lag issue.

Guest onlysd

1GBIT uplink dedicated server

8GB RAM

Windows 2003 Server..

Maybe more details like ...

- Is it a 32 or 64bit OS?

- What kind of HDDs are installed, do you have a HW RAID?

- What are the CPUs? Can you maybe post all HW details?

- Is MySQL running on the same machine?

- Why are you using Windows for a Mangos Testserver?

- What are your server settings?

Vladimir says ist related to Windows. Please open your Task Manager, if you see your CPU Usage rise to 100% of one core (=50% on a dual core cpu), you have this certain lag issue, all windows server users have.

And what about Windows XP? Just asking because you mention windows server explicitly.

The issue you described is here on Mangos for ages...by the time ACE threads got implemented(?)...is that the reason of the lag? Assuming ACE is the problem, is there nobody here, like derex who implemented it I believe, who can solve this issue for windows server users? Or is there a workaround maybe? (pleas don't say; use linux :P )

Unfortunatly I am not capable of good developing...instead of solving I will probably break more :o

Thanks anyway! Mangos is doing great work here!

I've used Windows Server 2003 for over a year to test out MaNGOS, and I have also been dealing with the same issue. I've tried everything listed on these forums, use custom patches, turn Nagle on or off, turn vmaps on or off, reduce tester population, try every setting that is related to resource usage in the config, and many more. In the end, none of it really fixed the issue.

The best answer at this point in time is to indeed use Linux. It took me a week of proper research and then a full day to process the migration, but it's the best choice I've made yet.

Sorry m8, to fix this problem, MaNGOS will have to be optimized for Windows, which might take a while. If you want a quick solution, the answer is indeed use Linux.

And if you'll take my word for it, if you just use your test-rig to run MaNGOS and its associated programs, you will see your lag disappear like snow in the sun.

Good luck!

Porsj, thanks for you extended reply. I know you are right... I had a linux server before and never had the lag issue. Problem is that I own a physical server in a datacentre far away from my home. And once I had a kernel panic while all the hardware was working fine. Unfortunately my knowledge in linux is not very good. Just basics is not a problem but running and maintaining a server with several functions, like mailserver, web etc. etc. is something else in my opinion.

That's why I decided to go for Win2k3 server just for the maintainablity and because om my -not enough- knowledge about *unix. But never expected that this could have so much effect on performance...I think it is really strange...Do the developers have a clue what it could be? Or are there 'hacks' possible for windows?

Any help would be appreciated really.

In the worst case I need to find some time and.....RTFM :P

Assuming ACE is the problem, is there nobody here, like derex who implemented it I believe, who can solve this issue for windows server users? Or is there a workaround maybe? (pleas don't say; use linux :P )

Believe me, we tried everything. After all, we are switching to linux, although I liked windows server 2003 very much.

Believe me, we tried everything. After all, we are switching to linux, although I liked windows server 2003 very much.

Thanks. I do believe you guys tried everything. There a quite a few professional developers here, so it must be a big and very strange problem I guess.

Well....it seems that there is nothing else left to do then kick some linux flavor on my server...

Anyway, appreciate the answers here. And if someone has something to add or has a solution :P for this problem....please react! ;)

Uhmm, well as we speak I am installing Ubuntu Server Edition. I was just wondering, is there for mangos a difference of performance between 64 or 32 bits OS? Just better to ask you guys before I got everything pretty much running and chosen the wrong install. Win2k3 was a bad chose, not a second one preferably ;)

depends on how much RAM you have on the machine. If you have atleast 6, go 64bit. If you have anything less you may as well stay 32 bit because the 64 bit pointers take up a bit more RAM.

Alrighty, I have 5gig in my server so you would advise me to go for 32bit? I read that PAE(or PEA?) was enabled on 32 bit too for higher memory support I believe.

But, instead of the above, there is no difference between mangos 32 or 64bit?

Disable the GridUnload feature and tell me if it worked =)

It worked for me at least =)

Hey there, well you have to trust me I tried everything(as far as I know). Tried all the settings in de conf files like Gridunload, vmaps etc. Did a lot of research on the mysql database settings. Have plenty of server power and very good connection(1gigabit upload ^_^ )

At the moment I have some custom patches otherwise it isn't playable at all. I'm using OpenMP to have multithreaded maps and the awesome performance patches from Ambal. So...I really don't know what else to do...except for the switch to *unix...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use