MaNGOLin - Database admin tool for Mangos runs on Linux or Windows

bannor

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're devotion to constantly keeping MaNGOLin updated and improved is one of the best examples from which anyone should learn what it takes to be great in whatever endeavor one takes up, be it great or small. Starting what you finish takes commitment, but continuing to polish and nurture one's creation is a labor of love.

That shows in your work, bannor. MaNGOLin has quickly become an indispensable tool in my server toolbox. Thank you for this update and the generous spirit you've displayed in offering it for free. Lang may your lum reek!

• 2 weeks later...

@mrelfire

I have a host of new features such as character load/save and also a UDB database update feature planned but unfortunately I just cant afford to spare the time to implement them as MaNGOLin is having to take a back seat to commercial projects for the moment, I wish things were different and that people would donate but they dont so im pretty much only in maintenance mode for MaNGOLin at the moment although things may change in a few months time.

Cheers

Bannor

Rent, lights, and food take priority, which means you have to put your time into whatever pays the bills. I wish more people would donate to help your work with MaNGOLin.

If I were a rich man, I'd donate often and generously to Caledonia, MaNGOS, and a few other projects that have been gifts in my own life which has brought me many hours of fun while learning. For the time being, all I can offer is my thanks and best wishes for what you have managed to give to us all. I'm neck-deep in my own financial bind and literally have no spare cash.

For the rest of you, please give what you can to help bannor and MaNGOLin prosper! He's spent hundreds of hours and thousands of brain cells to offer us this brilliant tool to make life as a server admin so much easier. Isn't his good-hearted generosity worth something more?

Thanks Uncle

I perfectly understand if people cant donate simply because they dont have the money im in the same situation myself, I would love to donate to MaNGOS but i simply dont have the money, but ive been working on MaNGOLin since the idea came to me in mid 2007 and have not received a single donation to this day and it makes me wonder if i should even bother with it anymore, I certainly never expected to get rich but getting just enough to help pay for the website would of been nice.

Anyways at the moment I will continue to support MaNGOLin and try and progress it whenever i can, as you said in a previous post it is a kind of love affair for me as it was my first ever release of my own software under the GPL and not software I had written for others (companies) which is important to me.

As to financial binds, I can sympathise my situation isnt too great either but i hope things work out for you, thankfully I have family to fall back on and worst case may even move back to Scotland and get a decent job.

Regards

Bannor

I remember when the DotCom Bubble burst around the end of the 90's. There were programmers and other computer technicians lined up around the block at the unemployment offices. Web programmers were especially hit hard. You had guys with college diplomas flipping burgers at McDonald's just to pay the rent, instead of making big bucks developing web apps and e-commerce software.

The recent Mortgage Bubble has been even more harsh. Vermont doesn't exactly strike me as a hotbed of tech jobs, but I hope that those here who can't donate to Caledonia Computers will most certainly mention your company when they hear someone needs a freelance Java programmer. Perhaps you can also make some contacts through donating your talents to some high-profile open source projects, like Google's Ajax or the group working on Ruby.

Either way, I'll keep rooting for you. Thanks for your good wishes, too. :)

All you Mangoloids please do bannor a favor and mention Caledonia Computers to anyone you know that might be looking for a highly-skilled programmer!

Yeh rural Vermont is sadly lacking in tech jobs and general tech infrastructure plus my expertise is oil related think Aberdeen, Scotland or Houston, Texas are where its at as far as my abilities go but the wife wants to live here close to her mum so im kinda stuck for the moment but we will survive.

Im working on a paid add-on for MaNGOLin called MDReaM which is a few months away from completion so that might help if folks like it, otherwise I may just call it a day and go to work on more boring stuff that might make me some cash.

Here is a link to MDReaM with a current feature list and some screenshots, I would love to get some feedback in the blog comments from folks who might be interested (registration is not required), I should add the current version is for linux only but i plan to support windows within a couple of months of the linux release basically the same as i did for the original release of MaNGOLin.

Regards

Bannor

@Cartman87

Yep it would be nice to be able to shift characters between accounts but as i mentioned above I have a lot of plans for MaNGOLin such as support for Mangos Zero and 2.43 TBC but without support its just not going to happen, simply cant afford to spend time on it as my family need me to make some cash, that credit card bill is just not going to get paid by me working on freebies.

The code is open source GPL'd so if someone else wants to do it they are more than welcome to, as i said previously MaNGOLin will still move forward but its gonna be done on a long timescale.

Thanks for the suggestion though, i do appreciate them it was a good one that i hadn't considered and will certainly add it to the list of things to do, I do want MaNGOLin to be the best it can be.

Regards

Bannor

I had concern that revision "g" would be the last update for the foreseeable future, based on the conversation. Thanks for keeping at it, bannor. :)

I hope the rest of you realize that MaNGOLin is the only standalone server admin utility that is currently being maintained and actively developed. Unless you want to trouble yourselves to set up a web server with PHP, MaNGOLin is the GUI tool for your MaNGOS server needs.

Show your support for this brilliant work! Donate or contribute your own code to help MaNGOLin continue to grow and improve. ;)

Hi Uncle

Nope im still maintaining it on a regular basis, in fact im working on another bug fix release plus some code clean up which should be available in the next week or so.

Im trying to get a rock solid reasonably bug free base prior to adding more bug... err features for a 0.98 release as im running out of letters in the alphabet.

Most future releases of MaNGOLin will be bug fixes and maintaining Mangos compatibility only, new features will arrive but at a snails pace im afraid.

Cheers

Bannor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Im afraid the latest incarnation of MaNGOLin is now no longer available for free.

I would like to thank everyone for who voiced their thanks in these forums over the last 4 years especially to UncleNuke who's posts kept me slogging away at this longer than I probably would have without them.

I will still be hanging about these forums but obviously folks who want to continue with MaNGOLin should click the website link in my profile for any future updates/notifications.

I will be contacting a moderator to have this thread closed in the next few days, as I feel it would not be right to continue updating this thread due to MaNGOLin's new commercial status.

Slàinte mhath

Bannor

• 2 weeks later...

Ive decided for the moment to make the full unrestricted Linux version of MaNGOLin available for free and therefore this thread will be left open but strictly for the Linux version only, regardless of the thread subject title which im unable to change.

Cheers

Bannor

• 1 month later...

End of an era. :(

I certainly wish you all the best and great success with the commercial version of MaNGOLin. With so many features and powerful tools just a mouse-click away, the asking price is still such a bargain that anyone should strongly consider spending the cash for the best stand-alone administrator tool there is for MaNGOS. Thank you for the hours and years you have so kindly given to us all, Bannor. If there were even a tenth of the members here that possess the same talent and devotion you've put into MaNGOLin, the MaNGOS Project would be light-years ahead of its current state.

You've been a shining example that all developers, even all members, should strive to follow. That is the enduring legacy you've bestowed to this community.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use