Glossary of MaNGOS terminology

hexsorcerer

In the past week, I have downloaded, built, and setup a stable server to mess around with, as well as browsing through the source code.  My goal is to try to understand what MaNGOS is doing at a high-level before diving into the details, but this is proving rather difficult.  I frequently find myself asking the question "What is an X?", where X could be a Grid, a Tile, a Cell, or any other type of thing.

The wiki has been helpful to get an install up and running, but for trying to understand the problem domain it hasn't been quite as helpful.  I also built the documentation with Doxygen, but it's really more documentation on the API rather than the conceptual aspects.  

Are there any resources that explain in detail what MaNGOS is doing at a conceptual level?  Or would it be necessary to step through all the header files and try to piece it together through the various interfaces?

Archived