New Linux Mangos database tool - to replace install_linux.sh

roadapathy

I just wrote this tool today for Linux, FreeBSD and Mac users. It's a database tool to install or update the world database as well as backup and restore your characters database.

Just chmod +x mangosdb.sh and edit the file to add your Mysql username and password.

Please let me know if you find any bugs or have some improvements!

UPDATE: The tool had one error where it would not restore character backups. That's fixed and I added the world database backup feature.

it works and it's fast :) at least under Win7.

maybe small improvement:

- add timestamp to the names of backup. if in directory with backups are already files, they are replaced with a new one.

- on clean install, maybe backup first then drop and replace with a new content?

it works and it's fast :) at least under Win7.

maybe small improvement:

- add timestamp to the names of backup. if in directory with backups are already files, they are replaced with a new one.

- on clean install, maybe backup first then drop and replace with a new content?

I agree and I had planned something along those lines but we'll be adding a lot of complication. I agree with you, though! Great minds...

The world database usually doesn't need to be backed up but we could do that. Typically when one installs it, they don't want the old one for whatever reason but I can easily add that feature.

Thank you for the input and ideas! I can't believe it works in Windows... I have to ask, why aren't you running your server on a -server- OS like Linux? You know, I'm going to share a Linux Kernel compiling guide as well so you can get the most out of your hardware. Imagine, your server could possibly support many more users. ;-)

http://compilethekernel.blogspot.com/

i'm not good in shell programming so i don't know if concatenating string in shell is hard or not. still, timestamp in name of file would be great.

db backup is always good choice, even if you delete if after update. still, it might save someone's db.

i'm not sure if it works by default under Win. i've already installed Git client, which comes with shell interpreter. it might be the cause of "it works under windows" ;)

i'm running my testing server under linux. still it's a virtual machine. i've just tested db under win.

anyway, great work and thx for a nice tool :)

i'm running my testing server under linux. still it's a virtual machine. i've just tested db under win.

Ohhh I see. I'll have a cut-and-paste guide here soon on how to install everything in the Ubuntu Linux distros. That means Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. I'm thinking about scripting the whole process but I don't know. I'm a student and it's hard to say what I'll have time for.

I'll work on the timestamp and world db backup. The world db backup is verrrrrrrrrrrry easy. I'll get that going right now.

Archived