Mangos' Stability

• 39 years later...

Hello all,

I've just switched from ArcEmu to MaNGOS because ArcEmu is the most unstable core there is and there are alot of minor bugs which their developers wont even bother fixing.

I've heard alot of things about MaNGOS, and i feel that it'd be WAY WAY WAY better than sucky arcemu

I want to start a PvP Server(Instant 80 with Free items), which means players will be using alot of spells and etc.

I want to know the uptime of MaNGOS on a working server with players

Thank you all!

No-one can tell you the uptimes which such information, it's quite the same if you'd ask how far can you drive a car without telling the amount of gasoline you have.

But anyway if it's just normal player spells used and pvp, i don't think there will be much other problems than the hardware requirements for supporting the clients.

Depends greatly on what stability patches you add, amount of players, and the way they play.

With ~200 users we generally get around 2 ~ 3 days uptime on our TBC server. We removed Reflective Shield from priests though, as it crashes the server in PvP just about every half hour and Mangos dev's seem unwilling to fix it. Spell damage caused by aura's (in PvP mostly) is still our #1 crash cause, other than that it's fairly stable.

A kind of "Stable Revision" thread is really missing here, all other forums have such a thread and I even saw similar things on the Russian Mangos forum. I'm quite curios how the latest 0.12 (2.4.3) revisions are, and I didn't heard anything about that Reflective Shield issue yet. The old 2.4.3 revisions from Nov08 are at least very stable (3-4 day uptime, 1k online) but I cant tell you anything about the new ones.

i know... After i've tested it... I love it... My old server was going so well but in the new patch alot of crashes.... So my server is almost dead... Making a new server... Please some one tell me where is the pvp kill handler in the code

Player::RewardPlayerAndGroupAtKill(Unit* pVictim) ?

With right OS/Hardware/Rev/Patches you can get days of uptime below 1k clients, I'm not sure about more. But performance/stability is getting better thanks to ambal's recent patches =)

And you should not bash other projects, despite people who ruined them there were really wonderful coders.

With right OS/Hardware/Rev/Patches you can get days of uptime below 1k clients.

No offense, but no, you can't, unless you also include custom patches designed to fix / remove crashing abilities.

I have tried several times with a completely clean DB, latest matching revisions of SD2, UDB and Mangos (for TBC) and could barely get an hour or two uptime with ~150 users on. This is on a completely dedicated server with latest OS updates. Might be different for linux (we run our servers on windows server 2003), but I very much doubt it.

Are these crashes due to the OS or compile then? Not likely: once our testserver ran the same version for around 140 days without crash (mostly as test to see how long we could keep it up - at that point I had to take it down to replace server hardware). Of course, since it was a testserver, it never had more than 5 users online at the same time.

Certain things players do simply crash the server. In my experience almost all of this is due to aura's / spellcasting / custom objects in the realm, like a Paladins Retribution Aura around revision 8200 crashing the server when he attacks a mob in netherstorm, or a priests reflective shield which somehow also crashes the server in PvP combat, or an attacking mob when you leave an instance or even a corpse in a cleaned up instance. Made a few bugreports about it, but nobody seems to care or is able to find a solution - and I'll admit we are still unsure ourself about what exactly causes crashes sometimes.

A kind of "Stable Revision" thread is really missing here, all other forums have such a thread and I even saw similar things on the Russian Mangos forum. I'm quite curios how the latest 0.12 (2.4.3) revisions are, and I didn't heard anything about that Reflective Shield issue yet. The old 2.4.3 revisions from Nov08 are at least very stable (3-4 day uptime, 1k online) but I cant tell you anything about the new ones.

There is actually a discussion going on here about a different release style, with marked milestones and asociated feature-freezes. I would very much like to see something like that, but dev's disagree unfortunately. As it is, we usually compile, put a version up on the testserver, keep a very close eye on the bug report section and if after a week there are no new crash reports for that revision (like these). we update Generally works out :)

Best uptime I've had was with ~700Max players while using Windows 7, 8GB DDR2 RAM, 3.6Ghz Dual Core, and some nasty writing speeds on my HDD's which I forgot the exact amount of. :S Lasted over two and a half week and then I decided I should update the core for once because there was a switch between game clients. :]

Allot of you seem to get amazing uptime and I was wondering if you guys can post what OS, proccessor and other good stuff you guys using. On windows 2008 we bearly get 2-3 hours before mangos starts to loop. (60-100 players)

Most freezes can be avoided with "DetectPosCollision = 0" in mangosd.conf