General mangosone help

minirafa

Question

To preface this, I've done this several times already over the past few years. Every time I want to dust off the private servers, the programs and stuff I find here that I NEED to download change back and forth.

I'm trying to host a simple mangosone server, but whatever guides i find are either incomplete or for a different version. I just spent the last hour trying to get movementmaps or whatever when ive never had to do them before. i have no idea how i'm supposed to find the database to actually use for my world, and i've searched and can't find anything.

in short all i need is an up-to-date(ish) guide for mangosone. thats all. i just cant find it.

25 answers to this question

The reason why most guides doesn't cover movementmaps is because it isn't mandatory required to run the server. You can find the source of the mmaps here https://github.com/mangosone/server/tree/master/contrib/mmap. Compile it and proceed further like you would do with the normal maps. Copy the executable to the World of Warcraft directory and call it through command prompt with administrator rights. Let it run, it will take several hours.

As second option you can follow this post, where you will be guided by a script. Although it is recommended not to use the pre-compiled MoveMapGen.exe, because it could be outdated. Recompile it by yourself.

There are several databases you can choose for your world. But make sure is is supported by the core. Or you can use mangos' own world database which you can find here https://github.com/mangosone/database.

yea thats what im talking about. that post is incomplete. it stops at messing with the sql. it doesnt cover the database stuff. i messed around with the database but there arent any npcs or items. nothing is telling me how to make it work now and the way i knew doesnt seem to work anymore.

I'm having this issue too, coming back into private servers after 3-4 years isn't fun. At least I know some of the ins and outs but a lot has changed, enough that I too am mostly lost on what I need to do to get this thing running. Fortunately I am writing up the process as I go along in hopes that it will help someone else.

I'm having this issue too, coming back into private servers after 3-4 years isn't fun. At least I know some of the ins and outs but a lot has changed, enough that I too am mostly lost on what I need to do to get this thing running. Fortunately I am writing up the process as I go along in hopes that it will help someone else.

yea. last time i did this i needed to use xamp and all this other crap and set up a database folder. the time before that i used sqlyog and some fancy script addons. none of this is coming together for me because ive done it different ways in the past every time.

i have my server running now, but there are no scripts at all(not to mention changing speed slows me down, but i know how i fixed that before) if anything, thats all i REALLY need help with right now

I'm getting there, just twiddling my thumbs while the MoveMapGen tool is running :P I'm still relatively confused about the database stuff, but I'll figure something out. Thanks for all the help so far. It would definitely suck more if there was no help haha :P

What's unclear about the database for your? If you let us know then we will be able to help you. And guessing where you need help is always difficult.

all i need help with are these:

no functioning scripts and i dont know how to get them(i may have an idea, but nothing exact)

database updates giving me errors because i dont know which specific version of core i have.

it seems i can never load in as a character after trying to load in with a blood elf or draenei

besides that, ive gotten everything else working(ish). its just the frustration setting in through things changing, and me not knowing how to make it work now.

The mentioned row in the log which contains the revision is the firts row in the log and looks like MaNGOS One/0.18.0 (* * Revision XXXX - *). Also you can type the command .server info which returns also the revision.

No scripts sounds for me like you didn't correctly compile the script library. In the server.log you can varify if the script library is loaded correctly. Look out for the key word scriptdev2.

Clone the repository https://github.com/mangosone/scripts into the server directory /src/bindings/ and build the solution. Afterwards you can find the mangosscripts.dll in the same output directory as for the server. Don't forget to set the correct database login credentials in scriptdev2.conf.

In script directory /sql/ you can find all necessery sql files. Apply (first) mangos_scriptname_clear.sql and (second) mangos_scriptname_full.sql to your world database and scriptdev2_script_full.sql to your scriptdev2 database.

You have been a tremendous help. Thank you! That only leaves me with one problem: whenever I make a draenei or blood elf character on an account, and then try to log in i get disconnected. Any time i try to log in after that, TBC character or not, it stops at fully loaded and then 30 seconds later tells me i've been disconnected. i can get around this by making a new account but the problem always arises the same way.

You have been a tremendous help. Thank you! That only leaves me with one problem: whenever I make a draenei or blood elf character on an account, and then try to log in i get disconnected. Any time i try to log in after that, TBC character or not, it stops at fully loaded and then 30 seconds later tells me i've been disconnected. i can get around this by making a new account but the problem always arises the same way.

If this only happens with the new races, I would think that you haven't set the right account level for your account.

I too have been away for a few months and am in shock about how much has happened. I have been running WotLK with UDB and notice there is some form of Mangos that does Cata but there are a bunch of DB options to populate your world. I am curious if there is some info on which databases are "better"? I know that can be a subjective question but maybe a few words on which databases are maybe cleaner or more complete. I am thinking on upgrading my current WOW server and just want to get some opinions on the databases...

1. Mangos seems to have databases...but are they as good as UDB for example?

2. I see Project Silvermoon is still around after all this time. How is that DB?

3. What is up with the YTDB databases? I can't find a web page with more info on those.

4. Does the Cata version run well? As good as WotLK core?

Mangos seems to have databases...but are they as good as UDB for example?

It depends. UDB may be a good choice if you look for a current WoW expansion, but it surely is a very bad choice for older expansions, since it has many issues there.

Personally I can only speak for the mangos-zero database, and there our database is way ahead of UDB or others in terms of quality. We have dedicated researchers, and do not mix vanilla content with WotLK content.

I see Project Silvermoon is still around after all this time. How is that DB?

Try the Silvermoon database, before asking for opinions. It's never good to start such a discussion if you have zero personal experience.

What is up with the YTDB databases? I can't find a web page with more info on those.

Please visit http://ytdb.ru/ for their website. You will need to speak Russian. The YTDB Subversion repository is at http://svn2.assembla.com/svn/ytdbase/

Does the Cata version run well? As good as WotLK core?

No. It's under development, we currently do consider it being in alpha stages.

Try the Silvermoon database, before asking for opinions. It's never good to start such a discussion if you have zero personal experience.

I am not going to load a world database and play it for hours/days just to see if I like it. I may have "zero" experience in Silvermoon for example...so I am asking others what their opinion is to help me come to a decision quicker. That is why I asked for opinions on them. I already gave reference that I use UDB so that can be measured against by others who used both UDB and "other" DB. I welcome the opinions of others and don't want to start a "this DB is the best war". This leads me to...

Personally I can only speak for the mangos-zero database, and there our database is way ahead of UDB or others in terms of quality. We have dedicated researchers, and do not mix vanilla content with WotLK content.

Which is a great opinion and is steering me to ditch UDB and try Mangos DB just because UDB seems to update their DB very slowly and I would like to run newer Mangos code. This is the sort of opinion I was asking for.

You will need to speak Russian. The YTDB Subversion repository...

No Russian for me...so this is out.

So it appears you helped me a bit by accident...so thanks.

Usually you hardly need to try out a database for hours, that is a bit exaggerated I would say. You can easily see how good a database is by trying out one or two random quests you know from live servers. If you never played the real thing, it would not matter anyway.

The difference in databases is usually in sources used, and research invested for updates supplied.

Yes, you can easily ditch the "try it" part, but I honestly can not recommend it. The part about experience and trying it was not intended to insult you, I was merely trying to express that seeing it for yourself is better in the end.

Anyway, enjoy whatever database you chose, and ask away if you need help with doing more.

Usually you hardly need to try out a database for hours, that is a bit exaggerated I would say. You can easily see how good a database is by trying out one or two random quests you know from live servers. If you never played the real thing, it would not matter anyway.

Good point. I never played live...ever...so I never really know if I am missing anything.

Yes, you can easily ditch the "try it" part, but I honestly can not recommend it. The part about experience and trying it was not intended to insult you, I was merely trying to express that seeing it for yourself is better in the end.

Well...I will end up "trying" it anyway, but to save me some effort I just wanted the opinions so I know what to "try" first. I didn't feel insulted by your responses.

Archived