Greyed out NPC portraits

Arkadus

I spent a day or so looking into this problem with greyed out NPC portraits when you lost aggro or when an NPC respawns that you just killed. From what i have figured out its based on the server to client communication. The server side information is correct as you can hit a greyed out mob and the portrait would switch to its correct portrait colour and you could loot it etc. So its something to do with the packets being sent to the client where its sending the packet about the mob's status before its finished resseting. I didnt play around with the packet system because im fairly certain i would end up breaking something. But if a dev could take this information maybe it could be of some use.

When you hit/spell damage/tap an NPC and run away from it till it loses aggro and runs back to its spawn point. Its portrait template changes from red/yellow to grey. The same thing happens if you kill an NPC and wait for it to respawn, once it respawns. Its a problem in 0.19 and 0.20 and probably all the other versions.

Archived