MMaps Redux

Guest auntieMangos

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

updated to [11204]

Also created a new branch, mmaps_clean - it is a rebased version of mmaps_rewrite

With qsa's approval, I will post this branch in Under Review forum

It cannot hurt us. Maybe we'll get it reviwed and some ideas for improvement.

But prior, I'de love to get feedback about some of our latest changes. Those thread issues in particular.

Cheers.

But prior, I'de love to get feedback about some of our latest changes. Those thread issues in particular.

Cheers.

Now i am upgrading my servers to 48 GB DDR3 ECC in order to continue tests with high populated and mtmaps enviroment realms.

Stay tuned!

Cheers.

Now i am upgrading my servers to 48 GB DDR3 ECC in order to continue tests with high populated and mtmaps enviroment realms.

Stay tuned!

New versions don't need that kind of memory sizes, but it surely cannot hurt.

I'm looking forward for results, thanks.

ERROR:1308623044's Path Build failed: invalid polyRef in path
ERROR:184648746's Path Build failed: invalid polyRef in path
ERROR:184648762's Path Build failed: invalid polyRef in path

Are these messages useful?

Depends how often you get those, I can imagine few cases when it is "expected".

If it is often, this may indicate some problem.

That number is GUID of creature that encountered it, so it vary from system to another.

Hi !

I'm using this branch :

https://github.com/faramir118/mangos/tree/mmaps_clean

I have problems with all the mobs which fly. Some bosses, as the lich king, move under the map when we attack them.

Am I alone with this problem?

Thanks by advance :)

I advice you to try other branch. Maybe something gone missing at porting.

If the issue persist, please provide additional information - location, etc.

I know for a fact that flying creatures do work just fine on my test machine. I'm sure other's can confirm this.

Lich king has different issue - his thrown is GO, the actual ground is far below. So it can cause issues. I advice on disabling pathfinding for him, from his script.

Tested with 3000+ players online in *nix and mtmaps environment

Uptime: 18 hours

Mtmaps.UpdateThreads = 3

RAM used after 17 hours = 12,7 GB de RAM

Crashes or issues reported: None for now

CPU: Intel Bi Xeon X5650 2 x 6 x 2 x 2.66+GHz

RAM: 48 GB DDR3 ECC

Still testing... stay tuned!

Some bugs reported:

Pets are attacking themselves until they reach their target.

When the pet's target moves behind a column, stand still in but should return to the hunter or continue moving to the target. (don't know how does it works on retail).

Some bosses, as the lich king, move under the map when we attack them.

Same problem here, but don't know if is mmaps related ;-)

Player being under effect of fear, disorient and other auras causing it to lose movement control, cause the player to fall under map texture when moving on nonflat surfaces. Can this be fixed by mmaps?

Maybe is possible to implement pathfinding use in ConfuseMovementGenerator but not yet implemented.

Some bugs reported:

Pets are attacking themselves until they reach their target.

Can anyone can please confirm this?

It isn't sound like something related to mmaps, nor I can reproduce it on local.

When the pet's target moves behind a column, stand still in but should return to the hunter or continue moving to the target. (don't know how does it works on retail).

Pet stop following when they fail generating path.

This is done to avoid logical loop.

Lets assume while pet was failing to move, it would try to come back to its owner, then fail again - loop with no exit point.

What happens now, is that, it just stops. Player can click follow/attack again, to try once more.

Some bosses, as the lich king, move under the map when we attack them.

Same problem here, but don't know if is mmaps related ;-)

Same problem, same solution - read above, this issue been addressed multiple times.

Can you please provide server statistics : CPU/MEM usage w/out mmaps? What mmap revision used? Uptimes ...

Things like that. Thanks in advance.

Player being under effect of fear, disorient and other auras causing it to lose movement control, cause the player to fall under map texture when moving on nonflat surfaces. Can this be fixed by mmaps?

Maybe is possible to implement pathfinding use in ConfuseMovementGenerator but not yet implemented.

About confused/fleeing movement generators :

I don't think we really need pathfinding for those. You see, on those distances, visibility implies reachability. In other words, simple LoS check will do just fine. The reason players fell down while confused, is lack of those checks.

Below code (around line 47 ConfusedMovementGenerator.cpp) will do the trick.

// check LOS
       if(!unit.IsWithinLOS(i_waypoints[idx][0], i_waypoints[idx][1], z))
       {
           i_waypoints[idx][0] = idx > 0 ? i_waypoints[idx-1][0] : x;
           i_waypoints[idx][1] = idx > 0 ? i_waypoints[idx-1][1] : y;
       }

In conclusion, I think adding pathfinding to those generators, will not solve anything better - it will only create more corner cases (taking long path to get near-by point). Nor it will simplify the code, therefore, it is not necessary.

Cheers.

sorry for double post...

I don't think adding vmap checks will solve the falling-underground problem, because vmaps don't perform tests on terrain terrain. I can see the corner cases where the random destination is on the other side of a wall, so our path takes us through 10 rooms. This is a problem with the naive random destination selection - it only cares about euclidean distance, not walking distance.

There are some detour-provided things we can leverage to solve this problem. dtNavMeshQuery::findLocalNeighbourhood will give us reachable polygons within a certain range, which can confine our 'random' destination to an area that is reasonably within the walking distance we specify.

I am going to start writing something to explain this project, more detailed than 'look at the code'- what has changed, what is new, how it works, etc. This will hopefully help any reviewer(s).

I need help finding a db for zero and one (everything seems out of date)

I think X-Savior took over TBCDB and moved the source repository back to SVN. ( Those UDB and SD2 guys seem to hate Git. lol ) DasBlub's Github repo for TBCDB hasn't been updated in a long time. I'm not sure if he even runs the project anymore, since X-Savior is listed as the sole owner of TBCDB at Sourceforge.

You can either grab the database by downloading it as a tarball here... http://tbc-db.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tbc-db/?view=tar

Or grab it via SVN here...

svn co [url]https://tbc-db.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tbc-db[/url] tbc-db 

Last update was Jan. 9, 2011.

Also, thank you for taking extra pains to document mmaps. The development history for it has been a long and convoluted path, so a clarified overview would be most helpful. Thank you for all your hard work, faramir. You're one of the best. :)