What are MAPs, MMAPs and VMAPs exactly?

Question

I know this is most likely a very newb question - but I've looked everywhere trying to find this answer. I know very well that maps, mmaps and vmaps need to be extracted in order to run MaNGOS and I have built MaNGOS many times and played around with the code quite a bit, but I would still not say that I have a strong understanding for what the maps, mmaps and vmaps really are.

Is there anyone that can explain what they really are? My basic understanding is that they are the map wireframes for the world for world of warcraft. But maybe I'm off base? I think it would benefit everyone to understand it more. Is there an article here that explains it in more details?

Edited by Shinzon

5 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much @antz, that actually was very helpful! Are those posts accurate?
So we still do not know what the “Hole Chunk” is for? I personally like puzzles. If I wanted to work on the reverse engineering of that, is there a team currently working on it? 

Edited by Shinzon
23 hours ago, Olion said:

You could look for a desciption of the source info, from which the map and other files are calculated by the extractors, at the cite https://wowdev.wiki. No one knows, how much accurate is it.

I was more asking how accurate the post was on us not knowing what the “Hole Chunk” is for. Has any further discovery been done down this road? I don’t see anything in the forums that indicate that we do know.

I'm not aware of any more information being available... but if it's found then please let me know, i would love to add it to the articles