Database - Content Creation Tool

dOoM

Would you like to have a proper Database Management Tool for Mangos Zero?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a proper Database Management Tool for Mangos Zero?

• Yes, what a question!
    • Nah, don't waste your time

Hi everyone,

I've been around this community for quite some time, actually going back to wademu (if anyone remembers lol) and I was involved in content creation for the original Mangos about 10 years ago.

Recently nostalgia got the best of me, so here I am - experimenting with MangosZero.

I was wondering if there is a graphical user interface tool available to "easily" edit existing DB entries for MangosZero? I searched a bit but couldn't really find anything here on the forum.

Back in the days there were quite a lot of those around, however they should be obviously totally outdated as of today.

If there's none around - would there be any interest to have me try and create such a tool?

Would love some feedback.

Cheers

create such a tool?

If you wish, then just adopt Truice (is there a newer version? anyway not for classic), maybe after rewriting it in a sane programming language.

My personal opinion. It would be a useful tool lowering the (high enough) barrier to enter the Mangos project developing. But the usual drawback of such kind of tools is lowering the new "developer" skills also. It will be no more need for them to read at least description of the World DB tables. Is the wider envolvement worth the mean developing skill degradation? The question is for the project keepers; my answer, it isn't.

While I agree that having a tool do all the work you could degrade the development skill set, the ability to check references, flags etc. easily in a GUI is also a massive bonus.

On the Flip side, if you are creating a new world / custom content from scratch then this tool would be invaluable.

I have also considered putting together the same tool to help me track and debug issues

- Being able to call up an NPC and quickly check all the correct flags are set would be invaluable as a debugging tool.

Archived