Possible To Make A Client?

Guest count0

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anarion @ Mar 9 2007, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Around the net i found a GNU MMORPG, PlaneShift. Why don't you instead of trying to build a game from thin air start by changing an existing game like this one??

link: PlaneShift

PS: this game uses the Crystal Space 3d SDK engine for 3d rendering stuff

link: CS 3D[/b]

ive been wondering that very thing, the perspective of mangos i got when first starting awhile ago was that it was a general mmorpg server that will be able to run more than just W@W. I first imagined it working with lineage and games like that also but now that im using it i see more of the purpose. Getting it to the point where it would work with other free games like planeshift, or silkroad online would give it a better view for the public. Being that im not a coder, just a tinkerer and linux dork, I dont know how possible it would be to make the server work with these free mmorpg's. I have no doubts that if it were possible these games would help take mangos away from that fine line it treads...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xadin @ Mar 9 2007, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

ive been wondering that very thing, the perspective of mangos i got when first starting awhile ago was that it was a general mmorpg server that will be able to run more than just W@W. I first imagined it working with lineage and games like that also but now that im using it i see more of the purpose. Getting it to the point where it would work with other free games like planeshift, or silkroad online would give it a better view for the public. Being that im not a coder, just a tinkerer and linux dork, I dont know how possible it would be to make the server work with these free mmorpg's. I have no doubts that if it were possible these games would help take mangos away from that fine line it treads...[/b]

I think you missed the main topic, what i was saying is to make a NEW CLIENT based on those open source games, not using mangos for building servers for those games!

Ok, since I'm mainly a PHP/JS dev, it's a bit hard to understand stuff like data structures and network protocol =P, but I really like the idea of making a new client, graphical or not

But where I can get the info about the data struct. and the net. protocol, to get started? In the source code at the trac/wiki only?

In my noobiness, i've tried (back in the 1.4 patch time) to wrote a "proxy" for my wow in python, connecting in that time to a wowemu server, just to see what was under the hood. Result: "duh!". When I saw the Spades and Clubs symbol in the prompt, along with that square Smile, I gave up at that very moment =P

So it's very nice to see this thread here, and I hope the project keep growing (since to hope is all i can do to help =P)

btw: sorry my bad english

• 2 weeks later...

Just seeing this....

I developed a client a while back, I haven't really worked on it in the last few months: see http://www.jinxbot.net/index.php?title=Screenshots . It stays connected for ~3 minutes on the official servers, likely due to Warden; on unofficial servers, it lasts quite a while longer, I've stayed connected beyond 20 minutes, though on unofficial servers when I was testing it was rarely a scenario where I was getting anything useful because I didn't have any objects spawned....

I don't know if you want a world-displaying client or not; if so, mine wouldn't be suitable. But for just chatting and executing commands? Mine's great. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SABROG @ Dec 28 2006, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Ogre3d support Direct3d and OpenGL. See this project on Ogre3d, see like as w0w wink.gifhttp://www.ankh-game.de/

Yes this must be write with OpenGL, linux not support Direct3d smile.gif

Qt cant change screen resolution and show game in fullscreen. So game can be in window mode. But Qt can create "fullscreen" widget (window), he just strech on all desktop and hide taskbar.[/b]

i suggest to use irrlicht instead of ogre. its mroe light-weight, more user friendly, cross-platform, supports dx8, dx9, opengl, 2 software render modes. smile.gif

thx for the suggestion to use irrlicht, but you are too late tongue.gif already using it smile.gif

i'll move it to 2.0.x when i have time, but dont expect any major updates within the next 2 weeks.

btw is anyone willing to help the project? (code/database/scripts development). write me a pm!

helpers are really needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cormin @ Nov 8 2006, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

why would you make your own anyways.... goto walmart and get the trial client for 2 dollars[/b]

Honestly though making your own Client what ever plat you use is a major step. Why would you make your own video game and become sucsessful when you can just play other peoples games. SO that you can. Kudo's man on the first attempt. I have heard bout all these emu and I like Mangos because it not just for EMU its for creation. Now your almost there with them

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weavor @ Jun 14 2007, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Honestly though making your own Client what ever plat you use is a major step. Why would you make your own video game and become sucsessful when you can just play other peoples games. SO that you can. Kudo's man on the first attempt. I have heard bout all these emu and I like Mangos because it not just for EMU its for creation. Now your almost there with them[/b]

It's not even closely created for *EMU*

imo having something like an "official-educational" client for an educational mmorpg server that is just designed to be a SERVER, without any client, consolidates mangos' legality.

i dont want to claim there is or will ever be an "official" mangos client, but having one, opensrc and gpl-licensed, kinda affliated to the mangos project (like ScriptDev2), makes a yet clientless server a whole thing. my 2 cents.

Hey there,

I've headed over to MangOS to see what you guys are doing with Warc~; I'm kind of coming from OTfans (Tibia emulation community, www.otfans.com for OTfans and www.tibia.com for Tibia) As I've been developing a replacement Tibia client, I think I might be helpful with this one.

First of all, if you guys are thinking of writing a 3D client similar to Warc~, then I can lend you a hand since I've developed a 3D client for that 2D tile-based game. However, I need someone to guide me through the Warc~ protocol.

Second, I'd recommend using OpenGL. The window management should be cross platform, meaning you should use GLFW, SDL or GLUT. GLUT has fitted almost all my needs, and I have seen only one serious flaw - you can't get mouse cursor position while dragging. I wrote a small hack that fixes it under Windows, but I have no knowledge of X11 to make it work under GNU/Linux.

Third, regarding the copyright. Here are my thoughts. You got your graphics package legally, right? Well, then you can unpack it using your own software. I do not think that it's illegal since there were some W3 graphics viewers around, and I don't remember hearing that Blizzard shut them down. Besides, once you write your client, you can replace the graphics, too. With Warcraft, it's kind of a problem since there's 4GB of graphics to replace, but hey, nobody can stop you from embarking on that journey smile.gif You can map at least some parts of the World.

So, send me a mail or a PM using the forum software -- I'm watching over several forums already and I'll probably forget about this one. However, I'd like to help as much as I can, yet I need someone to point me to the right direction regarding protocol documentation or give me guidelines for looking around MangOS source code, or PseuWOW source code. I'll be glad to continue more detailed conversation via MSN or other IM client.

By the way, type in "outcast tibia" on Youtube; both clients are mine, the 3D version is the old one, the 2D is the new one. I plan to put the 3D back into the new version at some point, but I don't know when.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

mangos is not labeled as a (Place client name here) server, it is labeled as a general MMORPG server software. If you make a custom client, and instead of making the server fit the client, make this custom client fit the server, you would have your own genuine MMO, if this project is ever going to become anything more than a "server simulation" software, a client needs to be made so Mangos can be made around it. If you are buying the client at a store, you are just following the mob mentality of the rest of the mindless drones who play on the official servers.

HURRY UP WITH THE CLIENT

• 2 months later...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ProjectEden @ Nov 18 2006, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I kindof have to agree... OpenGL and SDL are cross plat. DirectX tends to keep it to the microsoftr side, which also includes Mac. But there are so few games of this nature for linux which support both graphic libraries. If a client could be built to support linux and OpenGL then it could eventully make its way to the console game plats like PS3. So yeah go for OpenGL.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use