org/p/1749574

I don't normally stick my nose where it doesn't belong, and coding and bugs are ABSOLUTELY a place my nose doesn't belong, but this post made me mad!

DK's will not be able to advance, unless they grind experience, which would we be impossible since you can't even go on the ground yet until at least a couple other quests after this one

This is not true. You can easily use the GM function ".questcomplete [questID/shift-click quest]" to complete this quest and advance the DK plotline. Also, if you don't want to complete the quest and you really chose to grind, there are the ".tele [locID/loc plain name]" and the ".gm fly on" codes to get you wherever you want to go. To anyone having trouble with a quest because coding doesn't support it, GM functions always work to bypass the issue. Just my two cents.

-Lith

I don't normally stick my nose where it doesn't belong, and coding and bugs are ABSOLUTELY a place my nose doesn't belong, but this post made me mad!

DK's will not be able to advance, unless they grind experience, which would we be impossible since you can't even go on the ground yet until at least a couple other quests after this one

This is not true. You can easily use the GM function ".questcomplete [questID/shift-click quest]" to complete this quest and advance the DK plotline. Also, if you don't want to complete the quest and you really chose to grind, there are the ".tele [locID/loc plain name]" and the ".gm fly on" codes to get you wherever you want to go. To anyone having trouble with a quest because coding doesn't support it, GM functions always work to bypass the issue. Just my two cents.

-Lith

So why whats to stop you for doing that with every quest? My point here is that it's a bug, and not everyone will know how to do that command, or maybe there is someone with out GM level 3. It's a bug, let's fix it, resolve it, move on.

-Lith

This post made you mad? Seriously?!? GM commands should never be considered a fix for any bug, ever. Bringing in a GM is a last resort that should only be used when things are so FUBAR'ed that no other workaround exists.

As for the bug itself. I remember back when Mangos first supported WOTLK. At the time, I let my friend playtest on my server and his response was "This mangos thing is pretty cool, but the eye doesn't work so I can't play as a death knight" I've never played as a Death Knight before, as the class never interested me, but my response back then was "Mangos just started supporting WOTLK, so many bugs should be expected. But since death knights are the new class for WOTLK, I'm sure it will be a very high priority quest fix and will be dealt with soon". We left it at that and I never thought about it since. To hear that it still hasn't been dealt with is a little surprising and I understand what manofwar95 is saying. You would figure this request/issue would be brought up on a regular basis. I guess no one else plays Death Knights either :P

-Lith

This post made you mad? Seriously?!? GM commands should never be considered a fix for any bug, ever. Bringing in a GM is a last resort that should only be used when things are so FUBAR'ed that no other workaround exists.

As for the bug itself. I remember back when Mangos first supported WOTLK. At the time, I let my friend playtest on my server and his response was "This mangos thing is pretty cool, but the eye doesn't work so I can't play as a death knight" I've never played as a Death Knight before, as the class never interested me, but my response back then was "Mangos just started supporting WOTLK, so many bugs should be expected. But since death knights are the new class for WOTLK, I'm sure it will be a very high priority quest fix and will be dealt with soon". We left it at that and I never thought about it since. To hear that it still hasn't been dealt with is a little surprising and I understand what manofwar95 is saying. You would figure this request/issue would be brought up on a regular basis. I guess no one else plays Death Knights either :P

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So, this thing got me a bit interested. Let's see what one can find out about this.

All Data are from UDB or DBCs directly

We are talking about quest 12641 - "Death Comes From On High" (http://udbtrac.dyndns.org/index.php?quest=12641).

In this quest it is necessary to use GO 191609 which is a Type 10 GO (Goober), with Spell 51888 as data10.

This spell (in Spell.dbc) goes by the name of "Summon Eye of Acherus".

It has 1 effect of type FORCE_CAST (140) with ImplicitTargetA TARGET_DUELVSPLAYER(25)(The description seems wrong) and EffectTriggerSpell 51852.

Spell 51852 is "The Eye of Acherus". It has 3 effects. Twice APPLY_AURA (6) and once SUMMON (28).

The auras applied are 260 and 261 to the player which appears to be SCREEN_EFFECT and PHASE.

SCREEN_EFFECT seems to be client side only, so that should work fine.

PHASE has some handling in place.

Now, for the summon, it has ImplicitTargetA TABLE_X_Y_Z_COORDINATES (17) and MiscValues 28511 (Creature: The Eye of Acherus) and 65 (from SummonProperties.dbc)

SummonProperties 65 has all zeros except for "Group" which is CONTROLLABLE (3).

For those curious, this is handled in game/SpellEffects.cpp line 4695++ and calls DoSummonGuardian(). So I guess this would be a good place to start looking for what is wrong...

I will try to continue this later, hope it helps somewhat...

It's a learning process for us all ;) But very kind of you to look down on us blessing our humble efforts - it makes this feel much more effective...

So, in mangosR2 type 65 is handled customly in EffectSummonPossessed. The possessing is done by casting Spell 530 (Charm (Possess)) on the Eye once it is summoned. I assume this will yield the correct result. Now my question would be, if this is Blizzlike (aka, are there sniffs for this?) or if it "just works"...

you can take a look at

https://github.com/wow4you/mangos/commit/4311dc670b045ec52e92da1642c0d29d10e1f955 (authors go over a bunch of people, I don't know the trace of this patch to the version I used for custom purpose, likely history can be found in the old eye of acherus thread.)

There are a bunch of changes related to the eye of acherus (main motivation).

At least should tell you which places for spell 51852, Effect SUMMON, SummonProperties 65

Your analysis of the situation infact is correct :)

Now to the problems about this patch:

- research problem: "switch(prop_id)" Why aren't all SUMMON_PROP_GROUP_CONTROLLABLE handled with similar things?

- implementation problems:

* summon->LockAI(true); <-- this is kind of a hack, infact what we require is that sometimes a controlled npc "keeps" his own AI, and usually it won't

This requires both research and better ideas of implementation

* m_caster->CastSpell(summon, 530, true); <-- this is a clear hack, the spell 530 is not used related to eye of acherus;

However it might still be possible to do so, as it might be more convenient to handle all the MC stuff with one spell, than to do the required steps manually

Also alternate ways of implementation are always interesting

Edit:

Quality of this patch: It doesn't work proper and it is not written proper.

(a final check would be if you are able to fly the eye, or need to jump before able to fly)

Ah, research... Now, let's see:

SUMMON_PROP_GROUP_CONTROLLABLE (3) is set in SummonProperties.dbc for Effects 65, 427, 428, and 1301

Effect 65 is used for Spells

126 Eye of Kilrogg

6272 Eye of Yesmur (PT)

11403 Dream Vision

30009 Summon Robot

37747 Summon Teron Gorefiend

44412 Hawk Hunting

46619 Raise Ally

49289 Summon Crashin' Thrashin' Racer

51852 The Eye of Acherus

Effect 427 is used for Spells

49352 Crashin' Thrashin' Racer Controller

75111 Blue Crashin' Thrashin' Racer Controller

Effect 428 is used for Spells

45257 Using Steam Tonk Controller

45440 Steam Tonk Controller

65451 [PH] Using MiniZep Controller

Effect 1301 is used for Spell

50019 Hawk Hunting

Now, with the exception of Raise Ally, they all have AttributesEx & 0x2000... Will check more later

It's a learning process for us all ;) But very kind of you to look down on us blessing our humble efforts - it makes this feel much more effective...

So, in mangosR2 type 65 is handled customly in EffectSummonPossessed. The possessing is done by casting Spell 530 (Charm (Possess)) on the Eye once it is summoned. I assume this will yield the correct result. Now my question would be, if this is Blizzlike (aka, are there sniffs for this?) or if it "just works"...

do not pretend to be an idiot. No one is "looking at". even i, when wrote version with spell 530 (Schmoo for nothing calls it "from bunch of authors", the code - my, that I put in there this spell and lockai, may see this in rsa branch, taken from other authors code here less than 20%) watched the options precursors, and even then (feb 2010) was not one.

PS it's not fully blizzlike, blizz use spells, absent in DBC, instead 530. all other mechanic - same.

Sart13, apologies for the irony.

Okay, I have another observation here:

AttributesEx & 0x2000 is in the following spells:

126 Eye of Kilrogg

605 Mind Control

1002 Eyes of the Beast

2096 Mind Vision

6115 Far Sight (PT)

6196 Far Sight

6197 Eagle Eye

6272 Eye of Yesmur (PT)

6277 Bind Sight (PT)

6495 Sentry Totem

7033 Charm+ (TEST)

8345 Control Machine

10909 Mind Vision

11403 Dream Vision

11446 Mind Control

16053 Dominion of Soul

21171 Ryson's Eye in the Sky

21425 Ryson's Eye in the Sky

21556 Control Shredder

21566 Control Shredder

30009 Summon Robot

35339 Lee's TEST Mind Vision

37747 Summon Teron Gorefiend

37868 Arcano

37893 Arcano

37895 Arcano

38003 Fel Reaver Controller

38121 Fel Reaver Controller

38123 Fel Reaver Controller

38126 Fel Reaver Controller

38128 Fel Reaver Controller

38130 Fel Reaver Controller

38915 Mental Interference

40789 Zoom Out

40791 Zoom Out

40792 Zoom In

40793 Zoom In

42013 QAE Charm

42129 First Person Camera

42168 Mindless Abomination Control

42353 Spyglass

43975 Switch View

44412 Hawk Hunting

44420 Hawk Hunting

45257 Using Steam Tonk Controller

45440 Steam Tonk Controller

48187 You're a...! (Player Test #2)

49289 Summon Crashin' Thrashin' Racer

49352 Crashin' Thrashin' Racer Controller

50019 Hawk Hunting

51852 The Eye of Acherus

57532 Eye of Acherus

65451 [PH] Using MiniZep Controller

75111 Blue Crashin' Thrashin' Racer Controller

I understand that the patch GriffonHeart you have not seen? I have it (I saw three ready-realization, when he made his own, including this one). and it was built on an entirely different principle, so consider it a prototype - is incorrect.

in my code TOC also has about 10 lines (of 12000) written GriffonHeart - I mention him among the pleased, but it does not make him co-author.

regard sniffs - server-side spells may not have external manifestation like cast, you can find them (occasionally) as removes the aura.

Since this effect calls DoSummonGuardian(), perhaps what is missing would be to treat the eye as one of the NPC vehicles in which players sometimes go along for the ride?

In Cataclysm, there were several such vehicles and they were all summoned as a minion. One example of this is the X-52 rocket you ride from Light's Hope chapel to the new Goblin town situated on the eastern shores of the Eastern Kingdoms, in the mountains above the Blasted Lands.

• 3 weeks later...