Possible To Make A Client?

Guest count0

no additional data are loaded, no dbcs, maps, etc, this will come later. they are either in the core( like language names, race names, classes) or they get cached during beeing in the world (like playernames, and, in future, items/mobs/etc [like original W*W's WDB-cache system]).

for now its iportant to make it stable and to fix the memory leaks smile.gif (120 MB ram used after 15 mins of runtime tongue.gif).

does somebody know a website where i can download the wowmapview sourcecode? this would help A LOT! (you can find the tool at www.wowd.org -> developer information -> tools -> ... or so, i cant access the site atm, im posting from school and the site is locked here.)

thank you. smile.gif

btw: as soon as loading of copyrighted material is implemented, the project will be illegal. lol. we will see that later.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@danny: NO! the models are client based, and if i wanted to use those models i either had to draw them myself (lol!) or extract them wink.gif guess whats easier^^

this client does not depend from any data; what i was actually talking about was that you could basically suck a whole server's db and store it, then extract as .scp or sql data =)

So let me get this right, Currently, PseuWoW is legal, By that i mean not using DBCs or any models from the main client.

(I tried connecting to a server with your client but didnt want to work for me xD.)

Now, What exactly does your client do? Logs in yes, But does it display a window that you can see the World with? Like the main client, Just without the UI and what not.

Maybe you could take a screenshot of your client in action?

From what im understanding is, Your client as of yet does not display a window which shows the world,

But instead just logs into the world?

Im certainly not understand of what is happening because i havent used it, But the client cant display anything because it has no files for this. So basically, Your still perfecting it and coding in this part?.

you will see what it does when you are logged in and standing near the bot.

so far bogie is right, not much more then chatting implemented ( i have hardly time to code xD), there is also a simple silly following fuction, but i have noticed that it crashes the server unsure.gif

more updates will come when i have more time dry.gif you are welcome to post a patch or improvement anyway ^^

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ProjectEden @ Nov 17 2006, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

you will see what it does when you are logged in and standing near the bot.

so far bogie is right, not much more then chatting implemented ( i have hardly time to code xD), there is also a simple silly following fuction, but i have noticed that it crashes the server unsure.gif

more updates will come when i have more time dry.gif you are welcome to post a patch or improvement anyway ^^[/b]

Im still learning some C++ Aspects of client/server communication, But im sure i can come up with some form of patches tongue.gif . Although some of the code does look like jibberish blink.gif . Im going to continue to look for GUI Tutorials, And attempt to learn LUA to learn how to make a GUI Based off of it. Im sure its simple, But right now it seems like its Impossible xD. Thanks for a reply though, And even with not much time you still manage to get some done *Appluad*. Great program though, How did you manage to get the auth codes in? Did you just copy those from Mangos's Source code?

i copied the some useful c++ classes from mangos (ByteBuffer, Sha1Hash, BigNumber), that helped me to get realm auth working, but anyway i have figured the auth code out with some papers, packet dumps, the old LudM!ll@ packet documentation and the srp6 documentation. the world auth code was easy to do, i just looked which answers mangos expected.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ProjectEden @ Nov 17 2006, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

i copied the some useful c++ classes from mangos (ByteBuffer, Sha1Hash, BigNumber), that helped me to get realm auth working, but anyway i have figured the auth code out with some papers, packet dumps, the old LudM!ll@ packet documentation and the srp6 documentation. the world auth code was easy to do, i just looked which answers mangos expected.[/b]

Yeah those were what i meaning the ByteBuffer and what not tongue.gif.

I'm trying to find guides on how to code a GUI using C++ and Direct X but no luck yet. GameDev.net is a great place for any game developer to go to and use for examples and what not. But i still havent had any luck. I'm hoping i can just teach myself :S. Direct X 9 comes with documentation anyhow tongue.gif.

Hmmmm, I have been looking into more and more of how to make a client, I dont understand fully the GUI aspect as of yet :S. But i have been looking into how exactly the characters are modeled. And well, I do have to say, It is quite easy. And with my little knowledge im sure i could do something with the client, How i would do it i dont know but i do know it cant be too hard if all it does is change a model animation to a different one.

EDIT:

Seems as if W*Ws models are in M2. Ima have to keep learning on this though, As i am starting from little knowledge.

I would like to ask a question or two though.

Does the server send a packet to the client containing the ModelIDs for things? Like Creatures, Terrain, GameObjects, Other players, Etc.

And if so, Would i just be able to read the Packet information, Take it out of its array state, And pass the values into their own variables depending on the information held within the packet. Then take that modelID for terrain,GameObject,Player,Creature,Item, And, Grrrr, Nevermind that wouldnt work =\\. Ill still keep thinking tongue.gif.

Hmmm, Maybe you can help me? :S. Im trying to use DirectX again (Idk how to use OpenGL =\\.) And im creating my own GUI using mainly DirectX, But the problem im having with a program im trying to compile is its not wanting to use fstream.h =\\. Am i not allowed to use a C Runtime Library with C++/DirectX? :S.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ProjectEden @ Nov 19 2006, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

screw directX. openGL & SDL ftw^^[/b]

Concerning openGL & SDL, I couldn't agree more. But why screw dX? The best solution for X-platform application is a combination of SDL, opengl AND directx!

As directx and opengl are very similar, you can write a pure virtual interface class "IVideoDevice" and implement it as "COpenGLDevice" and "CDirectX9Device".

On windows you can choose whether you want to use directx or opengl. on linux there is only opengl, on xbox is only directx.

You can also very easily add "CDirectX8Device" to support older versions or use a "CNullDevice" which implements nothing and is therefore very fast and only used for tests.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purpleKarrot @ Nov 19 2006, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Concerning openGL & SDL, I couldn't agree more. But why screw dX? The best solution for X-platform application is a combination of SDL, opengl AND directx!

As directx and opengl are very similar, you can write a pure virtual interface class "IVideoDevice" and implement it as "COpenGLDevice" and "CDirectX9Device".

On windows you can choose whether you want to use directx or opengl. on linux there is only opengl, on xbox is only directx.

You can also very easily add "CDirectX8Device" to support older versions or use a "CNullDevice" which implements nothing and is therefore very fast and only used for tests.[/b]

So basically your talking about using a combo of SDL, And OpenGL along side DirectX9-DirectX8? Why would you want to do this, Offer multiple O/S Support in terms of having to only code one client? DirectX with OpenGL and SDL seems like it would be an alright combo, Seeing as youd have support for multiple O/S's. But concerning the pure virtual interface class, Cant this already be done with SDL? The only reason i could see using DirectX, OpenGL, And SDL in the same client would be multiple OS, And having a purely flexible client, As You would have many more functions to operate with and would trully have a virtual interface class. Im not expert, Infact im just now learning most Game Programming biggrin.gif.

@ purplekarrot: i got no idea what you were talking about biggrin.gif i have no idea about gui programming (yet), even less about 3D tongue.gif.

the reason why i want to use opengl only is the fact that it should run under linux someday, and d3d isnt rly runnable under linux (ok it is but only with wine). afaik there is no linux client wink.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lightlord @ Nov 20 2006, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Yea Linux is much more stable and secure than Windows.

ProjectEden: Nice project but u should update the chat a lil bit. smile.gif[/b]

Linux is stable and secure,windows not stable but secure if you know how to manage it,it just depend on the administrator .... anyway ya 'alternative' client should be good if based on opengl since it's classplatform and now it much more become more mature product like directx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carve @ Nov 22 2006, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

cool ideea having a client and all wink.gif have you figured out how to make server-client communicate stuff about a self-created world?for example a simple plane with a cube on it tongue.gif???[/b]

MangOS is already dealing with server side communicate stuff, which is a great help for figuring out the client side stuff.

MangOS + a client + self-created world(data) = new game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (count0 @ Nov 22 2006, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

MangOS is already dealing with server side communicate stuff, which is a great help for figuring out the client side stuff.

MangOS + a client + self-created world(data) = new game.[/b]

True, All that needs to be worried about is the 3D part, Everything else is communication with the server and what not. What needs to be done is only, Graphics, Communication, Setting up your own color base ( I think based on the Hex codes for color ), Scripting in the UI, And allowing custom UIs to run. Then you have youself a client pretty much. And with all that, You could make your own game pretty much, If MaNGoS let you xD.

Hi guys!

Im reading these forums for like 4 months, but not saying nothing at all tongue.gif

But this type of project is interesting to develop and include in MaNGOS.

But not in common client form. GMs use a special client. And is about that Im speaking about. This is the way a server admin can control the server AND play without 3rd tools and add-ons and lots of config files. Just make a client, include some fspecial GM frames on it and compile!

Well, I know programming too, and Im learning C++, then this type of project (speaking of MaNGOSm in its integrity) is good to learn and test my abilities.

I hope you enjoy my idea. smile.gif

cya wink.gif

EDIT:

Oh, about this:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

I'll be dreaming the day where factions could take over a whole city

Using a faction flag on linked GameObjects it should be possible no ?

Let me dream please[/b]

It will be possible in TBC, and I think you will implement it in ManGOS really quick.

PS.: Can you link me a MPQ viewer. Mine is broken to read the giant new MPQ files. Including TBC files. Thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use