Extracting the game assets - help needed

forlorn1

Question

So I'm trying to figure out how to extract the game assets.

I've built the Mzero 0.20 server on Ubuntu 14.04, and everything seemed to go fine. I've got the 1.12.1 client installed on Windows 7. I've also copied the client install up to a separate directory on the Ubuntu server in case I could do the extraction better there.

I started trying to extract the assets on Ubuntu, since I'm a linux sysadmin by trade, so I figure it wouldn't be too bad. I wasn't able to find all the extractors in the location in wiki, nor was I able to get the ones I could find compiled. They would fail looking for libz and libmpq. Even though libz is installed and I built and install libmpq from the server git clone. I briefly looked at hacking the Cmake makefiles to add the libraries , but they are in /usr/lib, so I'm not sure why they aren't being found.

So I figured maybe it was easier on Windows. So I copied all the extractors over to the client directory on my W7 install, and then saw that the automated extraction script was a bash shell. I installed cygwin, but the script bombs out with an error in the DisplayHeader() function definition. Running the tools by hand results in

Read LiquidType.dbc file...Could not open DBCFile DBFilesClient\LiquidType.dbc.

Fatal error: Invalid LiquidType.dbc file format!

Is there anywhere a better documented way to proceed. I'd really like to get the server up to play with, and the mysql stuff looks pretty straightforward, but I can't get the assets extracted.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

1 answer to this question

Hello!

I tried switching to release20 branch and compiling Zero. By default, cmake options are set correctly (BUILD_TOOLS on, DEBUG off) in the root CMakeFile, so the extractors are placed to my install directory under bin/tools/. Just before that (after make) one can find the tool binaries in the build dir somewhere under src/tools/.

I ran the Win32 built extractors from linux shell (which gets installed with the git Win32 binary package) succesfully, but several months ago. I doubt there were some changes in the scheme since that. Just check the cmake settings mentioned above to get extractors, and copy all the extractor files to the client root directory. However, the extraction under Linux looks more appropriate to me in your case.

Archived