wolverine

Question

I need some help. I would like to figure out how to repair quests myself, but I don't have a clue where to look for the quest source itself. I thought that I would find them in the mangosd database, but didn't see anything there title quests. So, now I have to ask and I have to ask if anyone else is having trouble with some of the beginner quests for the Draenei...

The first quest is "Rescue the Survivors!" You are suppose to use your "Gift of the Naaru" but I couldn't get it to work. I left-clicked on a survivor and then I clicked on my "Gift of the Naaru" and the spell just fizzled out and nothing happened to the survivor and it did not count towards my completing the quest.

The second quest was "Innoculation." You are suppose to use an innoculation crystal on 6 Nestlewood Owlkin. I used it on several of them and it never counted toward the completion of this quest either. So far, the majority of the other quests are working just fine, but I am still in the Draenei starter area. I remember that both of these quests use to work.

I'm also getting quests out of order. Such as, I am suppose to kill the moths for their blood for the healing crystals. But as soon as I accept that quest, the finishing quest for the chain is already available. I don't even have to kill the moths if I don't want to and I can already go and turn their blood in. I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I played on a public server, perhaps it is suppose to work that way, but it just caught me off guard to have a quest chain where I get both the starting and finishing quests for the chain.

Either way, can somebody please walk me through the process of trying to repair these two quests? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

7 answers to this question

It looks out that both quest issues are related to the spells.

The quests are described in the quest_template table. The basic quest chaining requires PrevQuestId field, also NextQuestId one to present the next quest right after the player get rewarded for the current one. The more advanced chains require also ExclusiveGroup and NextQuestInChain fields.

So you need to learn the quest requirements (all fields with the names beginning at Req), then why they do not become satisfied.

P.S. I barely can help you with the particular Two server considering it as hopeless (and, under limited team resource condition, even harmful) in view of TC 3.3.5.

Alright. Since you suggested it was the spell itself that was misfiring, I started looking through the spell_template database to try and figure this out. Gift of the Naaru. I couldn't find anything wrong with the entry, so I'm getting ready to download Yabb DB or something for comparison. I found the quest ID 9283 and couldn't see anything wrong there, but then again, this is hard when the database is not fully documented yet. :(

So, I went on to the Required Creature entry and found that the Drainei Survivor was # 16483. Fine and dandy, but I'm still not finding what is wrong here. :(

Since your spell does not kill the NPC actually, the player has to get the kill credit somehow. So, the two steps are left: 1) consider the spell and ensure it hits, 2) organise kill credit, probably by EventAI "on spellhit" for the NPC 16483.

The spells are found in the Spell.dbc, while DB table `spell_template` has just few additional manually constructed "server-side" ones.

UPD. Oh, the mob has the SD2 script "npc_draenei_survivor". Then it is a more complicated task requiring the study of C++ script.

Check also whether the correkt ID for Gift of the Naaru is entered in ReqSpellCast.

The spell (actually, 7 ones for available classes) is the racial draenei ability not related to the particular mob. The spellcast itself must never be used as a quest requirement.

Ensure also that SD2 was enabled at the core build. The NPC is supposed to say something seeing the player.

Ugh. I followed the instructions in the newer tutorial and there was no mention of sd2. And it built just fine without sd2. This stinks. I'm not even positive how the heck to install sd2. I'm assuming that I just download it and somewhere in VS 2013 there will be a reference to SD2?

EDIT: Yeah, I've got the VS project open and there is no reference to scriptdev anywhere. :(

Edit: Alright. I've got the source for SD2. I'm trying to build it. Hopefully it will build and I can just move it or something?

EDIT: Think I got this figured out. I'm on 0.18 instead of 0.20. So, I'm going to recompile entirely from scratch again, I guess, and since SD2 is suppose to be built in, I'll pray that the stupid quests work after this nightmare. ;)

Archived