Fresh install of master branch; RHEL6.3 -- can't connect to realm

TheDudeAbides

Question

Hi all. Brand new member of the forums, and the project. Veteran of the paid game.

On the subject of realm list showing "offline":

(Which seems to have been covered ad nauseum in other threads.) :/

I have a fresh compile, install, and working 4.3.4 Server which came from the latest 'master' branch off our repo as of 9/17/2012. (RHEL 6.3/Linux for those interested.) No fatal errors in any of the daemons after they start. The services/daemons stay started, and serve their apps accordingly.

In my case, the actual server's IP is 192.168.1.50 --- Keep this in mind. For LAN testing purposes, I have set all of the config files, realmlist IP in the database, and the realmlist.wtf to the above mentioned IP. I have also changed the realmname.

I can authenticate against the MaNGOS server and see my newly created realm -- but it shows "off-line". I know that it's been covered a hundred times in the past on the forums, so no roasting PLEASE. Again, for the time being I have hard coded all of the IP's to the actual server -- for continuity's sake.

I read up on this issue for ~8 hours yesterday before posting this: in an effort to do the 'needful', and not be lazy. I had the same issues last-night, before I decided to do a complete reinstall this morning. The same issue is happening. My client can see and connect to the server, but not the realm.

FWIW -- I am using a 3.3.5a client to log in and to test connectivity (because I set my account level to WOTLK in the database) -- I am not sure if I need to do a reinstall of the 3.3.5 branch to test my setup, or stay at the current master for 4.3.4?

The reason I chose to post this here is: (that) I have a working 4.3.4 Linux server with all the CATA maps, vmaps, and dbc files needed for a complete "working" install. I have a known working 3.3.5a client --> yet I still connect to the realm. The client works with my other (3.3.5a) private server, which of course is shut down at this time. I am in the process of downloading, and installing the new 4.3.4 client just to be safe. Will report the findings here.

EDIT ****I am a Mac user (w/ a current MOP/Blizz install on my main account). It requires some hoop jumping to make work ie: building a new client, outside of the /Applications folder, which using the install DVD doesn't allow for this -- b/c it checks the /App folder for the WoW Application's existence. In the end, I may back it up and do a fresh re-install and post the findings here.*****

Is this related to what others seem to experience? To me, it isn't the same b/c they always seem to have an IP, or Port(s) related issue. In my case, it's a single server, I'm on my own LAN, there's NO firewalls on this LAN.

PS: I am pretty heavy into Linux, having used it since '95 and being employed by a Linux Vendor. I don't say this to appear arrogant, but instead to convey that I'd be glad to offer any Linux assistance should it be required. I realize that there are many smart, and extremely capable people here, just wanted to throw my name in the hat to help if I ever can. I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area. I'll remove the post if so.

8 answers to this question

Hmm..... you seem to have covered all the bases, so forgive me while i run off a couple of things that spring to mind !!

in the realmdb, check the timezone - i had to change mine to 1 to get things to work

check that the port in the db matches the port in the conf files.

failing that, can you get an export of your realmdb from your old server and load it up on your new one to compare the settings ?

Sorry, thats all i can think of for now :(

Hmm..... you seem to have covered all the bases, so forgive me while i run off a couple of things that spring to mind !!

in the realmdb, check the timezone - i had to change mine to 1 to get things to work

check that the port in the db matches the port in the conf files.

failing that, can you get an export of your realmdb from your old server and load it up on your new one to compare the settings ?

Sorry, thats all i can think of for now :(

Hi there, nice to meet you Antz!

Thank you for being so nice about it; so many of these types of forums seem to be filled with asses and jesters all the same. I never comment/post for fear of subjugation to the troll-fest that always seems to ensue. I'll try what you mentioned, and report the findings here!

Thanks again,

~Dude

EDIT **

Seems that the zone is already set to 1; thanks for suggesting that though. The ports seem to match too:

/opt/mangos-server/etc/realmd.conf (truncated for brevity):

############################################
# MaNGOS realmd configuration file         #
############################################

[RealmdConf]
ConfVersion=2010062001

LoginDatabaseInfo = "127.0.0.1;3306;mangos;mangos;realmd"
LogsDir = "/opt/mangos-server/logs"
MaxPingTime = 30
RealmServerPort = 3724
BindIP = "192.168.1.50"
PidFile = ""
LogLevel = 0
LogTime = 0
LogFile = "Realmd.log"
LogTimestamp = 0
LogFileLevel = 0
LogColors = ""
UseProcessors = 0
ProcessPriority = 1
WaitAtStartupError = 0
RealmsStateUpdateDelay = 20
WrongPass.MaxCount = 0
WrongPass.BanTime = 600
WrongPass.BanType = 0

/opt/mangos-server/etc/mangosd.conf (truncated for brevity):

#####################################
# MaNGOS Configuration file         #
#####################################

[MangosdConf]
ConfVersion=2010100901
RealmID = 1

DataDir = "/opt/mangos-server/data"
LogsDir = "/opt/mangos-server/logs"
LoginDatabaseInfo     = "127.0.0.1;3306;mangos;mangos;realmd"
WorldDatabaseInfo     = "127.0.0.1;3306;mangos;mangos;mangos"
CharacterDatabaseInfo = "127.0.0.1;3306;mangos;mangos;characters"
LoginDatabaseConnections = 1
WorldDatabaseConnections = 1
CharacterDatabaseConnections = 1
MaxPingTime = 30
WorldServerPort = 8085
BindIP = "192.168.1.50"

mysql capture:

scaled.php?server=266&filename=dbss.png&res=landing

FWIW -- I am using a 3.3.5a client to log in and to test connectivity (because I set my account level to WOTLK in the database)

-----

The client works with my other (3.3.5a) private server, which of course is shut down at this time.

Just guessing, but shouldn't your client install be version 4.3.4, even with only having wotlk?

Editting your account expansion level, does not mean editting patch nr.

FWIW -- I am using a 3.3.5a client to log in and to test connectivity (because I set my account level to WOTLK in the database)

-----

The client works with my other (3.3.5a) private server, which of course is shut down at this time.

Just guessing, but shouldn't your client install be version 4.3.4, even with only having wotlk?

Editting your account expansion level, does not mean editting patch nr.

That's a great question. I meant to refer to that in my post, asking if I should/shouldn't install it just to be safe. I am in the process of downloading one now (I'm a Mac user with a current Paid version installed, so it's harder to get working) for testing.

Thanks for your reply!!

Most welcome. :)

Small note after seeing your edit, probably not related though:

I think best to leave BindIP at default (0.0.0.0) for now.

BindIP

# Bind World/Realm Server to IP/hostname

# This option is useful for running multiple worldd/realmd instances

# on different IP addresses using default ports.

# DO NOT CHANGE THIS UNLESS YOU _REALLY_ KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING

#

Most welcome. :)

Small note after seeing your edit, probably not related though:

I think best to leave BindIP at default (0.0.0.0) for now.

BindIP

# Bind World/Realm Server to IP/hostname

# This option is useful for running multiple worldd/realmd instances

# on different IP addresses using default ports.

# DO NOT CHANGE THIS UNLESS YOU _REALLY_ KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING

#

Tried it, no difference. But thanks!

Heads up for any mac user in the same boat as me: I installed fresh client. 4.0.6 -- still no luck; will try to update to 4.3.4.

**edit 1**

I can't downgrade 5.0.5 game (made a copy of my current one). So, the next option is to torrent one, and find a 5.04, and downgrade it.

**edit 2**

It also just occurred to me that since I'm on a mac, I can boot it into WinBlows and download a 4.3.4a client for testing. I am doing this right now. Will post results.

After trying 4.0.6, and 4.3.4 on both Mac, and M$ -- I have decided to try to install our WOTLK branch -- I give up.

NO IP issues, no port issues -- the only other thing I can think of is a DB issue. I see TONS of errors for scripts that didn't apply, or items not existing, but none fatal. It starts up, and I can commit changes (ie: create and set player levels, logins, and passwords) but I'm not sure if that is enough to say its 'up'

Regardless, thanks all!

Archived