bannor

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New version V1.02 released.

Validated against Mangos 11792+.

Whats New :

Can now send mass mail, items or gold from the server menu option.

Whats Fixed :

Portal manager has been fixed, old portal save files are no longer compatible due to the Mangos database growing in size and overwriting the area I was originally using for portal storage, I have now moved them to a new unused area.

MaNGOLin will not allow the loading of old portal saves to prevent corruption of the Mangos database.

Regards

Bannor

• 3 months later...

I am glad you're still working on MaNGOLin and even expanding the tools with MDReaM. It's a shame the Windows version had to be dropped. I guess selling applications for an open source project means fighting an uphill battle, no matter how reasonable the asking price for such a feature-rich utility.

With the explosion in popularity of portable devices, are there any plans for an Android or iOS version of these tools? Your expertise in Java would serve you well in creating mobile apps. Perhaps people would be willing to pay at an app store for the convenience of managing their game servers on the go. You wouldn't need all the features of the PC version, which would reduce the development workload, or you could have a "basic" and "pro" version. MaNGOLin Pro could be $10-$15, with the full features of the Linux version. Basic could be offered for half that and, once they've tried it, possibly convince people to spend the extra on Pro.

Hi Uncle

I never had any intention of making money of the backs of the Mangos folk as they do excellent work and make it available to us for nothing but just like the mangos folk get donations to maintain their infrastructure I also have to pay for mine and donations didnt work so I tried the "selling a product" route and that didnt work either so back to square one, im still broke, have missed the odd payment for the website, for a while sales of SelekTOR helped me keep the site going but even that has dwindled to zero.

At least by dropping the windows versions of my apps ive freed up more time to do other things it really was a nightmare to support multiple platforms even with Java and without any support I just got tired of the whole thing.

Ive considered doing an Android app for remote control of the servers, and MDReaM already has the remote server functionality for upto 20 simultaneous remote clients built in, its just disabled for the moment.

MDReaM server allows all mangos commands to be executed plus some additional ones ive added myself and the plan was to do an android client app to take advantage of that functionality, but without knowing if their is any market for it im not sure I can devote any time to it.

Im trying to look at how I can further MaNGOLin for Linux development, so if folks have anything they would like to see in MaNGOLin then feel free to suggest stuff either here or over at my own forums as I have kinda run out of ideas and am just doing bug fixes and code cleanup at the moment.

Cheers

Bannor

Well, if you get the hang of using Ajax in the Android OS to create "Mobile MaNGOS" (or "MaNG-Go"?), it might open up the door for you to make other mobile apps that could help pay the hosting bills. Given the massive explosion in the variety of devices that use Android, it's worth considering. The Android SDK and developer tools are all free, so the only questions are how much time can you spare and could you offer apps that people would pay to have?

The future is portable, after all. Handheld devices are dominating a market once controlled by the PC and game consoles. It's only a matter of time as the phones and tablets grow ever more powerful, and the technology curve is currently limited only by battery power. My wife's two-year old Android phone was already as powerful as an early Pentium PC. Modern devices are nearly as capable as the last generation of PC single-core CPUs. If the battery power curve is solved, you'll see phones and tablets that can run rings around dual-core PCs within the next three years, quad-core functionality in five years.

Us PC users will definitely be in the minority, once again, a niche market for hobbyists like it was in the 70s and early 80s.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use