So long.. and thanks for all the fish..

Guest BlueSteel

This is a sad day indeed for me. After being in the mangos community for well over a year i'm having to say farewell.

I unfortunatly can't come to terms with GIT .. i've tried many times to use GIT and its definatly not user friendly like SVN.

I do understand however that GIT is a more powerfull system where you can pull in other patches from in the system and hence make your own build of the project and hence no revision numbers as that would be unsustainable.. you'd have to have version numbers gor every file you grabbed.

I'd expect that the reason that mangos chose this road is to allow developers of patches the ability to manage them themselves but i could be wrong (eg: arena/battle patch) so that people who want to apply them can and those who don't want it don't have to apply it

This to me sounds very messy .. again I appologise if i'm wrong and got the wrong end of the stick

I like many others with the downtime of mangos have gone over to Trinity which has stuck with the SVN and applied some loong awaited patches.

I shall miss a lot of people here as thats what makes/breaks a community.

so so long.. farewell.. and thanks for all the fish (from Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy)

This is a sad day indeed for me. After being in the mangos community for well over a year i'm having to say farewell.

so so long.. farewell.. and thanks for all the fish (from Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy)

This is, what the devs might want :( Anyway let me add this nice poetry in my sig and say farewell. I'm damn close to leave aswell...

This is, what the devs might want

Why would they want that? What would be gained?

I'd expect that the reason that mangos chose this road is to allow developers of patches the ability to manage them themselves but i could be wrong

For some time, MaNGOS has been among the top BW consumers on Sourceforge. Sourceforge has not been overly happy with this. Git uses much less BW than SVN does.

Applying Occam's Razor leads to the logical conclusion that this was done to reduce bandwidth consumed, instead of the illogical conclusion that devs are trying to drive away community members.

Overly exaggerated analogy, but it's like liposuction. You could exercise, and put in the effort to lose the fat, or go to the "easy" alternative.

MaNGOS allowed my to explore Git, and enjoy it for its advantages. I'm making the transition to stop using SVN as I find Git to be a much better solution :)

I'm still here (registered a new profile, old Alex/AT profile is dead because old forum had old e-mail specified), but in the meanwhile will stick to debugging TCore until situation around GIT resolves. No easy possibility of revision number tracking in GIT is a very bad thing. Maybe will work it around using local GIT->SVN translation, but that takes time.

No offense. But as it sits right now with patching the scripting system and patching the udb and this and that. It usually takes me 4 or 5 hours to get manos up and working and 9 times out 10 the scripting system is usually broke and a good portion of the quest never work.

I'm not saying it's entirly mangos fault or udb's fault or what not but I'm studing programing and the whole thing seems like a huge jumbles and it's hard because it usually takes me a day to get the server where it's suppose to be and if I actually get all the scripting in my database is always fubar.

When I put up the trinity test server to see if they were talking shit or were going to actually do something. I was able to complie it in about 1 hour and 40 minutes (old P4 cpu doing the compliing). Installed the database and it's been up since the day I complied it.

I xfered everyones accounts over to trinity while I was patching mangos and asked one of my gm's to go in and keep an ear on things. I got a lot of emails and such saying the system appeared more stable and more of the quests and scripts worked. Most of the lvl 10 class specific quests were working. I mean users have a way of finding silly things.

Anyways, maybe its some food for thought...considering consolidating bringing some things together..look at how the current process is being done and see if can't come up with a way of making everyone's life easier...

Just an idea.

P.S. I've been with mangos almost since the begining. I don't know what happened to my orginal account.

Installation of MaNGOS for hours???

I can't belive that actually, the GIT is speed improvement for me.

Last time I tried to fetch a patch from SVN for hours, it was failing every time.

Correct.

Writing patches and managing them is also easier and faster.

I'm still here (registered a new profile, old Alex/AT profile is dead because old forum had old e-mail specified), but in the meanwhile will stick to debugging TCore until situation around GIT resolves. No easy possibility of revision number tracking in GIT is a very bad thing. Maybe will work it around using local GIT->SVN translation, but that takes time.

I must disagree, if you click here you will find a very good tracking system, and even more faster then the svn one. Offcourse the svn one had thousands of revisions, so we can't just wait and see how this one will evolve in the future.

svn track here -> http://github.com/mangos/mangos/commits/master/

what the hell wrong with you people?

1. @Kalash: Writing patches and managing them is also easier and faster.

you are absolutely retarded and stupid if you think so. really.

you give me argument why

* creating patch

* uploading it somewhere

* waiting for it to be applied

* getting response it cant be applied because of conflicts

* fixing patch or fixing working repo and recreating patch

* re-uploading patch

* waiting for patch to be applied

easier than just fork repository, create branch and request for pulling?

until you give me reasonable arguments - you are retarded and stupid for me. because you dont read and dont learn and only can write complains.

2. Having no revision numbers is a complete mess of things.

why is it mess?

why UDB/whatever guys cannot make a fork of mangos on github and commit their patches with whatever numbering they want?

all they need is to pull from mangos/master and add their sql update or whatever - voila. you dont have to deal with any revision numbers.

same thing with scripting engines - make a fork and update it from master whenever you want. fix crashes and name your branch stable.

what is so hard about it?

nobody has to deal wuth any revision numbering crap.

why UDB/whatever guys cannot make a fork of mangos on github and commit their patches with whatever numbering they want?

all they need is to pull from mangos/master and add their sql update or whatever - voila. you dont have to deal with any revision numbers.

There's no need for us to fork MaNGOS. We're a database, not the engine team.

Since MaNGOS will be naming SQL updates by the date they were committed, when we do a release all we have to do is list what date our release works with. It will continue to work until MaNGOS commits a new SQL update.

Quite simple, and no forking around required. :P

what the hell wrong with you people?

1. @Kalash: Writing patches and managing them is also easier and faster.

you are absolutely retarded and stupid if you think so. really.

you give me argument why

* creating patch

* uploading it somewhere

* waiting for it to be applied

* getting response it cant be applied because of conflicts

* fixing patch or fixing working repo and recreating patch

* re-uploading patch

* waiting for patch to be applied

easier than just fork repository, create branch and request for pulling?

until you give me reasonable arguments - you are retarded and stupid for me. because you dont read and dont learn and only can write complains.

2. Having no revision numbers is a complete mess of things.

why is it mess?

same thing with scripting engines - make a fork and update it from master whenever you want. fix crashes and name your branch stable.

what is so hard about it?

nobody has to deal wuth any revision numbering crap.

You do realize that my retarded, stupid self, was complimenting Git rather than SVN, right?

Right. :rolleyes:

ok, i apologize - i misunderstood your message

it was madness blinded me because of stupid and retarded people who think svn is better for mangos :D

sorry

This is just a suggestion but I would refrain from calling people stupid or retarded. This could be constituted as flaming and result in a ban from the board. I am not a moderator but if you notice Dave warned of such language.

Just looking out for the best interest of you and the rest of the community.

Regards,

JDG

there is absolutely no way i could change my attitude to people who dont read and dont learn. i can skip those not-very-kind words about them but hey - you know those words anyway

it's just driving me crazy when people complain about things and saying smth is crap without a single argument - those are the kind of people who should be banned

i apologized

i dont see people apologizing about thinking svn is better than git ;)

also misunderstanding is not not-reading :P

Though some people think, svn might be better, they might be mistaken but don´t need to appologize for their opinion, probably they have their reasons. But there is no excuse and absolutely no reason to verbally attack people in that offensive way and blaming for things the judge is (not) doing for himself. If you read or misunderstood the post, who cares. If I were in your shoes, I would rethink my social skills.

Think about that.

I (and all people i communicate with) are absolutely satisfied with my social skills. i have nothing against people i like and share same correct thoughts with and i can be very offensive to ignorant people who are trying to convince me or anybody in something absolutely ridiculous.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use